General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on business in San Francisco Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-22 8:54 AM

Subject: Training on business in San Francisco
I'm traveling to San Francisco next week. Does anyone have any recommendations for a gym with a reasonable guest situation? I'm looking for something that has a lap pool and spin bikes ideally near union square. Any suggestions?

2017-02-22 1:51 PM
in reply to: bukowm

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Training on business in San Francisco
The best facility in town is the JCC. Not in Union Square but only 2 - 2.5 miles away. A very short bus ride or a nice warm-up walk. I have no idea about using the facility on a short term basis but it will have more than you would ever need in the way of workout options. Nice people too.
2017-02-22 3:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I got this advice a few years ago- call the hotel concierge. They got me into a private club and even reserved a lane for me at the time I wanted to swim (I had never even heard of reserving a lane- but it's a thing in SF). It was great since I was very limited on time and had an open water race that weekend I wanted to be ready for.
2017-02-22 7:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I rented a bike from Golden Gate Rides and it was a pretty nice bike. I rode all the way out to Sausalito and rode up and down the hills just west of there. It was awesome. I had my regular running shoes with me so when I joined a group I was immediately identified as an outsider. As you know, triathletes are pretty hard to drop. You drop off the back in a sprint and just time trial your way back into the group. We can be annoying that way.
2017-02-23 9:25 AM
in reply to: #5214166

User image

New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Koret Health and Rec Center at University of San Francisco. Great gym facility and up to 16 lanes available for swimming. I noticed some of the spin bikes could be used with SPD clipless. $20/visit. Bring a lock for the locker room.
2017-02-24 5:49 AM

User image

If you can get away for a bit...run the golden gate bridge. A quick uber/taxi ride from Union Square.

2017-02-25 1:36 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great advise. It's really helpful!
2017-02-25 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Some of my all-time favorite business trips were to San Francisco. (And my reasons for saying this have nothing to do with the conferences that I attended.) The highlight was renting a bike downtown, roding across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausolito and then up and over some hills to get to Muir Woods National Monument.
I wasn't a runner at the time but if I were there now I would want to get outside for some running.
Don
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on business in San Francisco Rss Feed