Other Resources The Political Joe » United Ariline Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2017-04-11 8:47 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: United Ariline
United Airlines - "Fly the friendly skies....but when we tell you get your asz off our plane, you'd better move!"

My son is in law school and he and his classmates were discussing this last night. He pointed out they actually didn't oversell the seats, the seats were for crew trying to get to a different airport. Which makes it even more interesting, because that's not accounted for in the contract for the ticket which includes a provision for overbooking. Also, they talk about not being allowed to board when overbooked, but he had already boarded.

The first thing I thought was who decided $800 was the maximum liability for United? Had they offered $1,000 or $1,500 or $2k they'd of had takers. Heck, for $1,000 I'd get a $40 rental car and drive the 300 miles from Chicago to Louisville.

2017-04-11 8:51 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: United Ariline

Of the dozens and dozens of flights we ended up taking, to travel  to triathlons with bikes, I can say, without question, United was the biggest PITA.  I hate that airline.  I avoid it at all costs.

2017-04-11 10:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas
Here's the true story. I work for United. First off, when you board a United Express flight, you are not flying an aircraft that is operated, crewed or maintained by United Airlines. They are all contracted to operate the routes that United owns. I don't know the specific carrier used in this debacle, but we use Skywest, GoJet, Chattaqua, Republic and many other to move the bulk of our domestic passenger traffic throughout our system. The airlines save tons of money because regional carriers are training grounds for pilots. These guys typically start around 18K a year; compare that to a senior United captain making over 200K. Maintenance, ramp and even the gate agents can be contracted out by each of these particular carriers to the lowest bidder. However, being that this occurred in Chicago, I am almost 100 percent sure that United Airlines was staffing the operational needs of this flight. Unfortunately, Chicago does mean United employees and not ex-Continental like you would find along the old Continental hub/route structure. They are ruder and exponentially less competent than their ex-Con counterparts, systemwide. I sound a tad bitter to have been caught up in a merger this late in my career don't I?

Anyways, they operate these Express flights at capacity damned near systemwide and in most cases they do oversell and deny boarding quite often. Make that all the time if the truth be told. Even by offering these passengers 1K compensation each to get the deadheading crew downline, they can still make a profit, thus it has become an acceptable part of the United business model. This has also become the norm for all the other carriers that are flying their pax on subcontracted airlines too, we aren't the only boogeyman in the skies! When I travel with my family for a vacation that includes non-refundable lodging or say, a cruise, we buy tickets, on Southwest. Even though it may cost me more to fly WN than it would for me to buy positive space discounted airfare on UA, I pay the extra money. I avoid the overselling on the barbiejet carriers, the weight restrictions during summer months and I don't have to deal with contract employees who really don't give a chit whether I get to where Im going or not. Ive actually had this very conversation with our new CEO Oscar Munoz. It did appear that for a brief period last year, we were buying more 737 aircraft to get away from subcontracting baribiejet traffic, but sadly, the lure of bigger profits has led upper mgmt and the board of directors to take us back down the rabbit hole. I hope this event fiscally destroys United Airlines for a quarter or two. We deserve it.

Edited by mdg2003 2017-04-11 10:14 AM
2017-04-11 10:36 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Tejas
I should also explain the deadheading crew thing. Apparently this crew was late to the gate, reasons unexplained why to date. Probably a late inbound connection. That is why the plane was already boarded and the scene occurred inside the plane and not in the gate area. Had it occurred in the boarding lobby, the visuals would have been manageable. Everyone in the area would have just seen one guy throwing a fit and yelling at the gate agents. Everyone would have just assumed, " Hey, another drunk a-hole or guy just being a jerk." Again, manageable from a PR point of view. This is also part of the United business model and how the scenario is supposed to play out when it happens. Getting deadheading crews downline is critical because they were going to Louisville to operate another flight. Most likely they were taking over the airplane and bringing it back to ORD, or replacing a crew that is timed out. Many reasons to deadhead crews. Pulling 4 people off one flight, paying them 1K bucks and guaranteeing them a seat the next day is cheaper for the company than cancelling an entire flight and stranding an aircraft at an out station like Louisville. Losing that one aircraft creates a rippling domino effect throughout the system. This is why bad weather and cancellations at one hub, due to weather, can disrupt operations worldwide for major carriers.

