General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plan question - trading RPE zones for HR zones Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-13 10:23 AM

Subject: Training plan question - trading RPE zones for HR zones
I'm training for my first sprint triathlon, which is happening in one month. I've been following this training plan - http://www.triathlete.com/2017/02/training/8-week-sprint-triathlon-...

I chose that plan because it was the right length (I had two months to prepare), and I liked the amount of detail it provided (even though I would like even more detail).

I'm not a total beginner in endurance sports. I trained for and competed in a 10K running race earlier this year, and I've done other running races in the past. For my recent 10K, I followed a basic Hal Higdon training plan, and I only ran and did cycling to cross train (no swimming).

I've spent most of the first month of my current training plan focusing on swimming, as I'm a total newb. I'm making progress with my forward crawl, but I have a long way to go. I've also been doing most of the runs and rides in the training plan, however, since I wasn't a beginner, I did somewhat longer and harder workouts.

This week I decided to follow my training plan more closely. However, it bases everything off of RPE. RPE is okay for what it is, but I'm a bigger fan of more exact training metrics. So, instead of following this training plan to the letter, I've decided to trade the RPE zones in the plan with heart rate zones for the bike, and power zones for the run (I use a Stryd running power meter, but I don't have a power meter on my bike).

Is this a workable plan for my final month? Will the RPE zones in the bike workouts translate to HR zones? Do I perhaps need to up them a bit? For context, I've been riding my road bike pretty consistently for around six months.

To get my bike HR zones figured out, I tested them this morning on a stationary bike at the gym using the test in this article - http://www.bicycling.com/training/fitness/how-to-train-with-a-heart...

I'm less concerned about the power zones translating to the RPE zones in the plan. I'm a much more experienced runner, so I feel more confident in my ability there. For my swim training, the RPE zones are good enough for my needs.

The training zones for the bike are my main concern.

Thanks!

2017-04-14 10:29 PM
in reply to: hiddendriveways

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Training plan question - trading RPE zones for HR zones
Ok, so this is your first triathlon, so chances are you are not going to win it, especially if you are new to swimming and have only been biking steady for about 6 months. So this is a fun, introduction to the sport where if you followed your training plan you will do fine. So no worries there.

Also, two months of training will not really get you into shape for anything other than base fitness to complete the race with a smile.

So taking that into consideration, your training workouts are really just in the comfortable, uncomfortably hard and hard hard categories. Some workouts included all of this such as in interval workouts etc.

Usual heart rate testing is warmup for 10 minutes, go hardest sustainable pace (run or bike) for 30 minutes, collect heart rate data on last 20 minutes + max HR to develop HR zones. For me that is 175 run 165 bike.

Swim is usually just build base distance then work on speed by swimming faster by time in intervals.

I know you are detail, data oriented, but some of this is just go do it, get a feel for where you need to be for a given workout and get it done. You do have to listen to your body for need to recover and HR can help you with that. A lot of this comes with years of experience, not all of it can be learned without actually playing with the HR zones and seeing how long it takes you to recover etc.

Welcome to the sport, enjoy your race, remember that it takes years to get good at Triathlon, more for longer distances.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plan question - trading RPE zones for HR zones Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jorge's Plan Cycling Zone Calculator question

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1396 Posts: 9

2017-03-20 12:24 PM kloofyroland

Help...Started Zone 2 Training...have to walk

Started by streetsnake
Views: 6713 Posts: 11

2017-02-16 12:59 PM jmhpsu93

HR Zone Question

Started by scottficek
Views: 980 Posts: 7

2016-12-12 8:37 PM brigby1

HR Zones and LTHR

Started by otkeshelashvili
Views: 1217 Posts: 5

2016-11-21 9:04 AM Donto

Training Zones

Started by manimal
Views: 1158 Posts: 8

2016-05-25 7:36 PM manimal
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2016
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Is low resting heart rate concerning? How does it affect heart rate zones?