General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training after illness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-02 12:40 AM

Subject: Training after illness
Hello, I'm new to BT so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I never get sick but I am sick now with a sinus infection, strep throat, fatigue, joint pain etc. I was put on antibiotics and prednisone yesterday. My illness is 6 days old now. It is driving me nuts not working and even more so not training. How long before I can start training again once I feel like I am on the mend?

2017-02-02 4:33 AM
in reply to: Dr Oz

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Training after illness
If you're Dr. Oz, shouldn't you know the answer? (Just kidding!) My general rule of thumb is no workouts until I feel normal doing everyday activities (like my job, housework, errands, etc.), only easy workouts (low intensity, maybe 30-40 minutes max) until I feel normal doing those. Then get back to normal volume/intensity over the course of a week or so. With strep, I would definitely not do anything until your symptoms are gone, especially systemic ones like fatigue, muscle aches, fever). I've had it once; think it took about a week after I went on antibiotics to feel like doing anything, and another week before I really felt back to normal--but I would listen to your body. From that experience, another word of advice.....Antibiotics can also mess with your gut for a while even once you are off them and the infection is gone, so be cautious for a few weeks about running too far from a pit stop!
2017-03-31 7:25 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Subject: RE: Training after illness
Originally posted by Hot Runner

If you're Dr. Oz, shouldn't you know the answer? (Just kidding!) My general rule of thumb is no workouts until I feel normal doing everyday activities (like my job, housework, errands, etc.), only easy workouts (low intensity, maybe 30-40 minutes max) until I feel normal doing those. Then get back to normal volume/intensity over the course of a week or so. With strep, I would definitely not do anything until your symptoms are gone, especially systemic ones like fatigue, muscle aches, fever). I've had it once; think it took about a week after I went on antibiotics to feel like doing anything, and another week before I really felt back to normal--but I would listen to your body. From that experience, another word of advice.....Antibiotics can also mess with your gut for a while even once you are off them and the infection is gone, so be cautious for a few weeks about running too far from a pit stop!

Good suggestion.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training after illness Rss Feed