General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint or Swim in Portland or Seattle in April? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-26 6:11 AM

User image

Subject: Sprint or Swim in Portland or Seattle in April?

I will be in Seattle and Portland (inclusive of surrounding areas) in April and was wondering what popular internet sites list available events for either a Sprint or just a swim (shortish distances, mainly for fun).

Recommendations and suggestions most welcome!

Seattle - Week of April 2
Portland - Week of April 9

Thanks

2017-01-26 7:21 AM
in reply to: aribloch

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Sprint or Swim in Portland or Seattle in April?
Not sure of specific events but as an Oregonian I can tell you....It would have to be an event with a pool swim. Water is going to be very cold at that time of year. I don't think I have ever done OWS at home before June; even then, it can be in the 50's in a colder year; almost always wetsuit time. If you are willing to travel to Salem, I think there is a sprint tri with a pool swim there sometime in spring.
2017-01-26 7:24 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Not sure of specific events but as an Oregonian I can tell you....It would have to be an event with a pool swim. Water is going to be very cold at that time of year. I don't think I have ever done OWS at home before June; even then, it can be in the 50's in a colder year; almost always wetsuit time. If you are willing to travel to Salem, I think there is a sprint tri with a pool swim there sometime in spring.

Thanks. Yes, I started to understand that. Sort of out of touch with the weather at that time as have not been back in ages LOL

Speaking of pool, where can I find a pool in Portland or Vancouver for my workouts?
2017-01-26 7:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm from Eugene; wasn't into tri or master's swim at the time I lived in Portland so not sure. I know there are some Y's with good pools there.

One thing to be aware of--actually, I don't know if Portland does this but I know it's the case in Eugene and some other cities: Oregon has this thing with year-round outdoor pools. The pool where I train at home is always heated to about 80 degrees, but swimming outdoors when it's 40 (typical for that time of year in the morning) or, for that matter, 18 (my coldest swim ever) is kind of a different experience. Not sure if the Salem event is an indoor or outdoor pool. T1 can, even in mid-summer, be somewhat traumatic for the cold-blooded!

I get updates of Oregon events; not sure what websites they're coming from; will post more later.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-01-26 7:32 AM
2017-01-27 5:02 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Here's a link that may be helpful. Mix of run, tri, and other multi-sport events. There are plenty of runs at that time of the year; not sure about tri. (Print is too small--for the life of me, I can't read it on my MacBook!)

https://issuu.com/racecenter/docs/rcnw_eventguide17_digitalissue
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint or Swim in Portland or Seattle in April? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Team Skinny April 2014....April Fools don't join the team and get leaner Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 4647 Posts: 58

2014-05-01 12:01 AM Shermbelle

Portland/Seattle- somewhat off-topic

Started by dangremond
Views: 815 Posts: 16

2009-07-17 11:42 AM The Nat

blue lake sprint (portland, OR area)

Started by ultrahip_00
Views: 687 Posts: 1

2007-07-10 9:49 PM ultrahip_00

Travel to Seattle/Portland

Started by rsqdvr
Views: 918 Posts: 9

2006-07-27 1:04 AM rsqdvr

Danskin Seattle Swim at race site

Started by DulcimerDoc
Views: 625 Posts: 1

2004-06-21 5:58 PM DulcimerDoc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 3
If you are a beginner triathlete training for your first triathlon, this article will show you three key swim workouts that you can use for your triathlon swim training.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?
date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
comments : 0
Swimming for the triathlete.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
comments : 0
How to Breath Bilaterally.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.