General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My 5-yr-old's Running class Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-03-06 1:38 PM

User image

DC
Subject: My 5-yr-old's Running class
Me 5-yr-old boy's joining an after school-running club... obviously tailored for kinder-gardeners. Thing is, he inherited my wife's flat feet. Bad flat feet as in keens almost knocking when they run. Think I should splurge on getting my kid stability shoes or is it the endurance nerd in me speaking?

2017-03-06 4:14 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: My 5-yr-old's Running class
Speaking as a coach here, NO medical expertise. You might want to check with his pediatrician, but probably not necessary unless he can't even walk with a normal gait (in which case he needs more help than running shoes, probably). My guess is he would build more muscles to support proper run form running barefoot or in just normal sports shoes. I've always been flat-footed and have even been accused of running slightly knock-kneed, and actually have had very few overuse injuries--may look awkward but it works for my body.. Did try orthotics for while but they didn't really seem to do anything one way or another; I no longer use them.

Kids that age are still building a lot of basic muscle strength and movement patterns--just seems like stability shoes (if they even exist for kids that small--my guess is we would be talking custom inserts) might inhibit that process, rather than help.
2017-03-06 4:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

My 7 year old has been doing 5K's since she was 5 years old.  She got my tall thin build and has really took to running the past two years.  When she started Tee-Ball at age 4 she ran like a duck. Her coach would cringe watching her run the bases or field a fly ball.  

My 5 year old didn't get my tall thin form.  She is short and stocky but she really lit it up at the Iron Kids race in St. George last year.  I nicknamed her short legs because she could never keep up on outing to the zoo, museum, park, etc. and I always had to carry her to catch up.  I didn't think she would have the same interest in running as her sister but she did races anyways just because her sister was doing them.  She has no desire to do a 5k but does do the shorter fun runs.  With her short legs I am used to seeing her trudge by doing a combination of running and walking at the back-of-the-pack but at the Iron Kids St. George as she round the corner she was moving like a rocket passing kids twice her height with a big smile on her face.  My 7-year old has an effortless glide that allows her to pass people when it looks like she is walking.  The 5-year old doesn't have the legs for the long glide and moved more line a machine gun.  Laying down step after step in rapid fire with a chop to the movement.  Both of them are figuring things out and developing their own form.  Both of them ran like a duck when they were 3-4 years old.  

So it may just take time for your son to figure out his form.  

You might let him just run for several years to see if he improves on his own rather than jumping into shoes that will force him in a certain form.  Once he learns to run with the stability shoes he won't be able to run with out them. if you let he run with out them, he may be able to figure out what fits his type and not need stability shoes later on.

P.S.  No I don't recommend that you start you kids on 5K's at age 5.  My girl decided on her won that she was going to do a 5K. She would have been very disappointing if we didn't let her try.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2017-03-06 4:49 PM
2017-03-06 5:03 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

First - that's awesome!  OK, to the post...

I'm speaking here as an athlete and observer, not as a doctor (disclaimer satisfied). 

I have feet that are flatter than west Texas (so some would say need arch support), and I also pronate somewhat (stability shoe profile).  For me, it has not been a stability shoe or arch support of a particular flavor that makes a difference, but how a particular model of a particular brand works with my gate.  If I wear a shoe with much arch "support" at all, I'm in pain after a couple miles.  Some stability shoes feel like running with pie plates on my feet, whereas others not so much (and same for some marketed as neutral). 

It's unfortunate that there does not seem to be much real consistency among makers (or within, often) as to what stability means, other than built more sturdily (sometimes with lasting, etc. but not always).  It's been trial and error to find what works best for me.

For our kids, we just started them in middle of the road, neutral running shoes, regardless of their foot type (my wife and one of my kids have arches for days, and varying levels of pronation).  Has been fine for them so far, but we monitor and would switch if there were problems (and likely go with the "standard" thinking about to what we'd switch, depending on their foot type - but not for starters).

I'd probably start with something along those lines - neutral with decent cushion and middle of the road arches - unless they have existing problems (aches, pains, etc.) from running previously or develop them soon after starting.

Just my tuppence.  Would be great to hear from a pediatrician.

Matt

2017-03-06 7:53 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Bronze member

Ok now a week ago I would have thought you have enough decent replies you don't my two cents on the subject but since the thread threatening to kill Tritalk I will try to participate and be more active .

Unless he is complaining that something hurts I wouldn't worry about it. 

I grew up with flat narrow feet to the point it was hard to find shoes that fit. I ran track in junior high. I never had any kind of orthotics until I was an adult. 

