General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer roller tension Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-19 8:18 PM

, New York
Subject: Trainer roller tension
I've noticed with the same gearing, depending on how much tension I put on the wheel for the trainer roller will increase the resistance. What is a good rule of thumb when putting the roller in place

2017-01-20 5:13 AM
in reply to: #5210846

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Trainer roller tension
The instructions for mine (can't remember brand right off the top of my head) said 1.5 turns of the tension crank after the roller touches the wheel. Works well for me.
2017-01-20 1:33 PM
in reply to: Dsgcobra

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I tighten mine until the tire doesn't slip when I give the wheel a good yank.

2017-01-20 1:55 PM

User image

Temperance, Michigan
great question I wasn't sure if I was doing it right either but found this online:

Tire Placement on a Stationary Trainer

Stationary trainers are known for eating away at rear tires because of the pressure used to press it against the drum. Since the bike doesn’t move or lean like it would outdoors, all this pressure is concentrated on a very small portion of the tire’s tread, leading to a worn out tire.

You can’t completely avoid this, but setting up the trainer properly will help maximize tire life and riding comfort.

First, make sure things are clean. Wipe down the tire and roller surface using isopropyl alcohol.

Second, inflate the tire to its maximum pressure. This should be about 110-130psi.

Third, tighten down the roller.

Typically you tighten things down until the roller is just tight enough on the tire that it doesn’t skip when you ride. It should be no tighter than is necessary.

Start out by tightening it down some, just until the drum touches the tire. Then give the tire a quick tug and see if it slips. You should pull in the direction of rotation, i.e. up and back when pulling from behind. If the tire slips, tighten a bit more.

Once the wheel no longer slips when yanked by hand, get on the bike and ride. If the wheel skips, tighten the knob a bit more. Repeat as necessary.

Like I said, you’ll still get tire wear, though. That’s the nature of the beast known as the indoor trainer.

Your best defense is good tire selection. You could use cheap, heavy tires or invest in a Continental Trainer Tire that is made specifically to last long on an indoor trainer.

If you’re using a nice, expensive tire on your indoor trainer, that’s a bad idea! You’ll waste a lot of money!

Lastly, after your workout, loosen the drum so it’s not pressed against the tire. If you leave it tightened down when not in use, the tire will develop a flat spot and will ride terribly.

Put these tips into action each time you set up your indoor trainer and you should have less hassle, more comfort, and increased tire life.
2017-01-21 8:42 AM
in reply to: Bocrunning

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Do NOT inflate to maximum pressure! There's two main reasons, first you reduce the contact patch between the tire and the roller, hence increasing slip. Second, and probably most important, the friction from the roller will heat up the tire (hence why you use a trainer tire and not a road tire), which then will expand the air, which could cause a blow out (yes seen it happen more than once when people overinflated the tire on the trainer).
2017-01-23 3:24 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

, New York
thank you for all the feed back!!

2017-01-24 9:20 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I use virtual power and want consistency in the setup and use the following for "calibration".  If you have a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer with light flywheel, when unit is cold perform a coast down time check from 20 mph.  It should be ~12 sec, this will approx. align with the published speed vs power curve based on a post here many years ago.

If some other trainer brand, you could do the same thing for consistency.  Find a tension where the rear wheel won't slip and check to see how long it takes to do a coast down from X mph and use that for your "cal".

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer roller tension Rss Feed