General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » NYC 46 yo beginner - where are the races? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-08 8:43 PM

Subject: NYC 46 yo beginner - where are the races?
Hi folks, I was actually on the BT site many years ago under a different name (can't remember). Had two kids and some job stuff so am not just getting back into trying to get fit. Now I'm 46 and in pretty sedentary shape. Not overweight but more frail than anything. Started swimming 2x week and will bike to work 2x week when weather permits. Here's my question, what happened to the races? When I click find a race everything is from 2016. What's up with that?

Any advice for middle aged working moms who have NO time to train. much appreciated.

2017-02-08 9:43 PM
in reply to: loveland

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: NYC 46 yo beginner - where are the races?
Hello!

It's a timely question - I'm Alice and the main administrator around here now. Ron is still the owner and still involved, but not hands-on with all the pieces of the site anymore. I currently have someone updating all of the races. We are going in alphabetical order by state, and just haven't gotten to New York yet, but they should be updated within a week or two. Sorry about that!

As far as advice, I'm a middle aged working mom, too, and it's sure not easy.
What are your kids' school schedules?
I have a flexible work schedule, so I've been trying to fit in a quick workout after the last one gets on the bus.
Running seems easier to fit in than anything else.
I have a gym bag packed in the car all the time, which helps.

I've had success in the past with bicycle commuting, which take less time than car commuting + bicycle workout.
Also, we belong to the YMCA, so my kids can play in the pool and the older one can use the fitness floor while I'm swimming or lifting.
2017-02-09 9:52 AM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
trifind is also a good website to go to for races by state if you are looking to create your schedule.
2017-08-24 9:14 PM
in reply to: loveland

Hey - also a beginner as well and looking for someone to do some OWS practice with. Interested?
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » NYC 46 yo beginner - where are the races? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Yet another BEGINNER beginner....HI!

Started by robyntri
Views: 1512 Posts: 6

2010-09-17 2:18 PM McFuzz

Who I am and where I am at...

Started by travissmithoh
Views: 1531 Posts: 5

2010-09-03 7:11 AM itsallrelative_Maine

Hi, my name is Carrie and I think I am a race-aholic

Started by cmatczynski
Views: 1000 Posts: 3

2009-09-11 10:26 PM Chaderbox

NYC first timer signed up for NYC TRI

Started by NYC_Meg
Views: 1160 Posts: 9

2008-11-10 1:29 PM andysrc

At 46 who'd a thought

Started by dexter
Views: 725 Posts: 4

2005-08-15 4:53 PM dexter
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2016
author : rjcalhoun
comments : 5
From heavy, stressed business owner to triathlete

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : October 10, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 0
The ONLY way to compete in my first triathlon was to do it on my BMX. I’m no professional—nor do I aspire to be one, I just want to be fit and healthy.
date : October 3, 2004
author : adumey
comments : 0
One of my fears, besides the radioactive material content of the Hudson River, was the water temperature. I found the water was much warmer as I inched closer to the holding dock.