2017-03-06 8:13 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Pro
He's 5.....don't over think this. Runners come in all shapes, sizes, and foot and knee construction....if you don't mention a worry you might have he'll just go with the rest of the kids.....which won't be far before they stop to throw rocks or jump on the swingset. Remember.....he's NOT a runner...he's a little boy. Enjoy!

2017-03-07 5:49 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
LOL as someone who coaches fairly young kids (ages 8-11), I was trying to imagine what a "running class" for five year olds would look like. Aside from thinking it would somewhat resemble herding cats, my best attempt was we would do various silly relays, run around the field like different kinds of animals, robots, vehicles, zombies, etc. to stop and go music, and play new kinds of tag games. Even at upper elementary level, where there we do some stride drills and continuous running, there are still a lot of games to keep interest going and develop the kids' endurance (i.e. trick them into running more).
2017-03-08 12:23 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

DC
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Speaking as a coach here, NO medical expertise. You might want to check with his pediatrician, but probably not necessary unless he can't even walk with a normal gait (in which case he needs more help than running shoes, probably). My guess is he would build more muscles to support proper run form running barefoot or in just normal sports shoes. I've always been flat-footed and have even been accused of running slightly knock-kneed, and actually have had very few overuse injuries--may look awkward but it works for my body.. Did try orthotics for while but they didn't really seem to do anything one way or another; I no longer use them.

Kids that age are still building a lot of basic muscle strength and movement patterns--just seems like stability shoes (if they even exist for kids that small--my guess is we would be talking custom inserts) might inhibit that process, rather than help.

Excellent. Thanks for taking the time to type it out!
2017-03-08 12:25 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

DC
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

You might let him just run for several years to see if he improves on his own rather than jumping into shoes that will force him in a certain form.  Once he learns to run with the stability shoes he won't be able to run with out them. if you let he run with out them, he may be able to figure out what fits his type and not need stability shoes later on.

Excellent point!
2017-03-08 12:27 PM

User image

DC
Originally posted by Left Brain

He's 5.....don't over think this. Runners come in all shapes, sizes, and foot and knee construction....if you don't mention a worry you might have he'll just go with the rest of the kids.....which won't be far before they stop to throw rocks or jump on the swingset. Remember.....he's NOT a runner...he's a little boy. Enjoy!

Yup, it IS the endurance nerd in me "worrying." Merci.
2017-03-08 12:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Porfirio
Originally posted by Left Brain He's 5.....don't over think this. Runners come in all shapes, sizes, and foot and knee construction....if you don't mention a worry you might have he'll just go with the rest of the kids.....which won't be far before they stop to throw rocks or jump on the swingset. Remember.....he's NOT a runner...he's a little boy. Enjoy!

Don't forget how to worry.....if he falls in love with endurance sports as a teenager you'll have plenty of time for it.

Bike crashes, stress fractures, other injuries, looking out across the lake while you're on vacation only to realize that idiot swimming out there all by himself a half mile away is your kid.........it's endless. LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2017-03-08 12:53 PM

2017-03-08 2:06 PM

User image

DC

Originally posted by Left Brain He's 5.....don't over think this. Runners come in all shapes, sizes, and foot and knee construction....if you don't mention a worry you might have he'll just go with the rest of the kids.....which won't be far before they stop to throw rocks or jump on the swingset. Remember.....he's NOT a runner...he's a little boy. Enjoy!

Don't forget how to worry.....if he falls in love with endurance sports as a teenager you'll have plenty of time for it.

Bike crashes, stress fractures, other injuries, looking out across the lake while you're on vacation only to realize that idiot swimming out there all by himself a half mile away is your kid.........it's endless. LOL

Sounds expensive
2017-03-08 2:43 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Pro

Sounds expensive

Meh......so are lawyers, counselors, drug rehab, etc........there is a price to be paid to raise them up, you just have to decide how you want to spend it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My 5-yr-old's Running class Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Virtual Triathlon/spin class/team

Started by kmonie360
Views: 681 Posts: 4

2016-09-29 2:14 PM L0ST0NE

Why Such Old Related Posts in BT?

Started by scottficek
Views: 556 Posts: 1

2016-08-02 10:25 PM scottficek

Bringing an older wet suit back to life

Started by jdevito20
Views: 1148 Posts: 6

2016-06-13 3:22 PM jdevito20

Decrepit old lady

Started by onefinwonder
Views: 1089 Posts: 7

2016-06-02 4:10 PM onefinwonder

Training - long run before long bike, or long bike before long run?

Started by TTom
Views: 3464 Posts: 16

2016-04-25 1:10 PM bcagle25
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2016
author : rjcalhoun
comments : 5
From heavy, stressed business owner to triathlete