of 3

2017-02-08 9:30 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Exucation Sec

Originally posted by Moonrocket
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by goforit I like and appreciate your input LB. You are one of my all time favorites on BT, but i think you are off on this one. Either way, i hope OUR education system improves.

Yeah, I know it's off the party line....I get it.  The thing is, I've spent a great deal of time around very poor people struggling to get by. I want them to have the same opportunities we all have......and I know that it doesn't always work out that way.  I'll settle for really good schools for their children because I think it would make all the difference in their lives.  All we do now is throw money at the problem....and it's been a dismal failure because it doesn't provide real opportunity to change what has become a cultural norm in the inner cities..  How about we put some real resources and talent into educating the kids of this generation.  In the end, we are going to pay either way.....how do you want to pay?  You want to build more prisons or more schools?  We can't have the two parent homes that Rogllio wants if half of that household is locked up or dead. Education is the key to almost everything.

I totally agree with this. There are a lot of problems/ logistics that go hand in hand with the broken families that make it harder. I run a fairly big PTO fundraiser for my daughter's STEM charter. (We have a 6 figure PTO budget). I decided to reach out to our local title 1 school to see if any of the things we were doing I could help them incorporate. I learned a lot. Most of the things we do are not going to work for them and have been unsuccessfully tried in the past. We did come up with two ideas to try (publicizing their restaurant fundraisers to our population- we have been known to have lines wrapping around the block at ours and a book drive where we have families donate lightly used books so we can try and send kids home with a few books of their own for the summer). It was a lot harder than what we do. They said transportation is a huge block to doing more. I also sat on a school district advisory committee and heard that attendance is a huge issue especially in the month of December as many travel to visit relatives. Single parent families have less flexibility. The school is actually making huge strides though. They have a big robotics program and are doing a huge college awareness push. Every classroom and the doors are decked out with stuff from the teacher's alma matter. I was actually really impressed with what they had going on. They were building a community and culture of possibilities and you could feel the energy. That said they were doing it with a few volunteers from local churches (vs our school where every family has to volunteer 30 hours a year and a lot volunteer much more. We also have a lot of parents that are engineers and scientists that partake in special events- you don't walk the hall without seeing multiple parents helping in various ways). We are lucky that our district has been trying really hard to create a great environment for all students. We have schools that have been nationally recognized for their achievement with a challenging demographic profile. This is the community I want to live in. One where we work together to overcome challenges for all.

Yes.....you got it right.  There are only two options to change the inner city culture of welfare or despair IMO.

1 - remove the children from their parents as they are born and place them in an environment of learning and promise. (can't happen)

2 - build schools where learning and the promise of a self-sufficient life are paramount.....a real opportunity to escape the poverty cycle. (surely could happen)

I hear President Trump touting his plan for creating jobs through re-building our infrastructure.  Let's start with schools in the inner city.

2017-02-08 10:31 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

instead he just greenlights pipelines to make the rich richer

2017-02-09 7:32 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Alabama
3. Work on building families thru local/community churches and outreaches including mentorship, big brother programs.

4. Bring back manufacturing jobs to inner cities so there are decent paying wages

5. Encourage more vo-tech careers such as welders, construction workers, mechanics, etc. Allow students to complete the last 2 years of HS at a vo-tech learning a trade/skill

6. Provide vouchers to low income families that want to send their children to private school. Figure out what the government currently pays per student per year and make that the amount of the voucher.

7. Encourage more private schools by providing government subsidies to new schools

8. Provide incentives for major corporations to provide summer programs for inner city kids

9. Provide cash incentives to students who excel. i.e if you get an A in math you get a dime bag of pot. Or maybe a cell phone.

I could go on and on and on. There is not a simple, quick fix. There are a lot of things that will help and on one or 3 things will fix the problem. That is why you need someone at the helm who can effectively manage $70 billion dollars to get the most bang for the buck. And that does not mean someone who had taught school for 30 years in the inner city. It means someone with executive experience who can assemble a staff of experts and implement decision processes to deciding the best courses of action.

2017-02-09 9:19 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by Rogillio 3. Work on building families thru local/community churches and outreaches including mentorship, big brother programs. 4. Bring back manufacturing jobs to inner cities so there are decent paying wages 5. Encourage more vo-tech careers such as welders, construction workers, mechanics, etc. Allow students to complete the last 2 years of HS at a vo-tech learning a trade/skill 6. Provide vouchers to low income families that want to send their children to private school. Figure out what the government currently pays per student per year and make that the amount of the voucher. 7. Encourage more private schools by providing government subsidies to new schools 8. Provide incentives for major corporations to provide summer programs for inner city kids 9. Provide cash incentives to students who excel. i.e if you get an A in math you get a dime bag of pot. Or maybe a cell phone. I could go on and on and on. There is not a simple, quick fix. There are a lot of things that will help and on one or 3 things will fix the problem. That is why you need someone at the helm who can effectively manage $70 billion dollars to get the most bang for the buck. And that does not mean someone who had taught school for 30 years in the inner city. It means someone with executive experience who can assemble a staff of experts and implement decision processes to deciding the best courses of action.

