General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting the bike timing down Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-29 8:25 AM

Subject: Getting the bike timing down
Hi all, started the sport 4 months ago and am hooked! Just did my first HIM in Dubai this last weekend! My question relates to the cycle. I have a decent swim time for a newbie 1.9km in 35 mins. But I'm sitting at about 3:10 for the cycle, my swim sets me up nicely and then I watch others zoom past!! I do regular cycles 1 x brick 30-40 km and then 10 min runs. 2 x 50km cycles on the weekend or in ramping up to the race we did several 90km bricks. However I don't seem to be getting any quicker on the cycle, so I wanted to find out if there are any great training methods to start building up long term speed or is it just a case of cycle cycle cycle?? Love the sport, not so much the recoveries haha!!!

2017-01-29 3:23 PM
in reply to: Jased

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Getting the bike timing down

The person that got me into Triathlons was a Scottish man who worked out of our Dubia office.  He formed and unofficial Multisport and Endurance Sport group in our company.  I was doing Marathons at the time so I joined the group in hopes that the company would sponsor its employees.  The company sponsorship never happened but I did learn enough about Triathlons to want to try one and have stuck with them for 2-1/2 years.  

My first Triathlon was also a 70.3 race.  My swim time was 35 minutes and my goal on the bike was to just go under 3 hours. That didn't happen.  My best bike split has been 3 hrs 3 minutes.  My experience has been different than yours though.  For ever person that passes me on the bike I passed about 10 people.  I did a 4 month bike focused training after my last race because like you I hate having people that I can beat in the other two parts of the race getting a better over all time due to my bike splits being slower.  I did a heart rate based bike plan.  It was a 4 day a week plan and I spent two days a week doing light recovery runs but was basically just focused on cycling.  My next race isn't for 5 months so it will be a while before I see what improvements I have made.  Try the Winter Bike Maintenance plan. It is designed to make you faster and should really help if you hasn't done that type of a training plan previously.     

2017-01-29 7:02 PM
in reply to: #5211846

New user
You started 4 months ago? You are doing well. As above, maybe a couple of months focusing on the bike. How's your run?
2017-01-30 11:37 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Cycle cycle cycle, but with a specific purpose, not just riding.  You should focus on improving your threshold (FTP or Critical Power metrics). The Winter Cycling training program BlueBouy26 provided above is a solid program that should raise your FTP 10-20% if you complete the whole program.  Many years ago I started using it and in one year at local Sprints races with 15 mile bike legs I went from a 20-20.5 mph average to 23-23.5 mph average.  I do the power version using Virtual Power where the bike trainer's speed vs power curve is used since I don't have a Power meter.  With short duration intervals power is better providing real time tracking/feedback vs HR which always lags.  Three weekly rides with specific focus on the program and a long ride on weekends would go long way on making you faster.

The Winter Cycling training program is available on paid PC software programs such as TrainerRoad or MaximumTrainer. I use MaximumTrainer as its cheap but works well.

Here's example of a WO (actually 5' test) using MaximumTrainer:

(WOexample.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
WOexample.JPG (50KB - 11 downloads)
2017-01-31 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The thing that helped me the most was pedaling as hard as I could for 100 reps. Ride slower for 5 minutes. Then another 100 reps as hard as I could.

I would repeat this about 5 times. Then I would take one foot out of the pedal and concentrate on pedaling in circles with one foot. Trying to keep a "twist" at the rear end throughout the cycle. After doing both legs individually I would then try to put the same torque to the rear end using both legs. When you get a little more strength it feels like you're trying to get your feet out of the pedals and the crank just gets in your way. It's helpful if you can feel the frame of your bike twisting because you're putting so much force.

If you have thin spindly legs you need to work on getting a good spin. If you have fat thunder thighs like I do,you figure out how to push on the pedals so hard you almost break something. Be very careful you do not hurt your knees when you do this.

Riding in a large group and getting dropped out the back helps. As you spend 5 to 10 minutes fighting the inevitable fact you will not catch up, this will make you stronger.

Good luck.
2017-02-06 12:52 PM

Time and distance really. The more time in the saddle the overall better you will be, but truth by told (for your distance) you may be talking years vs. months. Albeit, you will see improvements month after month. Not that you are interested in my personal specs, but to prove my point here are my bike averages by year:
-
2010 - 16.29
2011 - 17.92
2012 - 18.59
2013 - 20.66
2014 - 20.80
2015 - 20.80
2016 - 21.19

Also, I did not have any background in any discipline. Keep at it and watch your times come down.

2017-02-06 9:34 PM

Originally posted by Jased

Hi all, started the sport 4 months ago and am hooked! Just did my first HIM in Dubai this last weekend! My question relates to the cycle. I have a decent swim time for a newbie 1.9km in 35 mins. But I'm sitting at about 3:10 for the cycle, my swim sets me up nicely and then I watch others zoom past!! I do regular cycles 1 x brick 30-40 km and then 10 min runs. 2 x 50km cycles on the weekend or in ramping up to the race we did several 90km bricks. However I don't seem to be getting any quicker on the cycle, so I wanted to find out if there are any great training methods to start building up long term speed or is it just a case of cycle cycle cycle?? Love the sport, not so much the recoveries haha!!!

- how old are you
- weight
- what bike have you got
- have you had a bike fit
- have you got aero bars
- have you got a heart rate monitor or power monitor or cadence sensor
- whats your half marathon time like both stand alone and during a 70.3 race
2017-02-07 6:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I started using trainerroad in December 2015. My previous HIM bike split record was 2:50:41 on 6/14/15. Following the TR HIM plan, I had a 2:38:12 on 7/9/16 and 2:29:37 on 8/14/16. The 2:29:37 included a 60 second penalty. I'm 58 and have been doing tri's since 2007.

All 3 races were on the same tri bike, but the last two races, in addition to being more fit, I had lower rolling resistance tires and wore an aero helmet. I think all 3 of these things contributed to my faster times.

Edited by nickster 2017-02-07 6:10 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting the bike timing down Rss Feed