General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me dress for this bike ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-02 5:25 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: Help me dress for this bike ride
Starting temp. expected to be 34 (F). High of 62 (F).

I have tights that are OK at 45 deg (I don't typically ride when it's colder than that). I have a Castelli Senza 2 jacket that I like. I have Pearl Izumi winter gloves that I think will be fine (for the speeds I'll be going ). I have a beanie I got from Desoto. I have a neck gaiter I bought in CO. I have shoe covers (toe). Do I need a full face cover?

I need to know what would be a good base layer(s) I could wear under the jacket. I only have a short window to order this stuff.

I have Underarmour coldgear. I'm a very avid hunter. I'd probably be the only one in camo.....lol.

Suggestions? Any tips?

Thank you!

2017-04-02 6:04 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Help me dress for this bike ride
I think you will be fine in what you have mentioned but I do wear this balaclava from REI in cooler weather. What's nice about it is it is stretchy enough that I can pull the portion down below my chin if things start fogging up.

https://www.rei.com/product/784560/smartwool-balaclava?CAWELAID=1202...

2017-04-02 6:25 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
That's a common range for our Houston area rides on cool winter days. Tights, a good base layer and a jacket should be adequate. Don't forget a good pair of socks. One suggestion:: use clear packing tape to cover the vents in your helmet. Eliminate that air flow over your head and it'll help a lot.
2017-04-02 7:48 PM
in reply to: dandr614

Originally posted by dandr614

I think you will be fine in what you have mentioned but I do wear this balaclava from REI in cooler weather. What's nice about it is it is stretchy enough that I can pull the portion down below my chin if things start fogging up.

That's a huge swing of temperature, not really easy to dress for it. We had similar weather here today and I just chose to wait till it was in the 50's. So, if I had to do this. . . I'd go with knee warmers as you'll suffer in tights when it gets above 50. The nice thing is you probably won't need to pocket those since they should still be comfortable near 60. Wool socks and shoe covers and probably pocket the covers at some point. A shirt for a base layer under your jersey, and a wind blocking jacket. Maybe wear a shirt you wouldn't mind tossing and just get rid of it once the temps get above 50. I personally don't pull out the under armor cold gear until sub 30. I'd also bring two pairs of gloves and pocket the winter gloves as it warms up (I really really hate cold hands). You'll also need a good hat under the helmet. A good hat and pair of gloves will keep you warm until the temps start going up. Again, you'll have to pocket the hat at some point.

I think it also depends on the wind, sun, and how quick the temps will rise. If there are low winds and sunny, I'd probably leave the winter gloves and covers at home. Well not the gloves. . . cause I really hate cold hands.

Balaclava at 34 degrees? You must be a Floridian.
2017-04-03 9:58 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Originally posted by ziggie204

Originally posted by dandr614

That's a huge swing of temperature, not really easy to dress for it. We had similar weather here today and I just chose to wait till it was in the 50's. So, if I had to do this. . . I'd go with knee warmers as you'll suffer in tights when it gets above 50. The nice thing is you probably won't need to pocket those since they should still be comfortable near 60. Wool socks and shoe covers and probably pocket the covers at some point. A shirt for a base layer under your jersey, and a wind blocking jacket. Maybe wear a shirt you wouldn't mind tossing and just get rid of it once the temps get above 50. I personally don't pull out the under armor cold gear until sub 30. I'd also bring two pairs of gloves and pocket the winter gloves as it warms up (I really really hate cold hands). You'll also need a good hat under the helmet. A good hat and pair of gloves will keep you warm until the temps start going up. Again, you'll have to pocket the hat at some point.

I think it also depends on the wind, sun, and how quick the temps will rise. If there are low winds and sunny, I'd probably leave the winter gloves and covers at home. Well not the gloves. . . cause I really hate cold hands.

Close enough, Georgia
2017-04-03 12:12 PM
in reply to: dandr614

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I'm originally from SoCal, then lived 11 years in Central CA where it rarely gets below freezing but I have lived in the Kansas City area the last 13 years.

For a ride that will get to 60+ degrees you will not want to have all that extra stuff. For me, feet and hands are the most sensitive to the cold weather. Feet number 1. So for 34 degrees I would wear shoe covers to block that breeze from hitting the toes. Either that, or double up on socks. When it warms up it won't matter much having an extra layer/cover on the feet. Full fingered gloves for sure. Again, keeping them on won't make a big difference when it warms up. Plus as a triathlete you should be used to riding without gloves so those you can store in your bike jersey pocket. I would avoid baggy jackets & such but maybe the added wind resistance will be good for you training wise.

For that stated temps I would wear a long sleeve base layer under the bike jersey and that's it! It will be chilly at first but within half an hour you'll be good. If you have cycling leg warmers wear those. if you don't but have long running tights wear those under your bike shorts. When it warms up, you won't be bothered too much buy having legs covered.

Headgear wise I would wear a skull cap under the bike helmet that covers the ears. At 34 you won't need to cover the face, that's overkill but I know guys that still do. It's small enough wear you can tuck it in your jersey but this Southern Cal native has gone on rides as low as 32 F without feeling cold in the face as long as the ears are covered.

When it's 60+ you'll be glad you don't have all this extra stuff.

My $0.02 worth.

2017-04-10 8:01 PM
in reply to: reecealan

Download the "What to wear cycling" app on your phone. You tell it if you prefer to be on the cooler or warmer side, you can set conditions or it will go get the present conditions wherever you are. It never fails me!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me dress for this bike ride Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Fit Stack help

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 1236 Posts: 8

2017-01-27 8:29 AM Hunting Triathlete

which bike to ride

Started by Stuartap
Views: 1326 Posts: 18

2016-12-05 5:33 PM dandr614

Help me find the zen of bike burn!