General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Consecutive Weight Days Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-20 7:32 PM

User image

Subject: Consecutive Weight Days
I've been reading Joe Friel's book and am going to be doing some weight training. He (wisely) recommends that weight training days be separated and I can see the reason for that. My question is, "Can you do weight training on consecutive days if you work different muscles?" For example, can I do weights that focus on the arms one day and then do leg weights the next without harmful effects?

2017-02-20 7:44 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Consecutive Weight Days
Yes. It's called a split routine.
2017-02-20 8:12 PM

User image

Yes. It's very common. For example, chest and tris one day, and then back and arms the next day (push exercises on one day, pull exercises on another day). I think it's fine to get some overlap too (and really unavoidable in many instances). The upper body/lower body switch you mentioned is definitely okay.

Separating weight days is for giving your muscles time to heal. My understanding is that weight training involves some breaking down of muscles and improvements/size increases come from the repair that occurs. Anyone feel free to correct me or add to this. I did some weights over this last winter but I'm by no means an expert in the area.

2017-02-20 9:37 PM

User image

Thanks. Time to build some muscle.
2017-02-22 10:39 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by b2run Thanks. Time to build some muscle.

I'm curious, why do you want to build muscle?

2017-02-22 4:56 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Originally posted by TriMyBest

I'm following Joe Friel's book and his recommendation is for those over 60 to do weight training in the base phase and some maintenance weights during the build phase. Is this inaccurate?

2017-02-22 8:30 PM

User image

Originally posted by b2run

I'm following Joe Friel's book and his recommendation is for those over 60 to do weight training in the base phase and some maintenance weights during the build phase. Is this inaccurate?

It's my understanding that weight training is very beneficial as we age. It's even good for increasing bone density.

I think many of us triathletes would do weights if we had more time. When it comes down to a long run or hitting the weights, it's not really a choice for most of us.

I really wanted a change this winter, I was a bit burned out, and I went to visit my parents for three weeks, and so it worked out that I did weights two or three times a week for some months. I enjoyed the change. Also, my injuries from last season got a chance to heal and I tried to hit my rear delts as much as possible to work on some pain there from swimming. Weight training is great and if you can incorporate some into your routine, more *power* to you.

2017-02-23 5:47 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by b2run
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Nope.  That's right.  In general, every female over 40, and every male over 50 should do strength training to help maintain bone density and muscle mass.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Consecutive Weight Days Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How should I train on consecutive days?

Started by Pipps
Views: 930 Posts: 4

2013-03-18 4:21 PM peto_primo

Two consecutive workouts?

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 1129 Posts: 22

2009-04-15 11:08 AM misfitc

Endurance Event Training - 350+ Mile Consecutive Bike Race

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 1192 Posts: 6

2008-09-24 9:44 AM KSH

Long rides / runs on consecutive days? Pages: 1 2

Started by VanCityJ
Views: 2772 Posts: 41

2008-06-17 7:49 AM mdickson68

Racing on consecutive weeks

Started by bmbeggan
Views: 626 Posts: 3

2008-06-08 1:27 PM trixie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 16, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Fuel sensibly and avoid undermining your fitness for weight loss

date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.