General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying Road Bike (Specialized) - Need Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-23 11:13 AM

Subject: Buying Road Bike (Specialized) - Need Advice
Hi,

I'm pretty new to triathlon - did 2 sprints last year and registered to do NYC tri this year. I have a Trek 7.5fx which I'm trading in for a road bike. I had a fitting done on Monday and Specialized seems to fit me best. I tried Specialized 2016 Ruby Disc (shop with give me a discount as its 2016 model) and really like it; however, I've been doing some research and it looks like the 2017 Ruby Elite ($2,600) has 105 vs. the tiagra (10 speed), plus new shock system on the Elite. The shop did not have the Elite in stock so I couldn't try it. I'm new to all of those and was wondering if is worth spending the extra $1000 to get the 2017 Elite. Little background - I'm 52 female (ex-distance runner) due to patellofemoral arthritis I don't see myself doing more than Olympic tris as the running is difficult for me right now. Any advice or experience with the Ruby Disc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2017-03-04 11:15 AM
in reply to: Decoydonna

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Buying Road Bike (Specialized) - Need Advice
I would spend the money on 105 over Tiagra... Not only is it a pain to work on, but it never stays true... it seems like after only a few rides, something is not working perfect any more... With 105, you set it up and it works with only minor tweaks (cable stretch primarily) for quite some time, depending on how much you ride and how well you take care of your bike, it can be a few years between service.

The Specialized Ruby is a great bike to start with, and I'm really glad to see that you did everything in the right order, bike fit first and then look for a bike that fits you, rather than bike first, then trying to make you fit the bike....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying Road Bike (Specialized) - Need Advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I want to buy this bike and need some advice

Started by pbeckman
Views: 1597 Posts: 15

2012-03-03 11:54 AM brucemorgan

Advice needed: Should I buy this bike for my wife

Started by abirnbau
Views: 742 Posts: 5

2009-07-04 6:55 AM abirnbau

Buying my first road bike and need advice....

Started by mtclifford
Views: 919 Posts: 4

2009-04-15 5:14 PM pitt83

Need help with bike buying advice...

Started by cluelessdude
Views: 1101 Posts: 9

2006-04-14 4:29 PM stephen strange

Buying a HRM and bike computer. Need advice

Started by lablover
Views: 1055 Posts: 3

2005-04-04 6:52 PM JGFTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.
date : August 5, 2008
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.