General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone from Portland/Vancouver or Seattle here? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-03-17 1:16 AM

User image

Subject: Anyone from Portland/Vancouver or Seattle here?

Need some on-the-ground advice. Thanks.

Specifically:

1. Pool for lap swimming with drop-in entry
2. Cycle shop for shoes and clits
3. Running shoe/gear shop
4. Tri clothes/equipment shop

Many thanks

2017-03-17 7:27 AM
in reply to: aribloch

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Anyone from Portland/Vancouver or Seattle here?
I'm from Eugene and sometimes head up north to shop; lived in Portland for two years, but that was pre-triathlon--was more into casual running, trail running, and hiking. You can get very good deals sometimes on bike and tri clothing and shoes at the Pearl Izumi outlet store in Woodburn. It's about 30 miles south of Portland. Also for the budget-minded, Next Adventure on MLK Boulevard has a lot of gear in general (although not strong on tri-specific stuff). Some of it is new; they also have second-hand stuff. I've gotten new and secondhand shorts, tops, and winter running gear (jackets, thermal tights) there. They also have trail-running packs, shoes, etc. There is a really good running store (though pricey) right down the street--forget its name. Aside from that, will let the current locals advise!
2017-03-17 11:32 AM

Master
, California

Originally posted by aribloch Need some on-the-ground advice. Thanks. Specifically: 1. Pool for lap swimming with drop-in entry 2. Cycle shop for shoes and clits 3. Running shoe/gear shop 4. Tri clothes/equipment shop Many thanks

Seattle area here:

1. King County Aquatic Center (Federal Way) has an Olympic 50m pool.  Bellevue Aquatic Center is a decent eastside facility for drop-ins.

2. Bike shops are all over the place in the northwest.  Gregg's has several locations, as does Performance Bike, and there are many others.

3. Road Runner Sports or Fleet Feet Sports are the big two.

4. Northwest Tri and Bike (Kent) is the last one standing that I know of (R.I.P. Speedy Reedy).

2017-03-17 11:35 AM
in reply to: spudone

Master
, California

Also don't forget REI is good for all-purpose bad weather gear, along with some limited selection of bike and run stuff.

2017-03-17 6:13 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Oh that Vancouver.

2017-03-18 2:37 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Clarifying--The Pearl Izumi outlet is in the Woodburn outlet mall, right along I-5 south of Portland. You can see the mall and sign to the right of the interstate as you drive south--hard to miss. Next Adventure is at 426 Southeast Grand (I think runs parallel to MLK--both are one-way streets), Portland Running Company at 800 SE Grand. Also has a branch in Beaverton. Also has group runs leaving from the shop.

In PDX, a cool place to run is the bike/pedestrian trail system along the Willamette River. They go right through downtown (easy access if you are staying/working there) and cross several of the bridges. Well marked. It's part of a larger system that heads out of town--forget name. As a solo woman runner, I didn't feel safe on the more isolated outer sections of the trail (which run behind residential and industrial areas) but enjoyed running/walking/ biking the stretch between Sellwood (near where I lived in SE Portland) and the downtown area--tons of people out on weekends when the weather is nice. There is also a huge system of trails in Forest Park but again, not so safe for solo women, plus easy to get lost. Recommend going with a group or local until you get your bearings.

2017-03-18 2:39 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Originally posted by spudone

Seattle area here:

I also found this pool, any views?

Medgar Evers Pool
On 23rd AV

http://www.seattle.gov/parks/find/pools/evers-pool/evers-pool-sched...
2017-03-18 2:47 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Clarifying--The Pearl Izumi outlet is in the Woodburn outlet mall, right along I-5 south of Portland. You can see the mall and sign to the right of the interstate as you drive south--hard to miss. Next Adventure is at 426 Southeast Grand (I think runs parallel to MLK--both are one-way streets), Portland Running Company at 800 SE Grand. Also has a branch in Beaverton. Also has group runs leaving from the shop.

In PDX, a cool place to run is the bike/pedestrian trail system along the Willamette River. They go right through downtown (easy access if you are staying/working there) and cross several of the bridges. Well marked. It's part of a larger system that heads out of town--forget name. As a solo woman runner, I didn't feel safe on the more isolated outer sections of the trail (which run behind residential and industrial areas) but enjoyed running/walking/ biking the stretch between Sellwood (near where I lived in SE Portland) and the downtown area--tons of people out on weekends when the weather is nice. There is also a huge system of trails in Forest Park but again, not so safe for solo women, plus easy to get lost. Recommend going with a group or local until you get your bearings.

Thanks. I will actually be staying in Vancouver, near Northfield
The annoying part is that due to suspect injuries I am on a very (very) low mileage, else I would be running all over the pace.
I did sign up for the 5K at HipHop, just for kicks (and as a lactic acid field test for me).
I was actually born in Portland, a million years ago....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone from Portland/Vancouver or Seattle here? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sprint or Swim in Portland or Seattle in April?

Started by aribloch
Views: 794 Posts: 5

2017-01-27 5:02 PM Hot Runner

Anyone swim train in backyard pool?

Started by 90min2iron
Views: 1017 Posts: 4

2016-07-14 6:01 PM Donto

Dry needling anyone?

Started by Fitnessgurl
Views: 2440 Posts: 17

2016-06-15 2:31 PM jmkizer

IM 70.3 Calgary--Anyone done it?

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 750 Posts: 6

2016-06-06 7:22 AM Hot Runner

Anyone doing Raleigh 70.3?

Started by skipg
Views: 1157 Posts: 4

2016-04-25 12:31 PM smoom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 31, 2016
author : Jwse30
comments : 4
I rode my old beater bicycle to my daughter's swim team, and now I'm a triathlete