Ok, so putting everything else aside, why do you think Betsy Devos is qualified to do the one thing you say is required for this position? What's her executive experience? Her father was a ridiculously successful businessman, so is her brother, her husband, and her father in law. But near as I can tell, it doesn't look like she's anything more than a socialite and a lobbyist spending her family fortune. 

2017-02-09 9:41 AM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Originally posted by Rogillio 3. Work on building families thru local/community churches and outreaches including mentorship, big brother programs. 4. Bring back manufacturing jobs to inner cities so there are decent paying wages 5. Encourage more vo-tech careers such as welders, construction workers, mechanics, etc. Allow students to complete the last 2 years of HS at a vo-tech learning a trade/skill 6. Provide vouchers to low income families that want to send their children to private school. Figure out what the government currently pays per student per year and make that the amount of the voucher. 7. Encourage more private schools by providing government subsidies to new schools 8. Provide incentives for major corporations to provide summer programs for inner city kids 9. Provide cash incentives to students who excel. i.e if you get an A in math you get a dime bag of pot. Or maybe a cell phone. I could go on and on and on. There is not a simple, quick fix. There are a lot of things that will help and on one or 3 things will fix the problem. That is why you need someone at the helm who can effectively manage $70 billion dollars to get the most bang for the buck. And that does not mean someone who had taught school for 30 years in the inner city. It means someone with executive experience who can assemble a staff of experts and implement decision processes to deciding the best courses of action.

Ok, so putting everything else aside, why do you think Betsy Devos is qualified to do the one thing you say is required for this position? What's her executive experience? Her father was a ridiculously successful businessman, so is her brother, her husband, and her father in law. But near as I can tell, it doesn't look like she's anything more than a socialite and a lobbyist spending her family fortune. 

See, she knows how to spend money! :-)

Honestly I have no idea. I thought she was a businesswoman.....maybe I am misinformed.
2017-02-09 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Rogillio

See, she knows how to spend money! :-) Honestly I have no idea. I thought she was a businesswoman.....maybe I am misinformed.

common misconception i keep seeing.  Being rich doesn't always mean you're a successful businessperson....it just means you're rich.

2017-02-09 12:00 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by dmiller5

See, she knows how to spend money! :-) Honestly I have no idea. I thought she was a businesswoman.....maybe I am misinformed.

common misconception i keep seeing.  Being rich doesn't always mean you're a successful businessperson....it just means you're rich.

Good point. I said the same thing about John Kerry when he ran for POTUS. He was rich. He made money the old fashioned way....me married it. Married the heir to the Heinz fortune who bought him a seat as a US Senator.
2017-02-09 2:07 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Good point. I said the same thing about John Kerry when he ran for POTUS. He was rich. He made money the old fashioned way....me married it. Married the heir to the Heinz fortune who bought him a seat as a US Senator.

Except that John Kerry was in the U.S. Senate 10 years prior to being married to Teresa Heinz.

2017-02-09 2:52 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Hook'em

Except that John Kerry was in the U.S. Senate 10 years prior to being married to Teresa Heinz.

Damn! I can't get away with anything around here!

But let's tell the whole story: Julia Thorne, Kerry's first wife, had fortune of over $100 million. They were married in 1970. In February 1972, Kerry's wife bought a house in Worcester, with Kerry intending to run against the 4th district's ageing thirteen-term incumbent Democrat, Harold Donohue.

Just an few inconvenient facts. Oh wait, that was Algore....

2017-02-09 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Damn! I can't get away with anything around here! But let's tell the whole story: Julia Thorne, Kerry's first wife, had fortune of over $100 million. They were married in 1970. In February 1972, Kerry's wife bought a house in Worcester, with Kerry intending to run against the 4th district's ageing thirteen-term incumbent Democrat, Harold Donohue. Just an few inconvenient facts. Oh wait, that was Algore....

and kerry is a proven statesman, didn't run on the idea of being a rich dude....none of your arguments really make much sense dude.  its a not a problem with her being wealthy that everyone is concerned about, its her complete lack of experience or ability to run the department to which she has been appointed.

2017-02-09 5:31 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Damn! I can't get away with anything around here! But let's tell the whole story: Julia Thorne, Kerry's first wife, had fortune of over $100 million. They were married in 1970. In February 1972, Kerry's wife bought a house in Worcester, with Kerry intending to run against the 4th district's ageing thirteen-term incumbent Democrat, Harold Donohue. Just an few inconvenient facts. Oh wait, that was Algore....

and kerry is a proven statesman, didn't run on the idea of being a rich dude....none of your arguments really make much sense dude.  its a not a problem with her being wealthy that everyone is concerned about, its her complete lack of experience or ability to run the department to which she has been appointed.

