General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint triathlon while fasting? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-03-30 2:55 AM

Subject: Sprint triathlon while fasting?
Hi everyone

Have started training for triathlon and want to do my first sprint triathlon on June 9th at 7pm. all looks fine and my fitness level is matching the sprint distance (i can run 10k under 54 min, Im biking 50-60km per week and building up but weak in swim).

All looks fine except the fact that I will be fasting from end of May until end of June, hence no eating or drinking until around 10 pm.

I plan to carry on with the training during the month, but wondering whether you recommend that I do a local sprint triathlon on a fasting day at 7 pm.

Thanks,
Mehdi

2017-03-30 6:10 AM
in reply to: #5217127

User image

Subject: RE: Sprint triathlon while fasting?
You can probably get away with "completing" a sprint without paying too much to your nutrition, however, I would not expect to be on the podium. However, I could be wrong.

Depending on when you are allowed to eat (I assume sundown to sunrise), you may have to adjust your training to occur during these times. To train during the day, while not being able to replenish vital nutrients after a hard workout I think could be disastrous and potentially lead to injury.

If you could finish you workout before sunrise, drink 12-16oz of chocolate milk, and get breakfast in, you should be ok. Breakfast will now be even more important than it probably was during times of fasting. Make sure to replenish your system with plenty of carbs, protein, and healthy fats.

Taking in 1500+ calories for breakfast, knowing you can't eat again until 10pm is not unreasonable. Try to keep your evening meal lighter, if possible.
2017-03-30 6:31 AM
in reply to: Mebennani

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would be concerned about racing after not eating and, more importantly, not drinking for 12 hours or more. Have not tried that myself, but I have occasionally taught and coached (running and swimming) Muslim students fasting for Ramadan. In most cases they don't train during that period or (for older, more committed kids) adjust their schedules to practice in the early morning or late evening. Often they follow a less strict version of the fast where they are drinking water and/or electrolyte drinks during the day; if not, I would not allow the child to train or compete outdoors in the afternoon tropical heat--I would be too worried about dehydration and heat illness.

Adults probably can manage a bit better in a fasted state, but it would still seem that trying to race, even a sprint, in that state, would be at best difficult and uncomfortable, and at worst compromise your ability to finish, especially the swim if you aren't confident in it at the best of times. I'd be even more concerned about dehydration--you'd probably be starting it in a somewhat dehydrated state, and then not taking in anything during the race, nor for a few hours afterward. I would not consider it unless weather conditions were very mild. Were I to try this in the tropics, I would probably end up "rehydrating" in the medical tent with an IV. Not sure what religion would say about that, but in any case, it's not a good situation!

A morning race would be much easier to finish, as you could be well fueled and hydrated in advance, but again, especially if conditions are hot, I'd hesitate if I knew I couldn't rehydrate for many hours afterwards.
2017-03-30 8:40 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Thanks for the good feedback, I live in Netherlands and temperature should around 18-20 degrees. Agree I will be dehydrated even before the race. and unfortunately I dont have the luxury to take in any liquids during the day and in any way, also I am taking the risk to get water in my estomac while doing a sport activity.

The idea is not to be in the podium but just to finish the race. I will take a safe approach and volunteer for the organisation of the event rather than participating (its the Tri association Im member of who is organising).

I actually came across a sprint triathlon in a month with swimming in an open 50m swimming pool which i think is good for a first triathlon?

2017-03-30 10:29 PM
in reply to: Mebennani

User image

Extreme Veteran
You might want to consider at least once a week doing a combination bike run at 7pm to get your body's physiology ready for it. I think a Sprint distance is very doable considering you stay reasonable hydrated and fed during the period of time you can eat.

You might not want get yourself excessively heated up or overworked on the day of the event. You also might want to weigh yourself before the event to make sure you don't enter too depleted. You might want to check your heart rate before and during the event for a sudden change. Finally you might want to check your urine before the event. If your urine is pretty dark I would skip the event. During the event some people will try perform mental calculations. If you suddenly can no longer do them you might want to stop. Counting backwards from 100 by 7's is a good one.

So basically try to train like you're going to race.
Keep yourself cool and relaxed the day of the event.
Watch your weight, heart rate and concentration of urine before the triathlon.
Drop out of the race at any sign of trouble. ie: Shortness of breath, dizziness, difficulty with concentration.

Make sure you eat and drink as soon as you can.

Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint triathlon while fasting? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The swim in your first triathlon (sprint)

Started by drew_ab
Views: 4310 Posts: 8

2017-03-06 1:26 PM mcmanusclan5

8.19.16 Fast Friday

Started by LundyLund
Views: 388 Posts: 2

2016-08-19 8:17 PM trijamie

Can you recommend a triathlon coach for getting fast at the Olympic distance

Started by MikaelEriksson
Views: 2027 Posts: 13

2016-07-28 4:54 PM csaf31

Sprint vs super sprint?