Other Resources The Political Joe » Tribes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-27 9:50 PM

New user
Subject: Tribes
Have any of you switched tribes (political party ) over time? I grew up with parents who strictly voted democrat. They were both public educators who were basically 'told' to do so. Over time, i have leaned more conservative and for the first time i voted for the Republican candidate, as did my parents with the recent election. Parties change. People change. Thoughts?

2017-01-27 11:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Tribes

My wife grew up in Berkely, Ca. and, me being from the midwest, was the most liberal person I had ever met.....that was a lot of fun when she was 25 and I was 30.  After we got married and knew each other long enough to hate one another from time to time we realized that our marriage could not withstand our political discussions.....so we just didn't talk politics with each other anymore.  In time, with children, and life in general, we found plenty of other things to talk about and be mad at each other over.

We're both in our 50's now and she voted for Trump......the only thing I can figure is that one of our twin daughters has grown into a crazed, tree hugging, vegetarian, climate change warrior and my wife hates seeing herself all over again so she switched teams. (they do align whenever the Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Grateful Dead, or Dave Matthews are playing within 300 miles of us for a road trip or two a year......gee, I bet that's fun)  LMAO

Me.......I mostly just sit and watch the fireworks......it's a pretty good seat. Since my son left for college I don't really have a say in any day to day decisions anyway.  I'm just here to make sure they don't kill each other.

I probably should add that the other twin would likely snatch your hat off your head if you didn't take it off for "her" National Anthem and doesn't care if the whole planet burns to the ground as long as she gets to 20 or 30 baseball and hockey games a year.  She hates her mother and sister equally.... (they grow out of this right???}...and actually owns a "Make America Great Again" ballcap.

As for Tribes.....none will have us.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-01-27 11:57 PM
2017-01-28 7:23 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I used to be a registered Democrat but dropped any party affiliation 10 years ago. I still consider myself a left-leaning centrist and do vehemently care about a number of issues central to the left such as environmentalism and the right to chose but will occasionally vote for a Republican that I think the better candidate. I think the biggest changes in my thinking now that I am well into my 50s, is that I am far more tolerant of other views that are within the mainstream and understand that job creation and growth are important and that regulations that (genuinely) limit growth need to be looked at long and hard.
2017-01-28 5:02 PM
in reply to: goforit

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I grew up in a Democrat family and voted for Clinton my first election.  It wasn't until a few years later in the military I started to read more and became a Republican based on my beliefs.

After being lock step in all things Republican for a long time I was disgusted by Bush and vowed to do everything I could to fight corruption and government waste. 

I'm still technically a registered Republican so I  am vote in my Red State primaries but I'm really a libertarian.  I am most concerned about corruption and fiscal spending.  I'm very socially conservative personally but am libertarian when it comes to pushing my belifs on others when it comes to politicians.  I'm probably the most liberal person here when it comes to civil rights.  I absolutely love Trump because he's the closest thing I've ever seen to my belief system.

oh, and I absolutely hate fake boogie men our government creates to steal our money.

2017-01-30 9:33 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
When I was young I was a libertarian socially I am pretty libertarian but not economically. quick 30 seconds why is sports. Look how much cheating there is now in sports. Sporting events without rules would just be chaos especially if you have tons of money involved.

I was a member of the DNC after that until the DNC email leaked that showed DNC worked to rigged the election. While I did not switch tribes I am in politically homeless at the moment.
2017-01-30 9:52 AM
in reply to: goforit

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by goforit

Have any of you switched tribes (political party ) over time? I grew up with parents who strictly voted democrat. They were both public educators who were basically 'told' to do so. Over time, i have leaned more conservative and for the first time i voted for the Republican candidate, as did my parents with the recent election. Parties change. People change. Thoughts?

I thinking a lot about this because of the trans issues coming up now. To me some of it seems crazy. I am not talking to the old fashion mtf or ftm. I am talking about the gender fluid, bi gender, agender, non binary, demi gender, otherkin, and all the other genderslike things. While to me gender is just a polite way to say what sex you are without saying that impolite word.

I think in many ways we stay the same from youth to now. We all change some but I think for the most part we all stay the same. Just when we are young we are considered radicals, when we are middle age we are considered mainstream and when we are old we are considered backwards.

Like my trans example I used to be pretty radical and now I am the old guy who just does not get it.

2017-01-30 10:20 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Alabama
I grew up republican and have slowly moved into the far right. I make Rush Limbaugh look like a flaming progressive!

I do however have a few 'liberal' views. A few that come to mine are drugs, prostitution, gambling and assisted suicide. I don't believe it is the government's role to tell people which naturally growing herbs they can and cannot smoke. No, I am not a pothead.....haven't smoked since college over 30 years ago. Also don't think the government ought to be telling two consenting adults they cannot exchange money for sex. It's legal if you call it dating and spend $150 on dinner and as show but not if you cut out the dinner and show? The idea that the govern gets to tell me that I cannot spend my hard earned money at the craps tables or playing Texas Hold 'Em or feeding quarters into the slots kind of galls me. And lastly, I choose not to die a slow, painful death laying in bed with bed sores and diapers. I think a human society would allow people to go quietly into the night and not hold onto life until the last of their life savings is gone along with their dignity. Don't tell the government but if they won't help me check out when the time comes, I will check out on my own timing and on my own terms. Maybe my obit will read, "We don't understand, he was skydiving with those girls from Hooters and having a wonderful time......he just never full his rip cord."
2017-01-30 2:08 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

Master
, California

I've been pretty much a fiscal conservative - yes I've even recently voted Republican for governor.  Moderate on other issues, with the big exception that I do elieve government has a role to play in maintaining competition -- preventing monopoly powers on big business.  So in that sense I've supported certain decisions like preventing the merger of AT&T and T-Mobile (I've watched the Baby Bells slowly reform into the liquid-metal Terminator... enough is enough already!).

