General Discussion Triathlon Talk » aerobars on road bike setup Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-15 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: aerobars on road bike setup
At the end of 2015 I took the aerobar setup off my Quintana Roo Tequilo and replaced with dropbars and brifters. This allowed me to group ride more often and, honestly, it is more comfortable, easier to hill climb, and a helluvalot safer than riding in aero. I had a pretty painful running injury at about the same time and so I did only one race last year and didn't bother with trying to fit a pair of clip-on aerobars on prior to that race. This year I am fully healed up and have put two races on my calendar for April. Last weekend I put a set of Vision TT trimax aerobars on my bike and went out for a 26 mi training ride. I have to say that I found the being in aero to be a lot more unstable than I had remembered it to be, I was not at all confident in the handling in aero and spent little time on those bars during that ride. When I went from a TT to a road set-up on my bike I did two things: 1) I went from a straight fork to one with more rake to improve handling; 2) I installed a Thompson seatpost with 10o setback to help counter the seat tube geometry of my frame. This resulted in a very comfortable roadie but I'm wondering if these changes made using aerobars impractical.

Edited by Oysterboy 2017-02-15 11:12 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » aerobars on road bike setup Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Making transition from road setup to aero setup

Started by jrb2008
Views: 1085 Posts: 13

2009-01-25 8:02 AM LaurenSU02

road bike setup and commuting

Started by kevmk81
Views: 1050 Posts: 3

2008-08-24 10:55 AM goalie

Converting Road bike to Tri Setup?

Started by Slahmmer
Views: 1854 Posts: 9

2008-07-10 12:16 PM jmk-brooklyn

Road bike with tri setup Pages: 1 2

Started by mrbbrad
Views: 3808 Posts: 39

2008-05-14 4:30 PM Gregkl

Beam bike setup- road or tri for newbie?

Started by elmatto
Views: 996 Posts: 2

2007-04-05 7:33 AM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : March 24, 2011
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.

date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.
date : January 29, 2007
author : sportfactory
When first going aero, your shop should begin by putting you in the least aggressive position. This means the aerobar pads will be almost level or just below the saddle.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
A few trathletes at a local race setup their transition area.