General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Its going to be a long road! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-23 4:35 AM

Subject: Its going to be a long road!
HI All,

My name is Rory and Im hoping to be new to the sport also.

I've a bit of injury problem as I dislocated my full knee joint 15 months ago and have had 4 operations to replace all knee ligaments. Its been a long road back to even stating circuit training, can feel muscles around leg getting stronger which is taking pressure of ligaments and even managed a short jog on grass so I'm full of hope that I will be able to run again after being advised by surgeon it may not be possible.

Surprise Surprise My dream is 2 complete an Iron Man - I have no timeline on completing this but have a serious appetite for training after being on crutches for 9 months last year. Still not 100% allowed to run but not too bothered for now as can concentrate on dropping the extra kgs doing circuit training.

Before I injured my knee I was cycling 60km Mon-Fri daily on round commute to work and was playing rugby at weekends so believe I will get that fitness back on the bike and do swimming lessons to build up stamina in pool and then say a big prayer and hope I will be able to run again

Heres to the good times that lie ahead

P.S My family planned our 2 previous summer holidays around Iron Man Lanzarote which is amazing......I loved the atmosphere but the heat was unreal, lovely for sipping on beers though and supporting all the athletes

Edited by alittlebitconfused 2017-01-23 4:45 AM

2017-01-23 9:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Its going to be a long road!

Hi Rory and welcome to BT.  There is a long learning curve to get the language and understand the gear and training prorams but it is all worth it.  Asking questions here and reading race reports is a good way to start your learning process.  I also recommend volunteering to help at any local races is a great way to learn and meet othe like-minded people which I found really sped up my learning process.

You could check out the mentor groups and maybe one of the beginner groups might suit you.  I'm in a mentor group for older athletes and there are several for beginners and you'll find everyone pretty accepting of your questions.  We all had to start somewhere.

I would just mention with regards to your knee - start out slowly when you've been given the "all clear".  You might even start out walking then progressing to fast walking, then walk/run (I started running 2 min, walking 2 min and building from there) and ultimately running.  I would also suggest that if running is a problem for your knee I have walked an entire 21 km in a HIM when I burnt out my knees on the bike and last August I walk/ran a 30 km for an ITU long course race.  No one would ever think less of you for walking - in fact they would cheer you across the finish line very loudly.

Make use of the training logs here (you can click on my profile pic or name and visit my profile or training log to get an idea of what you can do with it for yourself it really helps when you ask some questions for people to be able to see what your training looks like.

Whatever happens keep training and have fun.

Edited by wenceslasz 2017-01-23 9:13 PM
2017-01-24 3:49 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

Subject: RE: Its going to be a long road!
Thank you for the helpful advise wenceslasz!

Your last line sums up exactly what I want to do

"Whatever happens keep training and have fun."

I have plenty of support from people which is amazing. As i said I have no timeframe to complete any goals ( obvious sooner the better) but just want to enjoy being active again

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Its going to be a long road! Rss Feed