General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need to choose first full IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-04 3:52 AM

Subject: Need to choose first full IM
Hi, new member here!

Brief histroy: 3 half IM's (PB 5:24), age: 32, been in triathlon for 1.5 years (runner for 4.5 years).
Now I'm motivated to fly overseas and break into IM distance, this coming September.
Doing very little for the past 2 months (since my last half), and would like to sign up for an IM to commit to training (goal <12hrs).

Which race in September?
I'm considering both IM Italy Emilia-Romagna, and Challenge Alemre-Amsterdam. Both are still open (guess I'm lucky).

Here's how I view both:
IM Italy: (+) Nice route (+) Big race (+) Better weather (-) Alone (-) Swim in sea (-) Medical report required (-) ~4 hrs from airport (-) First year
Challenge Almere: (+) Friends (+) Pancake flat (+) Long history (+) Near AMS airport (+) Small field (--) Windy (-) Possibly rainy (-) Swim in lake with growth

I was on the verge of registering for the Challenge, but the wind and weather horror stories might push me to go to the IM alone.

So, which one? Your input is welcomed! Thanks.

2017-04-06 11:32 AM
in reply to: RytBehindU

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Need to choose first full IM
Italy sound nice. Can drink some good wine. Maybe between now and then you'll connect to some people doing the race so you won't be "alone". And wine. If I had the $$$ I'd go to Italy for sure. And wine. Food will probably be good too to go with the wine of course.
2017-04-06 6:11 PM
in reply to: RytBehindU

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Haven't done full IM or a tri in Europe so not sure I can speak to course issues, but train travel is super-convenient in Europe (but maybe you're European so you know this!), so airport distance shouldn't be a serious issue. Most airports have an attached train station where you can get onto the rail network quickly. There are even special cars for bikes, and on many trains you could sit and "babysit" the bike the whole way. Or just rent a car. Medical checkup is probably just a formality--that was required in China, too. Though I know it can be a big expense if not coming from somewhere with socialized medicine (or not having a doctor friend who can take care of the paperwork for you). First-year event is always a bit of a risk, but IM events tend to be solid on the basics like safety and aid stations. I'd only have concerns (some, not overwhelming) in a developing country. But IM Vietnam 70.3 was okay--if they can manage that, they can manage Italy!

Course-wise, Italy sounds nicer. But only you know your comfort level with ocean swimming. I understand it is a different feel from lakes/pools and hard to really prepare for if you live far from the ocean.

Agree about food and weather. I've been to Amsterdam maybe six times for usually 2-3 days each (passing through en route to visit relatives or travel elsewhere, plus one week of bike touring in the area), and I can recall only 2 or 3 really nice days mid-summer. The rest were uniformly cold, rainy, and blustery. Personally, I'd go for Italy in a heartbeat! I think September you will have more risk of blustery weather. Italy should be nice--maybe a little hot depending on what you're used to.
2017-04-06 8:47 PM
in reply to: #5217568

New user
I agree with Reece
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need to choose first full IM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Multiple Full IM Events in a Year

Started by kalish
Views: 1356 Posts: 16

2017-01-24 11:16 AM kalish