Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any minimalist or Konmari converts here? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-22 5:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: Any minimalist or Konmari converts here?
We have just gone thru a remodel and why I knew my house was cluttered, after the 7th time of moving stuff around, I had enough! Read Marie Kondo's book and wow, that was intimidating. Now I've read several more books on minimalism and hubby and I are ready to purge. We have now touched every room/closet in the house and have purged a lot. We are still going thru things tho. Anyone else done this? Books, tips, or ideas? Would love to hear other people's stories as we still continue to reduce. Our goal is be able to downsize in 5 to 6 years to a house half the size of our current house.

2017-02-22 9:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Any minimalist or Konmari converts here?

It's funny now, but I'm serious with my comments.  On Sunday, Feb. 8, 1998, at 6:30 am our home burned to the ground.  My wife had woke  up to feed our 6 week old son and smelled smoke.  By the time she woke me up the second time, and I had put my contacts in and brushed my teeth (she just had a baby, she'd been acting crazy for weeks, but sure, I'll check to make sure the forking house is not on fire at 630 on a Sunday morning.....THANKS!!), and walked out into the hallway......I found, to my horror, that the entire attic of our home was fully engulfed.  A neighbor and I made 2 trips back in but only managed to save a box of pictures and 2 armfuls of baby clothes.  We stood in the street and watched everything we owned burn.......down to nothing by the time the volunteer fire department got there.  Very weird feeling.....I recommend it to anyone who thinks all that crap they own means anything.

In a borrowed car, with virtually nothing, we found a hotel for the night and got ahold of our insurance agent the next morning.  We spent the next few weeks basically in shock and mourning for what we had lost.  Exactly 2 weeks later we were watching the Sunday morning news and saw a local story of a house fire where 5 people died.  That was one of those life defining moments for my wife and I.  That day we moved on.....happy that we had a baby who was hungry and woke us up.  I can honestly say I never missed a single thing we lost from that day forward.

I have not read the books you mention, but we save almost nothing.  I guess it would not be fair to say we live a "minimalist" life, we have 3 teenagers......but we don't have a single cluttered closet or drawer.  As an example, my son won literally hundreds and hundreds of medals, plaques, and ribbons in an elite high school running, swimming, and triathlon "career" before he left for college......we have 2 that have not been given away.  There is nothing in our home that we can't walk away from......right now....or burn it all, I don't care.

I hope I didn't hijack your thread too badly....my wife and I were just talking about the profound impact that day had on us (anniversary was just a few weeks ago) and it seemed to fit your post.

That thing you think means so much to you?  Give it or throw it away.......in a few weeks you'll be stunned how much you never needed it.  Either that, or burn it all down......it's good for your soul.  And remember.....if you ever DO have a fire....it's just fuel anyway.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-02-22 10:11 PM
2017-02-23 8:33 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
LB, you and your wife are very wise people!!! Thank God you all made it out alive. My dad's house burned when he was 12 and he realized how lucky they were (6 people all made it out). They only mourned the loss of the pictures.
2017-02-24 1:51 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

New user
Richfield, Minnesota
My wife and I are on the minimalism and downsizing track. We live in a pretty modest sized house and with the passing of my father and birth of our first child we realized we are surrounded by stuff. We really want to maximize our space and do not want to end up buying a bigger house to simply store more stuff (room for family growth sure, but not things). The process has been a bit slower than we have liked but between our jobs, a five month old, and MN winters you can only do so much. Recently though we were able to recycle a bunch of old electronics, clothing, and assorted college, grad school, and law school items. My wife has been part of an online group focusing on minimalism and I recently picked up The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing. Currently our plan is to recapture the basement bedroom which has become the miscellaneous storage room. Hopefully we can pickup steam come spring and summer.
2017-02-24 7:55 PM
in reply to: #5214220

New user
We all, eventually, give up 'things'. Some more than others, either way ..ok. Not many give up things that will really change much ie IPads, cell phones, or computers. Things that, you know, occupy us?
2017-02-25 12:03 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Never read a book on the subject, but I have lived pretty much all my adult life in small apartments (one or two bedroom, most in developing countries where the rooms are smaller than the US) with limited storage space, so it has definitely made me a minimalist. My basic technique is, if I get something new, I have to give away something in return. I like fashion and reading, so am a regular contributor to clothes drives and exchanges, our faculty book exchange, Goodwill and the like at home in the US, etc. I repurpose most of my finisher's medals for classroom and sports events. I only keep those for events that were truly memorable and IM brand events (as they tend to be unique; anyway I don't do very many). For travel souvenirs I will generally just get a piece or two of unique fabric that I get made into clothes that I design.

Moving is a great time to take stock of what you have and throw out or give away what you don't need--it's easier to do that than pack it up and then find a "home" for it in the new place.

World politics being what they are, and as an expat for many years, it's also always somewhere in the back of my mind that I might have to leave my current residence, perhaps long-term, on short notice.It has certainly happened to colleagues working elsewhere. So I have a mental (and physical) list of what is absolutely essential to my happiness and well-being and make sure I know where that is at all times in the event the sh... hits the fan. Also useful in the event of fire or natural disaster.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any minimalist or Konmari converts here? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How to convert a PDF to a JPEG?

Started by MomX3
Views: 878 Posts: 12

2012-03-13 9:19 AM MomX3

KC Marathoner tasered for 'minimalist' runnnig Pages: 1 2

Started by mgalanter
Views: 2679 Posts: 38

2011-05-27 4:46 AM mr2tony

Converting eBooks

Started by travljini
Views: 906 Posts: 6

2010-12-06 5:56 AM travljini

Converting a Word Doc to HTML

Started by wurkit_gurl
Views: 731 Posts: 11

2009-10-20 3:44 PM jeng

converting I-Tunes

Started by Focker
Views: 1520 Posts: 8

2009-05-16 8:07 PM tjh
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 16, 2015
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I was running and after about half a mile in I started to feel some pain on the outside of my left foot. I was running in Vibram's on soft trail and this was not the first time I have done this.

date : December 5, 2013
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.
date : July 23, 2012
comments : 3
Does wearing minimalist shoes put more stress on the ankles, shins and knee joints with the loss of padding from conventional running shoes?

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running