General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do we take RI's in the swim? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-03-24 4:25 PM

Subject: Why do we take RI's in the swim?
Hi All,

Been swimming for about 2 months now. Fortunately I joined a masters group right from the get go and hopefully can avoid developing some bad habits. My question is this, why do swimmers take rest intervals? All the way up to the elite IM swimmers, there is lots of RI in their programs (been listening lots to the tower 26 podcast).

We don't have the same thing in running and cycling, though of course we do tempo work, intervals and so forth, but we never stop. I have a theory on why we do, but before I muddy the waters I'd like to hear your thoughts!

I'm obviously going to keep doing it (aside from race day, or maybe the odd time trial) because it must have merit, or else everybody wouldn't be doing it. I'm just curious why.

2017-03-24 5:38 PM
in reply to: drew_ab

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Why do we take RI's in the swim?
I'm sure the swim experts/fish will chime in on this one, but my understanding is that it's because swimming, unlike running or cycling, is heavily technique-based. Most people's form will deteriorate after a continuous swim of some distance, then training starts to give diminishing returns or could even be counterproductive (if you're just ingraining bad habits). Particularly for many triathletes who are adult-onset swimmers, and who are training for the longer distances, only swimming at/near race distance continuously in training would probably lead to continuous practice of terrible form. Better to swim shorter intervals at a faster pace with better form. The conditioning benefit is similar, and you will be more likely to develop a more efficient stroke as well.

That being said, I think it is a good idea just to continuously swim the race distance occasionally (maybe once every month or two), to get a feel for the distance, confidence, and develop a sense of pace. I know some will disagree with me, but I find it useful.
2017-03-24 5:42 PM

I am no expert, but from my research I concluded. So you can maintain form. The rest helps with that.

Here is an article that explains it better.

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_swim/tno_swimarticle_06.asp

2017-03-24 5:51 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Originally posted by drew_ab

Hi All,

Been swimming for about 2 months now. Fortunately I joined a masters group right from the get go and hopefully can avoid developing some bad habits. My question is this, why do swimmers take rest intervals? All the way up to the elite IM swimmers, there is lots of RI in their programs (been listening lots to the tower 26 podcast).

We don't have the same thing in running and cycling, though of course we do tempo work, intervals and so forth, but we never stop. I have a theory on why we do, but before I muddy the waters I'd like to hear your thoughts!

I'm obviously going to keep doing it (aside from race day, or maybe the odd time trial) because it must have merit, or else everybody wouldn't be doing it. I'm just curious why.

Yes actually we do in running. In cycling we have coasting and soft-pedaling which is similar. As for running a very common workout is 5x1 mile on the track with 90 seconds rest in between miles.
2017-03-24 7:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Good points and to add to above - a lot has to do with trying not to get swimmers too bored (scenery doesn't change in a pool) and also the distances in swimming events result in coaching dogma for anaerobic/threshold events. I think most triathletes can get the most use from these sorts of exercises with a focus on technique. Swimming effectively can be more like a hydroplane boat getting up -- when you get going you can feel when you get up to a certain pace and efficiency seems to click in. Intervals and adequate rest help maintain good form rather than flailing around.

Edited by Rdubb 2017-03-24 7:48 PM
2017-03-24 11:37 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
The obvious answer is to help maintain good form. However, I had good form so my training was different than most people. I just swam a nonstop continuous swim. Within the swim I would do intervals and my rest period would be continuing at an easy effort for a lap. So it might look like this...hard 200, easy 50 times 10. That would be a swim of 2500 plus warmup and cool down. While I was never a great swimmer I did have my oly time down to about 23 minutes. This method allowed me to actually do much less swim training and still be somewhat decent. Of course the key was having good form. This wouldn't be good for someone who swims like they're dragging an anchor.

