Dallas Athletes Racing
42F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m 46s
Overall Rank = 256/442
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 15/22
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5am, ate some cinnamon toast and drank a DDP. Got TSW up, drove to race site. Got there a little late, barely enough time to set up transition before the officials closed it and herded us all into the pool area, where we waited more than an hour for my time trial start. In the rush, I forgot to note where my area was in relation to the swim exit. Later, realized I'd be headed out with those swimming near me due to the time trial start, making it relatively easy to find.
Event warmup:

None! Sat in the bleachers with TSW watching a whole bunch of people swim before heading poolside myself. Normally don't like to wait for that long but this provided the opportunity for multiple bathroom visits.
Swim
  • 08m 49s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

First ever pool swim. While time wasn't great - about what I expected - there was absolutely no swim leg anxiety. I'd been concerned that a pool swim might be a massive free for all but it didn't turn out that way at all. Watching the first couple hundred swimmers from the bleachers, it was actually quite boring, like watching a bunch of people swim laps. Because that's EXACTLY what it was. Instead of the normal open-water swim induced anxieties and fears adding to the challenges to be overcome, this had none of that. It was exactly like a swim day warm-up. While the "tri snob" in me pooh-poohs this event as not being a "real" tri, I can't deny how an easy and relaxed swim made the rest of the event feel easier.
What would you do differently?:

Not much; swam the whole way through, breathing to both sides, breathing rate remained totally normal.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

I didn't work on even trying to be fast or efficient in transitions. This was easy enough but not fast. Did take a little time to put on a bike fleece to cover the arms. Saw some people struggling to put on leggings and/or exercise pants to block the cold. Entertaining!

Will work on these later in season.
Bike
  • 46m 40s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 16.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent bike leg, though slower than anticipated, probably due to wind and unexpected hills. But I made a concerted effort to back off whenever I felt any sting or pain rising in the legs.

Probably push a little harder going forward. But with no formally structured bike training prior to this (just generally easy riding a couple of times per week), I was OK with this.
Transition 2
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Much longer than normal here because I 1) put on socks and 2) had to tie my shoes. The former was made difficult because my feet were wet, the latter because my fingers seemed to have lost all dexterity in the cold. As I was pulling on my socks, I watched a woman at my rack trying to tie her shoes and not having much success, almost as if she didn't know how. She eventually looked up at me and said, "Tough to tie your shoes when you can't feel your fingers." I understood exactly what she meant moments later when I had trouble making and holding loops!

Bungee laces!! Since I'd not done any sockless training in months, I didn't want to try it today, so I ran in my normal training shoes, which had to be tied. Frankly, I also didn't want to wreck those shoes with wet feet and no socks.
Run
  • 31m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Considering overall lack of any structured training, quite pleased with this run, as I managed to run without any walking outside of the drink stations and I never felt particularly winded. Feet felt like blocks of ice but I soldiered on without much overall discomfort.

Not too much. Hopeful that focused training and lost weight will allow much improved runs later this season.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bottle of water and packed up. Cool thing here is I was actually able to take a shower in the pool's locker room and get really freshened up!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of any structured training since I just decided to do the race a couple of weeks ago. Still feel pretty good about results.

Event comments:

Was not sure about a pool-based tri but I was pleasantly surprised and had a great time. Will definitely do it again. Should note that the reason the race wasn't on time was because it was still dark outside at the published start time of 7:30 since the clocks sprung forward the previous night for daylight savings time.

Last updated: 2017-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:49 | 328 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/22
Overall: 0/442
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Pool swim, snaking across lanes.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:40 | 12.8 miles | 16.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/22
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two loop square in and around Keller, both on primary streets (with our own lane Isolated by traffic cones) and through suburban streets. Some surprisingly tough hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:08
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:31:24 | 03.1 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/22
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on a really nice paved bike/run trail. Did include some relatively short hills but nothing too bad. Some oddball artwork out there too!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes