General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Masters Ironman Training plans/Coaches Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-03-22 8:48 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Masters Ironman Training plans/Coaches

I have been around the world of instruction/teaching/coaching for many years. I have a core philosophy that most people in it get in to deep. Simply stated to define yourself as a coach you need to be creating the appearance that you know more then the rest. Not a horrible approach. With that, the lessons and programs become unnecessarily complicated.

So as I approach my first Ironman at 50 years old with about 10 year in the sport and 40+ races completed up to half distance I am contemplating the need to buy a training plan or hire a coach. I have looked at hundreds of plans now, and they seem way to complicated and restrictive. I am not racing to win I am racing to finish and feel good about it. At my age it seems the risk of injury adding hours of speed and interval work to a huge base build goes up significantly and I have not found a coach or plan that focuses on just building the mileage base and keeping you strong and health for race day.

I should add that many of my training partners have failed to reach the starting line healthy because they over did it.

So Help ME!!! am I wrong? can you suggest a plan or coach with a more simplistic approach? Right now I am inclined to freelance it, is that a recipe for disaster.

Your input is welcomed.

2017-03-22 10:50 AM
in reply to: adker

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Masters Ironman Training plans/Coaches
Originally posted by adker

I have been around the world of instruction/teaching/coaching for many years. I have a core philosophy that most people in it get in to deep. Simply stated to define yourself as a coach you need to be creating the appearance that you know more then the rest. Not a horrible approach. With that, the lessons and programs become unnecessarily complicated.

So as I approach my first Ironman at 50 years old with about 10 year in the sport and 40+ races completed up to half distance I am contemplating the need to buy a training plan or hire a coach. I have looked at hundreds of plans now, and they seem way to complicated and restrictive. I am not racing to win I am racing to finish and feel good about it. At my age it seems the risk of injury adding hours of speed and interval work to a huge base build goes up significantly and I have not found a coach or plan that focuses on just building the mileage base and keeping you strong and health for race day.

I should add that many of my training partners have failed to reach the starting line healthy because they over did it.

So Help ME!!! am I wrong? can you suggest a plan or coach with a more simplistic approach? Right now I am inclined to freelance it, is that a recipe for disaster.

Your input is welcomed.

Interview coaches. Don't tell them what you are looking for, let them tell you their philosophy. Ask them what they think about speed work on the run and other things. Then pick one who's beliefs line up with yours. IMO, I would avoid anyone who believes in run speed work for an IM completer over 50. KQer, yes, completer no.
2017-03-23 9:11 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

New user

Good Point, not really thinking coach is the way I want to go, but would like a viable training plan to use as a guide, seems as though all of them I read are really geared toward someone trying race not finish.
2017-03-23 10:14 AM

Good Point, not really thinking coach is the way I want to go, but would like a viable training plan to use as a guide, seems as though all of them I read are really geared toward someone trying race not finish.

Try the free plans at California Triathlon. They sound like what you are looking for.
2017-03-23 1:27 PM

User image

Oviedo, Florida

I used (am using..) Don Fink's Be Iron Fit. The book has three complete 30 week training guides - Just finish, Intermediate and Competitive. I used the Competitive program and will be racing HITS Ocala Full on April 1st. I really enjoyed the plan and I've made it through the program injury free. I definitely feel ready for the race.

--
Dave
2017-03-23 2:34 PM
in reply to: davetib

User image

New user

Thanks for the suggestion just ordered 3rd addition of the book

2017-03-23 10:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I also used Be Iron Fit for my 1st IM and it got me to a 11:30 IM. I used the competitive plan. It does have some speed work but you can skip that if you want. Its progression is very slow and I still use it as a reference a lot. This is the 2nd year I started the season with shin splints from over training for running (slipped disk 2 months ago and rushed back into 13+mile runs too quickly) so I'm following that run part again since his slow ramp up is way more sensible than what I was doing. I made up my own training plan for my 2nd IM but still used it as a reference as a guidance for speed but I created my own run and bike workouts (have a power meter and know how to train with it now).

A lot of his "intervals" are like:
Do a 4 hours bike ride but push it the last 15 mins with a 5 min cooldown before a brick run
Run 1:15 with intervals starting at 6x1 mins and slowly getting them up to 6 minutes

Again you can skip the intervals if your just looking for base miles but the slow progression had me feeling pretty good. I felt tried during peek weeks and the rest week recharged me and allowed me go on.

Edited by Blastman 2017-03-23 10:38 PM
2017-03-24 9:09 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

New user

Thank you I am looking forward to getting the book, sounds like a good reference and it sounds like you and I have similar approaches
2017-03-24 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I also did my first IM at the age of 50.

I used the BT Intermediate Full Ironman 20 week plan developed by Mike Ricci. The plan was great and Mike answered any questions I in regards to the plan. In hindsight, I would hire him as a coach along with using the plan because he provided so much good information. I wish I would have spent more time on Nutrition for a IM. I developed some stomach issues which impacted my overall time in my first IM. Mike helped me with some nutrition errors I made in the race. I knocked two hours off my next IM.

You can reach out to him on BT if you want to make sure you have the best plan for success.

Good luck with IM.
2017-03-24 10:01 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Many programs may be unnecessarily complicated, though good plans have a consistency to them which you can use for the vast majority of situations even if you don't follow them as written.  Also, some mix of intensity is usually a good idea, regardless of age or completion/competition goals.  But you (or your coach) should make sure the amount and type of intensity is appropriate for you and your background/abilities.  For an IM, most of your intensity is going to be limited to threshold work (longer, sustained periods of hard, steady effort vs. 'all-out' shorter sprints).   And one can easily over-do it without doing any intensity.  Just some things to keep in mind.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Masters Ironman Training plans/Coaches Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri-training plan Run heavy for marathon training?

Started by kctkd
Views: 1674 Posts: 7

2016-06-29 7:18 PM tedjohn

Training plan swim question

Started by KTLiz
Views: 1125 Posts: 8

2016-05-02 11:57 PM AdventureBear

Training Peaks Training Plan Question

Started by cjohns716
Views: 901 Posts: 1

2016-04-18 10:23 PM cjohns716

Ironman's Coach Match

Started by bcagle25
Views: 986 Posts: 3

2016-03-30 8:58 AM bcagle25

13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by Tri Take Me Away
Views: 50900 Posts: 271

2022-01-12 2:33 AM Deneen-Bruss
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2017
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Volunteer Mentors Inspire Triathletes

date : October 31, 2016
comments : 0
What features are worth paying for?
date : August 31, 2016
Click an option and have tomorrow's training emailed to you daily.

date : July 31, 2016
author : alicefoeller
How to rearrange your workouts in the BT Training Calendar
date : March 31, 2016
author : CPesson
Triathlete credits BeginnerTriathlete with keeping him on track