2017-03-25 1:21 AM
in reply to: Donskiman

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
True--If you do have good form, then doing swim workouts similar to fartlek in running can be an effective way to get in decent quality training in limited time. My coach will sometimes have me do something similar, like 1500 to 2000m of continuous swimming, but alternating various sets of harder and easier effort. Often it's a ladder of hard/easy intervals building up to maybe 200 or 250m hard, the same distance easy, and then back down. I've been a distance swimmer since I was a "tween", so this kind of stuff seems to come naturally to me and is my favourite kind of workout--I'm neither very good at, nor particularly enjoy, sprinting, but I find with this kind of long effort at varied pace, I can really get into a rhythm and feel relaxed and efficient without undue fatigue. Often I can finish at the same pace per 100, even after 3K or more, that I might struggle to hold for big sets of repeats of shorter intervals--just the way my body works.

This allows a proficient swimmer with limited time to get a more effective and focused workout in a short time than just mindlessly swimming laps (plus way easier to count). But I would not recommend it for someone with serious technique issues or a more beginning swimmer for whom just completing the distance is difficult, nor as the only kind of workout for anyone.
2017-03-25 4:40 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
In addition to maintaining good form (which is very important), using intervals allows swimmers to swim a bit faster and since water is much greater than air so small changes in speed lead to big changes in the "feel" of the water. Part of swimming faster is learning how the water feels at faster speeds.

Shane
2017-03-25 9:39 AM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Aledo, Texas

Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri Yes actually we do in running. In cycling we have coasting and soft-pedaling which is similar. As for running a very common workout is 5x1 mile on the track with 90 seconds rest in between miles.

This x 2. Most quality run workouts (excepting the long run) will always involve some sort of rest interval. The length will depend on the system being stressed, but it is there. I'd venture to say that a common mistake runners make is skimping on rest intervals, or taking them too hard. 

2017-03-25 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
I actually train for the swim very similar to how I train for cycling and running. I typically swim 2-3 days per week (2 harder interval days that equal between 2-3k and 1 "easier day" that is about the same distance but continuous. My sets usually include about 1100-1200 warm up (3x300 swim, 100 kick) followed by my main set. Although the main set is broken up, I work various intervals (100's, 200's, 300's). Sometimes it's time, other times it's to work on different strokes. I also like to throw in different intensities within sets such as 5x200 - 50 easy, 100 hard, 50 easy.

One thing I have found is that swimming harder intervals has really increased my aerobic capacity. It allows me to push even harder aerobically when training the bike and run. Obviously we can't go that hard the whole time during intervals

This method has worked for me. I'm looking to go between 25-28 in my HIM swim if that means anything.
2017-03-27 1:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Because coach said so.

That's how swimmers train. Technique breaks down on longer repeats or straight swims. You fall off pace.

You are far better to swim lots of short reps at race pace than trying to mimic your race distance in every workout.

Take what you want from this but I'm 40 and swam 400m free at a master's meet yesterday in 4:14.62. That's 1:03.6/100

2017-03-27 11:35 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by simpsonbo

Because coach said so.

That's how swimmers train. Technique breaks down on longer repeats or straight swims. You fall off pace.

You are far better to swim lots of short reps at race pace than trying to mimic your race distance in every workout.

Take what you want from this but I'm 40 and swam 400m free at a master's meet yesterday in 4:14.62. That's 1:03.6/100

Wow, nice swim, so sub 4:00 in SCY most likely, way to go!

To the OP, yes form and also when you swim 50's, 100's etc. you're often (hopefully) swimming at a pace faster than you would during a 750m or 1500m open water swim. To get faster at OW long swims you've got to get your body going faster than that pace in shorter intervals. But taking that 10-20 sec. rest in between will help you sustain that pace throughout the workout. As your stroke starts to fall apart your times will also.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do we take RI's in the swim? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimming - Why is my first 100 faster than my others

Started by cdoug55
Views: 1434 Posts: 13

2017-02-19 8:04 PM simpsonbo

Why faster on short swim sets? Pages: 1 2

Started by aribloch
Views: 2450 Posts: 33

2016-12-26 9:40 PM goforit

Do you have to swim in the swim section of the event