General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Feeling shaky after a long workout Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-22 6:53 PM

User image

Subject: Feeling shaky after a long workout
Have any of you ever felt very shaky and unstable after a long run, bike ride or swim? It's something that I have experienced more than once and I wanted to see if anyone had any advice on this.
For example: The other day I ran a 12 mile run before going into work. When I returned from my run, I stretched, took in a lot of gatorade and water and then I took an ice bath. After the bath, I cooked a very high protein breakfast and got myself ready for work. About a half hour into work I felt terrible!!! I was shaky and almost nauseous. Thankfully I had packed a banana with me that day and I ate it right then. About 10 minutes later everything felt back to normal. I couldn't believe that after just one banana my world was changed back. Anyone ever have this issue? If so, what do you do???

Thanks!!
Kaitlin

2017-02-22 11:36 PM
in reply to: kaitlinX3

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Feeling shaky after a long workout

Hi Kaitlin,

I just stumbled on your post and thought I might be able to offer some feedback.  Personally, I am diabetic and this sometimes happens to me when my blood sugar gets too low - hypoglycemia.  It doesn't happen too often but when it does I have to be ready.

While cycling I carry a role of 4Dex (in Canada, you should be able to find something similar in any decent pharmacy).  As soon as I feel shaky I take 4 of the 4Dex tabs which are pure dextrose (sugar) for fast relief.  Other things you can do:  Chocolate milk IMMEDIATELY after your workout.  Banana (of course).  After my own run today I needed to chug a gatorade PDQ as I was beginning to feel shaky.  Your banana was a good reload but it was probably the gatorade that calmed your shakiness.  It just took a while for the sugars to get into your bloodstream.

You mention a high protein breakfast so I wonder if your diet is too low in carbs.  You might need more carbs in your diet if you're maintaining an intense schedule.  You could consider a carbo load dinner the evening before a long run or ride.  If you're trying to stay low carb look for better quality carbs (meaning high fibre) like brown rice, whole wheat pasta and such.  In a workout or race aim for at least 60 grams of carbs per hour on the bike and on the run 100 calories per 2 miles or each Aid station.  Make sure you are also getting enough electrolytes as well.

It is important to remember to have a carb ready to consume within 30 minutes of finishing a workout.  You could also check out Hammer's Recoverite.  I mix it with chocolate milk for a good carb load right after a workout or race.

I hope this helps.  If the problem persists see your doctor.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Feeling shaky after a long workout Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need some good swim workouts!

Started by wahammer
Views: 1028 Posts: 2

2011-02-12 11:47 AM TriAya

Long time lurker - lurking no longer

Started by athivierge
Views: 812 Posts: 4

2010-03-05 11:19 AM athivierge

5 days til my Tri, Food and Workout questions

Started by mountaingirl
Views: 710 Posts: 9

2005-07-29 8:11 AM summer_2005

First pool workout!

Started by murrellbyrdja
Views: 947 Posts: 12

2004-09-21 11:56 AM Scottus

Help with workout schedule....

Started by BigTex
Views: 825 Posts: 6

2004-06-07 9:14 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?

date : January 5, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
As a sports dietitian, I spend too many hours helping my clients find peace with their bodies. So what can you do if you are discontent with your body?
date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : May 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are your long workouts approaching 3 hours? Can't seem to eat enough or time your nutrition? Use the following calorie recommendations and recipes to create your own meal plan.
date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!