First off, I'm not your dude. Second, Kerry is a proven lier. Ask his fellow swift boaters. Third, I am sorry you don't understand my arguments. In the future I will try to explain my 'arguments' better. But really it doesn't matter.

I didn't care if she was confirmed or not. Of all the nominations she seems the least qualified. But I don't know her. If she fails to deliver I have confidence Trump will fire her. But I don't think that will happen. It is my experience that there is a certain type of person that succeed at whatever they put their hands to. I've seen it over and over in life. Maybe Trump sees that in her. At any rate, nobody from Congress consulted me nor do they care what random people post on off-topic triathlon forums.

Cheers. :-)

2017-02-10 9:10 AM

User image

Pro

First off, I'm not your dude. Second, Kerry is a proven lier. Ask his fellow swift boaters. Third, I am sorry you don't understand my arguments. In the future I will try to explain my 'arguments' better. But really it doesn't matter. I didn't care if she was confirmed or not. Of all the nominations she seems the least qualified. But I don't know her. If she fails to deliver I have confidence Trump will fire her. But I don't think that will happen. It is my experience that there is a certain type of person that succeed at whatever they put their hands to. I've seen it over and over in life. Maybe Trump sees that in her. At any rate, nobody from Congress consulted me nor do they care what random people post on off-topic triathlon forums. Cheers. :-)

My dude!! 

2017-02-10 10:02 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

First off, I'm not your dude. Second, Kerry is a proven lier. Ask his fellow swift boaters. Third, I am sorry you don't understand my arguments. In the future I will try to explain my 'arguments' better. But really it doesn't matter. I didn't care if she was confirmed or not. Of all the nominations she seems the least qualified. But I don't know her. If she fails to deliver I have confidence Trump will fire her. But I don't think that will happen. It is my experience that there is a certain type of person that succeed at whatever they put their hands to. I've seen it over and over in life. Maybe Trump sees that in her. At any rate, nobody from Congress consulted me nor do they care what random people post on off-topic triathlon forums. Cheers. :-)

My dude!! 

You're not my type either....although your pig tails are kinda cute. ;-)

2017-02-10 12:13 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

The vast majority of people in the US who are rich are first generation rich.  There are many ways to make money, but with rare exception (lottery, etc) they all involve very hard work and discipline.
The majority of millionaires I know worked regular jobs, but they saved their money and lived below their means.  Fast forward 20-30 years and they now have several million dollars in the bank. 
So, yes I agree with you that it doesn't mean you're a successful businessperson but in 95% of the case it means you're a successful and disciplined person. 

2017-02-10 12:14 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Friend posted this on FB.  Made me laugh: 

2017-02-11 7:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by tuwood

The vast majority of people in the US who are rich are first generation rich.  There are many ways to make money, but with rare exception (lottery, etc) they all involve very hard work and discipline.
The majority of millionaires I know worked regular jobs, but they saved their money and lived below their means.  Fast forward 20-30 years and they now have several million dollars in the bank. 
So, yes I agree with you that it doesn't mean you're a successful businessperson but in 95% of the case it means you're a successful and disciplined person. 

you literally just made all of that up.

2017-02-11 7:46 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Just because it doesn't fit your prejudice doesn't make it untrue.According to the Cato institute over 80% of millionaires are first generation Millionaires, which means they worked for their money. If you also notice, the majority of people that inherit money squander it because they're not hard working or disciplined.
2017-02-11 8:19 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Just because it doesn't fit your prejudice doesn't make it untrue.According to the Cato institute over 80% of millionaires are first generation Millionaires, which means they worked for their money. If you also notice, the majority of people that inherit money squander it because they're not hard working or disciplined.

I am not sure what defines a millionaire these days but if it means you have over a million in assets I qualify.....yes, the little boy who was on welfare at 8 years old who put himself through college and worked hard and saved.......

BTW. A million ain't what it used to be.....
2017-02-11 8:29 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I am not sure what defines a millionaire these days but if it means you have over a million in assets I qualify.....yes, the little boy who was on welfare at 8 years old who put himself through college and worked hard and saved....... BTW. A million ain't what it used to be.....

It's definitely not what it used to be.  Most people consider net worth to be the total of all your assets minus all liabilities.  So if you have a $1M house, but owe $900k on it then you get $100k of net worth from it. 
There's no question a lot of millionaires are business owners, but there's also a TON that are just regular hard working disciplined folks who saved their entire career.  It's the attitude of defeat that so many have been poisoned with over the past few decades that's the problem.  "I can't succeed, so I'm not even going to try", "The only people that succeed, have everything handed to them", blah blah 

I think it was Zig Ziglar who said "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it 100% of the time" 

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Exucation Sec Rss Feed  

of 3