General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri top/bottoms Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-03-22 4:40 PM

Subject: Tri top/bottoms
Hey everybody my name is Pat and I am going to be competing in my first half IM in a couple weeks down in Galveston TX. Ive decided on going with a two piece tri suit mainly for bathroom functionality. I was wondering what you all thought about brands and if there are any must own tri tops/bottoms? Based off a little bit of research Huub, 2XU, Desoto and Sugoi are the top contenders. Huub/Desoto are a little on the expensive side so leaning toward 2XU and Sugoi at the moment as I am trying to stay within $130 ish price range. Any real advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Pat

Edited by patty_b 2017-03-22 4:41 PM

2017-03-23 6:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Tri top/bottoms
I have been happy with my 2XU suit, although in my case I prefer a one-piece for up to and including HIM. It is well-designed and durable, although I don't find their women's stuff very attractive--boring colors, few patterns. I often race in very hot weather and can testify that their cooling fabrics do provide some cooling feel when wet, if that matters. As I recall, Sugoi runs small (mainly, short) relative to 2XU. It's popular with many of my more petite Asian competitors because they feel like they can find a better fit. 2XU seems to assume a taller, lankier frame in general, at least for women.

Which brand is best heavily depends on how it fits (if you fit well into one of their size profiles). If you are particularly tall or short, or have a larger or smaller build than average, you're more likely to have difficulty. I would not necessarily rule out a one piece, particularly if having trouble finding a top/shorts combo you are happy with. Many suits (including my 2XU sleeveless) have front-entry zippers, and are really no less convenient than shorts. Actually I find it a lot easier than having to deal with drawstrings in shorts--I have a small waist relative to the rest of me, so end up tying the drawstring super tight; then, clumsy with race-day adrenaline, I can't get it undone! You are getting more undressed in a bathroom stop with a one-piece, but it's very quick. Back-entry zippers are more of a pain.

Really you should have ordered/purchased the tri top/shorts a couple of months ago. At least try to get in one longer training session in each sport (close to race distance) so you can make sure the outfit is functional and comfortable. A top, shorts, or suit may feel fine in the store, but you never really know how it will work until you wear it in a longer workout approximating race conditions. (I once found out the hard way that some shorts that worked okay in the pool were too loose for an open water swim against strong current--ended up spending half the race trying to keep my shorts from sliding off. I think that was when I gave up and started racing in a once-piece!)

I would venture that at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the tri gear I have purchased doesn't actually work for all three events in a race, and I just use it for training or aquathlons or duathlons. I have suits that I only wear for a wetsuit swim, for example (because they're too loose), or will only wear for a swim-run race (because the pad in the bike shorts doesn't work with my butt and saddle). Hit the stores (or Amazon or whatever) NOW!

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-03-23 6:53 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri top/bottoms Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri top Suggestions.

Started by Dr Oz
Views: 746 Posts: 1

2017-02-12 9:40 PM Dr Oz

Garmin 920 Tri setting

Started by buggymac
Views: 1021 Posts: 1

2016-07-30 8:54 AM buggymac