Great Race of Agoura Hills
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 44m 13s
Overall Rank = 27/1696
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 4/46
Pre-race routine:

Been nursing right hip/ITB injury since late December. Got through LA Marathon two weeks ago on lots of rest...which means I'm very undertrained for shorter races. Did a test 5 1/2 mile trail run pretty hard on Thursday night with my running club...that went okay, but I wanted to see how everything felt Friday morning, rather than registering for the 10K online. That meant onsite registration at 6am...which was okay, because it meant I could decide onsite if I felt okay to race. (I was going to the event anyway, because I had fellow club members racing and a club tent to hang out at.)

Felt okay to race, so I pulled the trigger on registration. 10K has two waves, but the fast wave (sub-54:00...I usually run ~44:00) was sold out. Found the club tent and dropped my chair and gear. Pretty cold by LA standards...mid-40s when I got to the site.
Event warmup:

Minimal...some short striders after walking the decent climb up the hill to the (screaming downhill) start. Set up at the very front of the "slow" wave, which started 2 minutes after the much smaller "fast" wave.
Run
  • 44m 13s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt okay. The event also has a trail half, a road half, and a 5K. I've run both half marys in the past, so I know the lay of the land reasonably well, even though I've never run this 10K. With minimal race-specific training and minimal volume the last 4 weeks apart from the marathon two weeks ago, I was figuring on about a 44:45...which is about 1:20 off my PR.

Because I was in the slow wave, I was one of about 6 or 7 runners who went out fast and left most of the (54:00+) pack behind us. I was catching the back of the "fast" wave by about a mile in, as I expected. Felt pretty good and felt okay about holding a pace under my predicted 7:15/mile.

My right LTF and ITB were both aching by 2.5 miles in...they've been an issue for months, but today it was just a dull ache in my hip to contend with. Race was otherwise uneventful.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push the hills in mile 5 a bit more? Ultimately I had no real shot at 3rd in my AG. What is irritating is that my time today would have won the age group last year by almost two minutes! You just never know who's gonna show up. Can't complain about the time, though, given lack of preparation...and not even knowing for sure I was going to race until I got out of bed this morning.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and then stretched. Skipped a cooldown run with my club. Race has a pancake tent for finishers...had two pancakes (something I rarely eat), with strawberry jam, no syrup.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Right hip stabilizer injury dating back to at least December...leading to a pulled hamstring around Christmas...and no speedwork to speak of since then. Ran LA Marathon 13 days ago, but--other than that--did only 4 runs in the last 4 weeks!

Event comments:

This is a very popular and relatively well-known 10K that is part of the larger "Great Race of Agoura Hills" event. Excellent race...scenic course...good support....excellent post-race amenities.

Last updated: 2017-04-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:44:13 | 06.21 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/46
Overall: 27/1696
Performance: Good
Course: Winding loop...97% or so on pavement. Some serious hills/rollers in miles 5 & 6.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes