Firm Racing
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 57m 9s
Overall Rank = 489/
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am. Packed up the car and on the drive down ate a begel with peanut butter and a banana.
Event warmup:

Walked to the swim start, did a little streching and splashing in the water prior to the start.
Swim
  • 38m 29s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall the swim went well. The first 200 yeards or so were extremely crowded. A girl next to me freaked out and started flailing and ended up dunking me, which wasn't so much fun. Otherwise the swim went well, and I even had astripped bass swim about 16 inches under me at one point which was cool.
What would you do differently?:

Seal the neck on my wetsuit better. I didn't vlecro it up tight and about halfway through the neck started chafing really bad. This morning I have red welts all around my neck.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Everything went well. The it was a long course so I really felt no rush during the transition.
Bike
  • 3h 33m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.77 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was going well, I was average 18 mph which for me is fast (other than a nasty cross wind from about miles 40 -50) when at mile 54.6 I got a flat on by rear tire. It took about 25 minutes to get it fixed and while I was fixing it (with the help of he wonderful bike supprt people) I watched what seemed like 100+ people pass me. Kind of disparaging especially after a good ride.

As a note, if I hadn't had a flat, I'd have finished the bike in 3:08:05, for an average of 17.86--which would be a new PR for me...still bummed about the flat...

No flats! Also to the guy who yelled at me for crossing over the yellow line. A stray dog ran out in front of me and I had to swerve to miss him--sorry about the cross over but I didn't want to hit the dog.
Transition 2
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

Nothing too exciting. I was bumemd at this point due to the flat and figured my overall time was shot so I took my time in transition.

Should have worked harded to make sure all the sand was off my feet before putting my running socks on. I have three very large and nasty blisters which were partially filled with sand due to that mistake.
Run
  • 2h 39m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Clearly not my best run performance. I met up with Chris as I was heading out and walked with him for a little while, then used the porta potty, didn't really start running until after Mile 1. Didn't kill myself on the course because I figured my time goal was blown and I just wanted to finish strong (and not hurt). Pretty much ran 15 and walked 5 for entire course. Met a lot of great people along the way, wish I could remember names better. Overall though a great experience.

Run more. I think I could have pushed myself harder and next time I will.
Post race
Warm down:

Got to the end. Completely missed seeing Chris at the finish line, so I started wandering around and crying thinking that he'd missed me finish. Eventually he found me and told me he'd been right at the finish line, appearantly I was too out of it to even notice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The flat!!!! Also I can always train harder. I can't wait for next season.

Last updated: 2006-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:29 | 2112 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Orca Sonar
Course: A three sided rectangle out to a buoy, the a straight line then back to shore (I guess it could be called point to point).
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:33:05 | 56 miles | 15.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/11
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Out on route 1-A south, then a 15 miles of so, somewhat hilly section around a neighborhood, then back on 1-A a little further south, turn around in Westerly and back up 1-A North.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:39:00 | 13.1 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/11
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back loops through a few neighboorhoods. A few small hills and some very pretty houses.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-11 10:41 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: Firmman Half Iron Triathlon

2006-09-11 11:48 AM
in reply to: #536298

User image

Veteran
Maine
Subject: RE: Firmman Half Iron Triathlon
Getting a flat really sucks. I did the same race and felt really bad for the people fixing flats.
You train so hard for an event and something like that goes wrong... it's too bad! You had a really nice ride up to that point.
Better luck next race!
2006-09-11 3:22 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Nice race..wow you have done a lot this year!

Without the flat we would have had the exact same time to the second how weird is that? You were doing awesome on the bike...so much stuff on the road very frustrating to get a flat.

Cool that you saw me...not sure which uphill but it is always fun to race with others you know.

Great race all the way around...looking forward to a strong off season and seeing what you do next year!

2006-09-11 3:26 PM

Pro
Andover
You know, I thought I saw a stripper out there as well but figured, "no, not with all this splashing." They must have thought it was a blitz!

Nice job on the swim, especially after that woman went spastic on you! LOL! I had a guy punch me in the side of the face which moved my goggles a bit and let some water in. All I could think of was that I was going to lose a contact and would have to take forever in the T-Are putting a new one in. But, we both made it through, even a little beaten up.

Really sorry to hear about the flat. The whole time I kept thinking, "please don't let me flat. Please don't let me flat." Those roads SUCKED! And, was that dog a small golden retriever? If so, I saw him on the second climbing section. In any event, that was a killer pace you were throwing down until the flat. Nice work!

And good strategy on the run. No sense killing yourself if you already missed your goal.

All-in-all, a nice job!
2006-09-11 3:43 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
My tire went out just as I went over a portion of a rumble strip...so mad that I only had 2 or so miles to go.

As far as the dog, It was medium sixed and yellow, I was just scared I would hurt it and get thrown from my bike. Speaking of hitting animals, I almost hit a chipmunk at about mile 40...it wasn't a good race for me as far as avoiding animals goes.
2006-09-11 3:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Good job on the swim, especially after getting beaten on. I went spastic (to the extent that I'm sure anyone on shore could have picked me out), but I swear it wasn't me.

2006-09-11 6:53 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Nice race especially given the adversity thrown at you.   Sorry to hear about the flat.  That was a great pace your were pushing until it happened.  Those roads were nasty.  Felt bad for everyone I saw changing flats and was just kept hoping I wouldn't flat. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Firmman Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed