General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stryd Power Meter? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-07 12:54 PM

Subject: Stryd Power Meter?
First ill give a little background then my question. I started running and triathlon just over a year ago in an effort to drop some weight and get in shape, and the bug has bite me so I'm gearing up and have started a training plan for this up coming season. Where I live dictates that I'm self coached (haven't felt the need for an online coach yet, and staying motivated on a training plan hasn't been a problem). I have two big races on my calendar for this year, a half marathon (my first) in early June and 70.3 Boulder in August. Running is certainly my weakest area and in the Tri's I did last year it was certainly my weak leg. Being a data geek I loved training outside and having my GPS watch (Suunto) to keep track of HR, distance and pace. But now being stuck on an indoor for the winter posses a problem because the indoor options on the watch are off far enough that it is unrealistic. The track I have access to is an odd distance (7 laps + 153 feet = 1 mile) so lap times are tough to compute into pace. So is started looking at a foot pod as a solution and came across the new Stryd foot pod. Reviews all say it is very accurate for distance and pace in a variety of conditions, so it would meet the need there. But my question then becomes will the added metrics be worth the added cost over another pod?

Does anyone have experience with it? Is is feasible as a self coached person fairly new to running that it will help improve form by providing live (accurate) feedback on efficiency while making adjustments to my stride out on a run?

Last year (being new) I suffered in a few races because I was following heart rate that was being affected by other factors I hadn't accounted for, so is this the solution to help pace races more effectively than heart rate?

I've read about every review I can find on them and they all seem to be done by high level athletes who self-report being at the level of seeking out "marginal gains" in improvement and they all seem to say it will do that for them. But I haven't been able to find how much advantage it can provide an average Joe like me. Does marginal gains to a high level athlete mean marginal gains for me too. Or, are the gains only marginal for them because they are already at near peak performance and because there is a lot of untapped potential (for lack of better words) in an average runner can effectively use this device to shorten the time to get to that level of performance/efficiency?

Hope all that made sense...

2017-03-17 8:14 PM
in reply to: ctrebby

Subject: RE: Stryd Power Meter?
I am by no means a high-level runner (or athlete in genera), just an average person without a coach who likes to run, bike, and swim. I got a Stryd in late fall of last year and I have been running with it ever since. It's an interesting device. It hasn't made a huge impact on my performance so far, but I've sincerely enjoyed having a new metric to look at on every run to help me gauge what's going on.

Heart rate can be thrown off by your diet, sleep amount, emotion, and more. Pace becomes more difficult to judge on hills and in the wind and heat. Power is power. It's the only metric I can look at on my watch and know that it is exactly what it says it is.

The biggest drawback of getting a Stryd is learning how understand the data. Reading Jim Vance's Run with Power is pretty much a must. And if you're like me, you'll end up reading chapters of that book more than once.

I read once that amateur cyclists benefit more from power meters because they can't be training full time. Perhaps the same is true for running power meters. Basically, based on what you posted, I think Stryd is a good fit for you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stryd Power Meter? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Power Tap v iBike Power Meter

Started by JonathanRohr
Views: 2785 Posts: 3

2010-11-22 12:40 PM brucemorgan

iBike power meter vs. VDO power meter

Started by whitecloud
Views: 1254 Posts: 3

2010-01-06 11:38 AM gsmacleod

iBike Power Meters & Buying a power meter used

Started by jcbolton
Views: 1112 Posts: 3

2009-08-14 8:11 PM guppie58

Power meters?

Started by Special K
Views: 861 Posts: 4

2005-08-29 8:46 AM TH3_FRB

Power Meter recommendations

Started by crazylegs
Views: 910 Posts: 3

2005-07-30 2:21 PM David14
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 24, 2011
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In part three, the coach answers questions on power meter workouts, threshold calculations and how strength training affects power.

date : May 5, 2011
In part two, you will learn several power meter workouts from race intensity, to aerobic and anaerobic workouts.
date : March 18, 2011
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.

date : April 19, 2009
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.
date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : May 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on training and racing with power meters, differences between power meters, Kona preparation, Ironman pacing and nutrition and Ironman swim seeding.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.