General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain in my butt....literally Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-31 3:04 PM

User image

Subject: Pain in my butt....literally
So, I'm in NE Iowa and we have snow on the ground. As such, training outside is not doable for me. I'm doing my first ever tris this summer. I've started in on the treadmill and spin bike(best option) and will be hitting a pool soon. My issue is this....the spin bike. I do a 30 minute session and I hurt....my butt hurts.....short of getting a different seat for my actual bike down the road(spin bike is at a gym), is there anything that I should know? Is there a specific correct position that I'm obviously missing? What really is annoying is that I sit all day at work too. Makes for a sore day! Thanks for any help in advance.

2017-01-31 5:40 PM
in reply to: joshwennes

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Pain in my butt....literally
Is this muscle soreness or skin soreness, or sit bone bruising type soreness? Or something nastier like a pinched nerve? The causes and treatments are a bit different for each. Definitely, if the seat and contact points with your butt are different than you are used to, that will cause problems. If it's just skin-level, liberal amounts of a product like Body Glide or Chamois Butt'r should help. With muscle soreness or cramping, it may help to adjust the seat height. Many people ride with the seat too low. It should be high enough that your leg is almost (but not totally) fully extended at the bottom of the stroke. Bruising might be helped by shorts with more liberal padding (i.e. not tri shorts). Nerve stuff is nasty--get off the bike and see below to save yourself PT $!

If it can't be solved, assuming you already have a road or tri bike, get a trainer, and just ride your own bike at home. I do 90-95% of my bike training that way.

I "feel your pain", though. I took my road bike to a training camp this week (week off for Tet) and my butt and the saddle no longer get along as well as they used to. I've been using my tri bike and its saddle (which isn't compatible with the road bike's seat post) about 99% of the time for the past 2 1/2 years, so it's been interesting to get "reacquainted" with my roadie saddle. Ouch!
2017-02-01 8:32 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Thanks,

It's definitely sit bone pain. The bikes at the gym are my only option now, I haven't gotten a proper bike yet, nor trainer.
2017-02-06 9:17 AM
in reply to: joshwennes

User image

Pro
Tejas
Heed HR's advice. Get too class early and ask the instructor to set you up on the bike properly. You riding in bike shorts or regular gym shorts? If you're not in bike shorts, get some. Don't skimp in this area either. Any place that meat hits the bike, is money well spent. I can't tell you how many cheap shorts and shoes I had before biting the bullet and getting good quality name brand stuff. Having said that, don't expect a $ 130 pair of bike shorts to be the solution. I've found through experimentation that mid range Pearl Izumi shorts work better for me than their high end pro shorts. This could also be nothing more than a conditioning issue as well and it might go away on it's own in a week or two of riding.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain in my butt....literally Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cycling...Pain in the butt?

Started by Zupe
Views: 2727 Posts: 5

2011-04-15 6:51 PM dfquigley

Debilitating butt pain

Started by nscrbug
Views: 2117 Posts: 14

2009-12-01 8:27 PM nscrbug

Pain in the neck - literally

Started by KeriKadi
Views: 990 Posts: 5

2009-05-08 8:20 AM KeriKadi

Pain DEEP in butt cheek

Started by jeffnboise
Views: 39969 Posts: 8

2009-01-18 9:22 PM jeffnboise

HIP Pain is a Pain in the Butt!

Started by Mamamia1
Views: 1283 Posts: 6

2007-05-04 2:24 PM runner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2016
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Ache in pelvic area after difficult runs and rides

date : February 29, 2016
Persistent "Runner's Knee" after Ultra
date : October 16, 2014
author : BrettTriMI
comments : 1
From the bar to the bike and the beach. I decided that for my 34th birthday, I was going to buy myself a new bike...something to get my butt in shape.

date : September 21, 2012
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!
date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : December 28, 2009
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!
date : February 11, 2008
Is my childhood groin injury to blame for my recent pain while running? It just hurts when I'm running, not during day to day activities.

date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.