I also believe that the patent and copyright systems offer protection for way too long especially in a modern tech world.  The Sonny Bono copyright term extension was ridiculous and a total handout to Disney.  And the long patent terms really not only handcuff tech startups but also hurt our bottom line when dealing with big pharma.

That said, at the national level I feel like the Republican party has moved way to the right over the last 15 years or so, which makes it more difficult for me, as I don't want to vote for people who are completely unable to compromise.

2017-01-30 2:13 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by spudone

I've been pretty much a fiscal conservative - yes I've even recently voted Republican for governor.  Moderate on other issues, with the big exception that I do elieve government has a role to play in maintaining competition -- preventing monopoly powers on big business.  So in that sense I've supported certain decisions like preventing the merger of AT&T and T-Mobile (I've watched the Baby Bells slowly reform into the liquid-metal Terminator... enough is enough already!).

I also believe that the patent and copyright systems offer protection for way too long especially in a modern tech world.  The Sonny Bono copyright term extension was ridiculous and a total handout to Disney.  And the long patent terms really not only handcuff tech startups but also hurt our bottom line when dealing with big pharma.

That said, at the national level I feel like the Republican party has moved way to the right over the last 15 years or so, which makes it more difficult for me, as I don't want to vote for people who are completely unable to compromise.

I hear you on the monopoly stuff.  Drives me nuts. 

2017-01-30 2:15 PM

User image

Pro

Isn't it funny that I consider the left EXACTLY like that. 

Not trying to be sarcastic, honestly........I'm stunned that both side basically feel exactly the same.  I'm afraid that doesn't bode well for the future......there's going to be a reckoning I'm afraid...how else could it end?

2017-01-30 2:18 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Left Brain

Isn't it funny that I consider the left EXACTLY like that. 

Not trying to be sarcastic, honestly........I'm stunned that both side basically feel exactly the same.  I'm afraid that doesn't bode well for the future......there's going to be a reckoning I'm afraid...how else could it end?

More parties(?)  Pipe dream I suppose, but if something in the middle really became viable, the democratic and republican parties would have to move center to try and squash it.

2017-01-30 2:28 PM

Master
, California

One of the things I've been a big supporter of is instant-runoff voting.  The big parties hate it because it threatens their stranglehold on the system.  But basically - it means if your preferred candidate doesn't win, then your vote goes to your next choice, and so on.  That way you can vote for, say, Gary Johnson and have Trump be your fallback vote (or whatever).  It takes away the fear that "a vote for a 3rd party is a vote for your enemy".

2017-01-30 3:00 PM

User image

Pro
All I know is that being forced to hear nothing but the loudest (most extreme) voices on the left and the right it's obvious that nobody represents me. I bet I'm in the majority if the truth meant anything anymore.
2017-01-31 7:26 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

All I know is that being forced to hear nothing but the loudest (most extreme) voices on the left and the right it's obvious that nobody represents me. I bet I'm in the majority if the truth meant anything anymore.

Ironically I think most people think most people think like they do. Most people also think they are good drivers. I'm not. But very few people will admit they are NOT a good driver. The fact is, half of all people are below average drivers! :-)

We all see the world filtered thru our life experiences. If you grow up in the south hunting squirrels when you are 7 years old your views on hunting and on guns will be different than someone born and raised in the boroughs of NYC. When I was in college I asked a buddy of mine who was from PA if he wanted to go squirrel hunting. He asked why. I said to eat. He was shocked! He said his dad used to shoot them with a .22 in their garden but they just left them there, they did not eat them!

When I was a kid we used to go bird hunting and shoot robins. I told this to a cousin of mine who is from CT and she got all upset! Turns out robin is the CT state bird. Doh! Roll in a little flower and put in a cast iron skillet with some grease.....mmmmm good!

2017-01-31 9:29 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by Left Brain All I know is that being forced to hear nothing but the loudest (most extreme) voices on the left and the right it's obvious that nobody represents me. I bet I'm in the majority if the truth meant anything anymore.
Ironically I think most people think most people think like they do. Most people also think they are good drivers. I'm not. But very few people will admit they are NOT a good driver. The fact is, half of all people are below average drivers! :-) We all see the world filtered thru our life experiences. If you grow up in the south hunting squirrels when you are 7 years old your views on hunting and on guns will be different than someone born and raised in the boroughs of NYC. When I was in college I asked a buddy of mine who was from PA if he wanted to go squirrel hunting. He asked why. I said to eat. He was shocked! He said his dad used to shoot them with a .22 in their garden but they just left them there, they did not eat them! When I was a kid we used to go bird hunting and shoot robins. I told this to a cousin of mine who is from CT and she got all upset! Turns out robin is the CT state bird. Doh! Roll in a little flower and put in a cast iron skillet with some grease.....mmmmm good!

I get that.......my point is that the majority of us reside in the middle politically......and the extreme ends drive the bus.  I think that ends in a fiery bus crash.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Tribes Rss Feed