General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Popped my Cherry (or my tire) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-03-26 11:02 AM

User image

, Pennsylvania
Subject: Popped my Cherry (or my tire)
Hello all...I would be the new guy.

Getting into the swing of cycling and getting much more comfortable on the bike. Riding along Rt. 30 (near Gettysburg) I got my first flat tire. Glad I had changed a tire at home before, got the tube changed and tire on and back off I went.

About 20 miles after that happened my left pedal became loose and inoperable. I went as long as I could with one foot and then hopped off and ran the bike home the last 1/2-3/4 mile.

So I learned:
*It's good to have the right gear/tools
**Make sure you have ALL the right gear/tools as I had left my multi-tool at home
***Running in bike shoes is dumb
****Running in bike shoes in the grass is less dumb.

Hope you all have a great Sunday, nice to meet you.

2017-03-27 5:34 AM
in reply to: #5216823

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Popped my Cherry (or my tire)
Talk to cyclist/triathletes long enough and you'll find we've all learned a lesson or two the hard way.

When I first started riding I went out early on a Saturday morning while my wife was sleeping in. About 15mi from the house I tipped over going uphill and embedded my handlebar into my leg. I was fifth because the road was wet. After 10min of calling her I decided my wife must be in the shower or something and decided to ride on home...dripping blood from a rather large leg wound. Five miles later, going up another hill, I broke my chain. I was still five miles from home. I called and called and called...no answer. I had just gotten my bike shoes and didn't want to foul them up, so I walked home pushing my bike in my socks dripping blood down my leg the whole time. It was terrible!!
2017-03-27 1:26 PM
in reply to: 0

Hopefully you have better luck than I.
After I blew my first one.....
I blew another one on the very next ride. (Could have been that the tube I used on the previous ride for the fix was old).
Prior to the next ride, I had installed new wheels, tubes, and new tires...

And promptly flatted for a third flat in as many rides. There may have been one shorter ride in there I got away with.

Pretty sure the last one was due to a big rut in the road. One of those seams in concrete....this one happened to be quite jagged and I got in there askew. I remember thinking...."no car, don't go there, don't....you're going to force me into that rut".....The front wheel escaped. The rear wheel was in it...and I could feel it fighting as I tried to steer out of it.

Good since then.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-03-27 1:50 PM
2017-03-28 7:13 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Talk to cyclist/triathletes long enough and you'll find we've all learned a lesson or two the hard way.

When I first started riding I went out early on a Saturday morning while my wife was sleeping in. About 15mi from the house I tipped over going uphill and embedded my handlebar into my leg. I was fifth because the road was wet. After 10min of calling her I decided my wife must be in the shower or something and decided to ride on home...dripping blood from a rather large leg wound. Five miles later, going up another hill, I broke my chain. I was still five miles from home. I called and called and called...no answer. I had just gotten my bike shoes and didn't want to foul them up, so I walked home pushing my bike in my socks dripping blood down my leg the whole time. It was terrible!!

That was some bad luck. More than likely, somebody would have stopped and helped you if you lived in the south. I had people stop to check on me when I just taking a short break or wiping the sweat from my eyes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Popped my Cherry (or my tire) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wheel/tire question

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1236 Posts: 6

2016-09-26 7:22 AM WildWill

tire question

Started by Burchib
Views: 797 Posts: 8

2016-08-24 5:01 PM tridantri

Which wheel/tire setup to run

Started by TJHammer
Views: 630 Posts: 7

2016-07-27 10:44 AM TJHammer

Putting Road Tires On CX bike for Spritn - Need Tire Help!

Started by jmhall0123
Views: 1510 Posts: 23

2016-08-06 2:39 PM DaveL

Optimal Tire Pressure

Started by dtoce
Views: 3209 Posts: 7

2016-07-05 7:31 AM mike761