General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim technique question (rotation) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-15 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: Swim technique question (rotation)

When rotating one's body, is the rotation active to start/power the stroke and then get the body out of the way, or is it more reactive to starting the stroke and using that force to help rotate the body rather than the converse?

When I'm swimming, it all comes together and just happens (although I'm QUITE sure not the way it all should), but I am not sure how to think about this if I were to mentally over-emphasize the mechanics.

It definitely feels like rotation helps with extension before the catch and that a quick recovery of the other arm helps start the rotation to the other side.  Just trying to conceptualize the balance of power here...

Jeez, swimming is opaque to an adult onsetter...  Thanks to the feesh for any descriptions to help me visualize this better.

Matt

2017-02-15 12:47 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Subject: RE: Swim technique question (rotation)
If I am reading you right it's reactive to starting the stroke. As you pull and generate power you are rolling to the opposite side to start the process again. If we are talking about body roll(?) as I think you are it's to get you in a good position to start the stroke and help reduce the burden on the shoulders. But you are forcing me to think about something natural so I may come back in 5 mins and change my mind.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim technique question (rotation) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim technique question

Started by stateu
Views: 1326 Posts: 13

2008-08-01 11:04 PM cam111

Swim technique question.

Started by StartingOld
Views: 1122 Posts: 9

2006-01-16 6:24 AM StartingOld

Swim Fins - technique question

Started by workoutbunny
Views: 978 Posts: 6

2006-01-09 11:16 PM davidb

Swim technique question

Started by ride_like_u_stole_it
Views: 876 Posts: 8

2004-09-25 8:14 PM fromer

Open Water Swimming -- Technique Questions

Started by Stacers
Views: 1704 Posts: 11

2004-02-24 3:52 PM infosteward
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Subscribe to your favorite forums and threads!

date : February 18, 2013
author : garyhallsr
Much has changed in swimming over the past 30 years. I will summarize the most important changes in two categories; swim training and swimming technique. Both are critical to fast swimming.
date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.

date : November 17, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re continuing intervals. The focus will be on speeding up while maintaining good stroke technique, lots of stroke counting this time.
date : October 29, 2008
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : December 19, 2007
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.