When the company puts an employee on a positive space business ticket, they have priority over a paying passenger. It is that important for the operation. I've actually been on a flight to SFO for training and the plane encountered a weight restriction situation. Operating these barbiejets at the limits of their mission design makes this a pretty common occurrence in hot weather or high altitude stations. We were already boarded and they realized we were 100 lbs over weight. The agent made an announcement offering 400 bucks and guaranteed seating on the next flight out and someone took the money. I went to training before a paying passenger flew.
2017-04-11 11:21 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

I should also explain the deadheading crew thing. Apparently this crew was late to the gate, reasons unexplained why to date. Probably a late inbound connection. That is why the plane was already boarded and the scene occurred inside the plane and not in the gate area. Had it occurred in the boarding lobby, the visuals would have been manageable. Everyone in the area would have just seen one guy throwing a fit and yelling at the gate agents. Everyone would have just assumed, " Hey, another drunk a-hole or guy just being a jerk." Again, manageable from a PR point of view. This is also part of the United business model and how the scenario is supposed to play out when it happens. Getting deadheading crews downline is critical because they were going to Louisville to operate another flight. Most likely they were taking over the airplane and bringing it back to ORD, or replacing a crew that is timed out. Many reasons to deadhead crews. Pulling 4 people off one flight, paying them 1K bucks and guaranteeing them a seat the next day is cheaper for the company than cancelling an entire flight and stranding an aircraft at an out station like Louisville. Losing that one aircraft creates a rippling domino effect throughout the system. This is why bad weather and cancellations at one hub, due to weather, can disrupt operations worldwide for major carriers.

When the company puts an employee on a positive space business ticket, they have priority over a paying passenger. It is that important for the operation. I've actually been on a flight to SFO for training and the plane encountered a weight restriction situation. Operating these barbiejets at the limits of their mission design makes this a pretty common occurrence in hot weather or high altitude stations. We were already boarded and they realized we were 100 lbs over weight. The agent made an announcement offering 400 bucks and guaranteed seating on the next flight out and someone took the money. I went to training before a paying passenger flew.

Thanks for the inside information!

Who decided $800 was/is the maximum they would offer? I used to fly a lot for business and I 'might' have take the $800.....'probably' would have take $1,000 and definitely would have taken $1,500.
2017-04-11 11:36 AM

Master
, California

If they need to move extra crew they should make them work as extra flight attendants for the hop :P

2017-04-11 12:24 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4CizzE-zZo

Edited by spudone 2017-04-11 12:24 PM
2017-04-11 1:20 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by spudone

If they need to move extra crew they should make them work as extra flight attendants for the hop :P

Knowing our government and their regulations that would probably make them ineligible to fly later.

2017-04-11 1:38 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Good insider info Mike.  I've been telling people all day that I'm sure United is fully within their rights on this deal, but unfortunately when it comes to a jury of peers i think United is going to get hosed in the lawsuit. 

I'm so thankful I don't have to deal with airlines much anymore.  I just fly myself, haha

2017-04-11 2:32 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Before seeing the video, I just assumed that old dude was wearing leggings or something.

2017-04-11 2:43 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Hook'em

Before seeing the video, I just assumed that old dude was wearing leggings or something.

lol, the first video I saw had the guy's face obscured, but the way he was screaming I just knew he was a Millennial because they're the only ones who REEEEEEEE like that.  I was sadly mistaken and apologize to all Millennial's who may have been offended by my prejudice.   

2017-04-11 2:48 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
2017-04-11 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by mdg2003  They are ruder and exponentially less competent than their ex-Con counterparts, systemwide. I sound a tad bitter to have been caught up in a merger this late in my career don't I?

For what it's worth, I was a huge Continental fan "back in the day" before 9/11.  I had Gold status and got upgraded nearly every damn time I flew, and the employees were always friendly and customer-oriented.  United has always been a mess.  I fly Southwest almost exclusively now, business and personal. 

2017-04-11 3:17 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pro

"United Airlines CEO, under fire for crisis response, says passenger was ‘belligerent’"

Not so much.

2017-04-11 3:54 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by tuwood

Good insider info Mike.  I've been telling people all day that I'm sure United is fully within their rights on this deal, but unfortunately when it comes to a jury of peers i think United is going to get hosed in the lawsuit. 

I'm so thankful I don't have to deal with airlines much anymore.  I just fly myself, haha

I'm not so sure they are on solid 'legal' grounds. From what I've read the contract for the tickets applies to the flight being oversold to other passengers and does not address being bumped by a flight crew.

Not that it matters.....there won't be a criminal charge....but rest assured there will be a civil case. He will walk away with 20 million.

BTW, a lot of companies contract stuff out specifically to reduce their own liability. Cruise ships have a doctor and nurses but they don't work for the cruise line, they are contactors. If something goes wrong, it's makes it harder to sue the deep pockets of the cruise line.
2017-04-11 4:03 PM

User image

Pro
For future reference... if you ever see me running for the bathroom of an airliner crying that I want to go home... stay clear.

2017-04-11 4:07 PM

Master
, California

Not that it matters.....there won't be a criminal charge....but rest assured there will be a civil case. He will walk away with 20 million.

Heh so will the (soon to be ex) CEO, most likely.

2017-04-11 5:00 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
2017-04-11 5:26 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Heh so will the (soon to be ex) CEO, most likely.

