General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sizing for a tt bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-23 1:04 AM

Subject: Sizing for a tt bike
I'm looking into getting my first dedicated tri bike. I've been looking online and found a 2014 QR Illicito Triathlon Bike. The owner says it's a size m/l. He's about 6'3 190. I'm 6'1 215. I looked at the sizing charts online and they have a weight limit im guessing. Any thoughts on whether or not I should try and get this bike based on the size of it.
Thanks in advance

2017-01-23 6:56 AM
in reply to: Huezo

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Sizing for a tt bike
Height is a really poor indicator of fit... You can take two people of exactly the same height and it's entirely possible (even probably) that one will fit and the other won't. It's not only body measurements (lower body/upper body, arms, etc.), but also flexibility, core strength, athletic background, distances/terrain racing/training, current/prior injuries/issues, etc. etc. etc. that all influence the fit.

I understand what you are trying to do, getting a used bike at an attractive price, but there's simply no way to say for sure if it will fit or not. Height might help you avoid a complete disaster, i.e. at least you can make the bike work for you (although you might have to do quite a few compromises to get there, hence making you slower than you should be), but it's not a guarantee.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sizing for a tt bike Rss Feed