General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cycling anomaly? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-17 10:38 AM

Subject: cycling anomaly?
Hi all,
I have noticed a strange trend when cycle training involving HR spikes.
This happens when I do intervals of lower cadence/big gear. What happens is that if I stay seated on the trainer, my HR stays pretty constant. If I stand up and ride with hands in the hoods, my HR spikes with the same power. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Here is an example of last weekend's results:

Seated: Ave HR
3 minute intervals 50-52 cadence
230 watts
HR 138

Standing:
3 minute intervals-same cadence
230 watts
HR 150

It doesn't seem harder standing, but my heart must think it is. Thoughts anyone?

2017-04-17 5:33 PM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: cycling anomaly?
Not sure why but mine does the same thing. Maybe that position is less efficient to generate the same watts, so cardio-wise it is harder?
2017-04-17 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

Well, possibly because if you are seated, your legs are just pedaling, not supporting all of your bodyweight??
Once you stand up on the pedals, your legs are now carrying all your weight, needing more oxygen for the muscles which are doing a bit more work, in turn forcing the heart to pump a bit more. Dunno if this is factual, but it might make sense...
2017-04-17 7:54 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

how much of your cycling time is spent standing? how much sitting?  one is probably more efficient than the other, and part of the reason is probably that one is practiced more than the other.  Alberto contador used to practice standing while riding for 40 minutes at a time to prepare for his long attacks on the mountains.

generally speaking standing can produce more torque and is less efficient than sitting.

2017-04-18 2:07 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

Thanks everyone. Nice to know I might not be the only one that has seen this. My standing time is pretty limited. Couple minutes at a time.
2017-04-18 5:38 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by triosaurus

Well, possibly because if you are seated, your legs are just pedaling, not supporting all of your bodyweight??
Once you stand up on the pedals, your legs are now carrying all your weight, needing more oxygen for the muscles which are doing a bit more work, in turn forcing the heart to pump a bit more. Dunno if this is factual, but it might make sense...

Yup, you recruit more muscle groups standing. You generate more power standing which means your heart is working harder.

2017-04-18 6:44 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by kloofyroland

Originally posted by triosaurus

Yup, you recruit more muscle groups standing. You generate more power standing which means your heart is working harder.

I tend to agree with you (a lot ), but in this case he's producing the exact same power (230 W).

I'm guessing the heart has to work harder to get blood to a standing body v. one that's sitting......but, that's pure speculation on my part.
2017-04-18 9:19 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Pretty normal. Standing is hard. I've done a few workout videos that love to punish you with a lot of standing sets. Even thought the power isn't too crazy, the effort is. You're using a lot more muscles standing on a bike than just peddling on a bike. All the little stabilizer muscles are going off and also you're supporting your weight instead of your bike seat and aero bars doing most of the work for you. Not a fan of these but I know they help build strong muscles. Still....I almost never do them.
2017-04-19 12:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My coach often has me do intervals (usually in big gear) alternating sitting and standing. Unless I make an effort to slow cadence to keep a steady power, power is always higher when standing; so is heart rate. I would assume that's because standing engages more muscles.

The idea of 40 minutes of standing make me want to puke! I know when I started tri, the club coach advised us not to stand unless the hill was very short and steep--maybe this has to do with not wanting to spike heart rate too severely for too long, which would impact one's run? Guessing tactics are somewhat different for a triathlon (and maybe also for different distances) than a cycling race.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-04-19 12:22 AM
2017-04-19 3:15 AM

Well mates its simple physics from your primary school years..although you can follow up with this nice experiment how your body works..not just when training.
Receptors of blood pressure is in the carotis artery in the neck. As blood pressure must be kept on a certain level when you lift your upper body and head up the pressure in the carotis falls. Because the liquid column is higher a bit. The receptors make their job and calls for all participants in the system including the heart to increase the pressure cause the head will not get enough blood.
And that’s it.
(I know its much complicated but the point is this)
2017-04-19 4:36 AM
in reply to: longlanyard

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by longlanyard Well mates its simple physics from your primary school years..although you can follow up with this nice experiment how your body works..not just when training. Receptors of blood pressure is in the carotis artery in the neck. As blood pressure must be kept on a certain level when you lift your upper body and head up the pressure in the carotis falls. Because the liquid column is higher a bit. The receptors make their job and calls for all participants in the system including the heart to increase the pressure cause the head will not get enough blood. And that’s it. (I know its much complicated but the point is this)

I was going to say something about changes in blood pressre due to the elevation change (and also the release pressure on your sit bones), and would have come up with something like this  ^^^.  Well, without the medical terms.  

2017-04-19 7:49 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Master
Northern IL

It might do some (though hands are still attached to the bars), but also remember that by simply standing, cycling is now a bodyweight activity since what the saddle was holding up now has to be supported somewhere else, hence the more recruitment above. With the loss of a contact point, the motion also becomes a bit more complicated with the additional freedom of motion allowed. The Contador example would lend towards both improved fitness in that position and improved timing & coordination for better efficiency.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cycling anomaly? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

indoor spin cycle

Started by Burchib
Views: 592 Posts: 1

2016-09-30 10:51 AM Burchib

Where to find good cycling routes?

Started by cfmonk
Views: 1308 Posts: 7

2016-10-13 1:49 PM chichitao

Stationary bike vs Road cycling Pages: 1 2

Started by kmariesmyth
Views: 5604 Posts: 27

2018-01-12 8:49 AM audiojan

cycling strategy Pages: 1 2

Started by Burchib
Views: 2556 Posts: 27

2016-05-20 12:38 PM mcmanusclan5

Cycle training and periodic time trials

Started by Dorm57
Views: 708 Posts: 3

2016-04-26 9:17 AM marcag
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 3
If anyone can see the front of your shorts, you're doing it wrong.

date : August 31, 2016
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Member Case Study: Calf hurts only after cycling workout
date : June 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Recovery foods and fluids for cycling and triathlon