General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Course Boundry Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-18 9:26 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Race Course Boundry
Ran a half a few weeks ago and got to thinking during the race. While running on the road surface around a corner, there was a grass strip, a sidewalk and then another 50 or so feet of grass before the tree line. Everyone was running in the road, while running over on the grass would have been the shortest, most direct route. My question then is there an assumption that the road is the "course" and the curb is a boundry? If not, why do people not cut the corner and take of the distance? Is it group think where everyone stays in the road?

Am I the weird one who thinks of things like this during a race?

2017-04-18 9:33 AM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Race Course Boundry

I once did a race (running) where the course went two laps around a lake. There was only one fairly short section where there was actually a prescribed "course", the rest was stated as "the shortest distance you can run without stepping on the perimeter road or going into the water". So even though there was a paved path that wandered around the lake, it was expressly stated that you were not required to stay on that path.

On most courses, however, there is an unstated rule that the "race course" would be on the roadway or path. It might be an unwritten rule, but I think it's one of those generally accepted ethical things. If some one were to venture off that path, sure, they could state that "no one said I couldn't". And while they may be right by the "letter of the law", they'd be judged by the court of public opinion to be an opportunist with nothing but self-interest in mind.

2017-04-18 2:34 PM

User image

IDK if the curb is the boundary for say running on grass strip next to the road. But what you were mulling over would be cutting distance off the course right? Not just taking the shortest distance of "the course"
2017-04-18 3:17 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

IDK if the curb is the boundary for say running on grass strip next to the road. But what you were mulling over would be cutting distance off the course right? Not just taking the shortest distance of "the course"

I guess that is my question. I would look at it as the shortest distance, but I think some would construe it as cutting distance. I was on a corner where i started thinking about it and was thinking of the tangent. I think we all accept the road as the "course" but I have never seen anything to say that is the case. Not looking to cheat, just a curious thought.
2017-04-18 3:41 PM

User image

I get what you were thinking about. Also I think the rule stating following the prescribed course. Then looking at course maps shows what the "official" course is. That I guess would take using the shortest line out of play.
2017-04-18 4:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Dunno--wouldn't do it if it could be construed as cutting the course, but I have done races where people do run on the sidewalk or the grass instead of the road (when everything is just parallel--no turns). If you'd ever done any racing in the tropics you would understand that the goal of this is to get oneself into very limited shade!

I have actually gone up into grass strip and run when everyone else was in the road--again, parallel, for a couple of miles, in a race in North America, and nobody stopped me. In my case it was due to really nasty cramps in my shins; it felt just enough better on the grass that I could keep running rather than slow to a walk. I did go back into the road to make the turn, though (out and back section) in order to not cut the course.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-04-18 5:06 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Course Boundry Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Still on fence with bike choice for this course

Started by TJHammer
Views: 805 Posts: 6

2016-08-17 6:54 AM audiojan

Hilly Course Cassette Pages: 1 2

Started by nc452010
Views: 2409 Posts: 28

2016-08-01 1:30 PM JohnnyKay