I saw a couple puff pieces on the CEO talking about "how great he is" and all the "great things he's done for United".  "you know, he just had heart replacement surgery last year" (true)
It was a legit news source, but couldn't have been a more obvious PR spin to try and build some United support.

Then even worse, I've seen several postings about the doctors past that wasn't very flattering that just made me mad.  I don't care if the guy was a 7 time felon (he's not), he didn't deserve to be treated like that. 

2017-04-11 5:37 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Legally, I'm pretty sure they can bump anyone from flying for whatever reason. I know it stated that on the back of the old paper tickets. Not just United, but this applies to all airlines. However, this guy can plan on early retirement. He will sue and United will settle to make this go away. Downside... he's going to have to get in line and play the waiting game. They won't settle until after 2025 and conditions set in the settlement will be non-disclosure clausage (yes, I made that word up) and he won't be allowed to discuss anything with the press. It will be settled out and we won't ever hear of this once the media hoopla dies down.

Don't worry about Oscar. He's brilliant when it comes to PR, specially when it pertains to him. He's in full damage control and has issued several statements to us on this subject today alone . They are already conducting studies to figure out how to never allow this to happen again and still maintain profitability. The answer is simple and every single person who works here (below the manager level) can solve this one if they would just ask us and then work on the logistics of making that solution happen. Unfortunately this would require actual managerial problem solving skills at VP and higher levels. Problem solving is not a highly sought after trait/skill in airline management personnel.
2017-04-14 11:36 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Sad to report that our customers are acting like children as a result of the fiasco last week. I've spoken with our local gate agents and thru flight crews. A good percentage of our customers are actively bating and trying to get into confrontations with agents and crew members. Lots of unreasonable demands are being made for no apparent reason and everyone is asking for some form of compensation at the slightest hint of any inconvenience. One of our local guys had a customer say, "please don't hit me or kick me off the flight, but do have the correct time?"

The company has pretty much opened the checkbook and told the agents and crew to do what it takes to placate our customers. Even the ones that are being unreasonable for no good reason. Tons of work being done to un**** this pig and make sure it never happens again. Sadly, there will be another incident and most likely it will be caused by one of these passengers goading agents or crew until sufficient conflict has been stirred to make a damning one sided video.

2017-04-14 11:59 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by tuwood

Knowing our government and their regulations that would probably make them ineligible to fly later.

You are correct. It would count towards duty time. Plus, they do require them to be seated before take off and landing. Barbie jets do not have 4 extra jump seats installed. Even our 737s only have extra seating for two in the back and one in the cockpit.
2017-04-14 12:06 PM

Master
, California

Heh I stumbled across this when I was looking to see if United had been down this road before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Breaks_Guitars

But IMO, the real story is that there has been too much consolidation of carriers.  Customers don't have enough alternate choices.

2017-04-14 12:54 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mdg2003 Sad to report that our customers are acting like children as a result of the fiasco last week. I've spoken with our local gate agents and thru flight crews. A good percentage of our customers are actively bating and trying to get into confrontations with agents and crew members. Lots of unreasonable demands are being made for no apparent reason and everyone is asking for some form of compensation at the slightest hint of any inconvenience. One of our local guys had a customer say, "please don't hit me or kick me off the flight, but do have the correct time?" The company has pretty much opened the checkbook and told the agents and crew to do what it takes to placate our customers. Even the ones that are being unreasonable for no good reason. Tons of work being done to un**** this pig and make sure it never happens again. Sadly, there will be another incident and most likely it will be caused by one of these passengers goading agents or crew until sufficient conflict has been stirred to make a damning one sided video.

Now is a good time to fly your bike somewhere.  At the counter when they ask for the 200.00 bike fee get indignant and say you were told on the phone there was no charge for a bike.  LMAO

2017-04-14 1:05 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Heh I stumbled across this when I was looking to see if United had been down this road before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Breaks_Guitars

But IMO, the real story is that there has been too much consolidation of carriers.  Customers don't have enough alternate choices.

Lots of stuff gets broken. One of the most vivid memories happened back in the late 80s when we were Continental and at that time, a pretty crappy airline! The rampers unloaded this long box, about 15' long, from one of the bins of an inbound Mexico flight. They proceeded put the box on top of the bag cart because it was so long. Fast forward, ramper takes off to deliver bags to baggage claim and the long box comes sliding off the top of the cart. Inside was a 12'+ black marlin that was being delivered from taxidermy shop in Mexico. The marlin shoots out of the box, breaks in two pieces and skids into an oncoming fuel truck, only to get crushed! I watched the guys pick up the pieces, stuff them back into the box and proceed to the bag belt with the carnage. I would have loved to have been there to see the exchange the customer had with the baggage claim agent.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » United Ariline Rss Feed  

of 3