General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oly plan modification Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-20 5:48 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Oly plan modification
I am trying to make a comeback after long hiatus and going back to newbie training plans. In other words... I am not new to training but my fitness is more or less shot.

Most training plans place emphasis on rest day before long run? Is there a reason for it? It is my weakest event as well so it would make sense. However I only have time to take bike out on weekends otherwise I am tied to trainer/spinner. How would folks recommend that I place my long run and rest day? In middle of the week? Or can I place long bike on Sat and long run on Sunday so I can do my long bike and long run on the weekend (in beautiful weather).

Again... this is looking at a beginner Oly run focus plan or 3x balanced plan so "long" isn't really a crushing distance but I don't want to burn my legs out and ruin the entire training week.

Any thoughts?

2017-04-20 6:54 PM
in reply to: ironbaby

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Oly plan modification
I would arrange it however it works best for you. I'd guess that the majority of triathletes with typical full-time job schedules do both long run and ride on the weekends. Theoretically, it might be better to separate them by a few days, but particularly with longer-distance training, it can be really hard to squeeze in a quality long run/ride before or after work. Since the bigger concern with injury is usually from running, and you are just getting back into shape, I would suggest, if you do both sessions on the weekend, doing the longer run on Saturday morning, and the long ride on Sunday, with Friday and Monday being relatively easy sessions, rest days, or swim-only days.
2017-04-20 7:23 PM
in reply to: #5218782

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Oly plan modification
Sound advice. Thanks HR.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oly plan modification Rss Feed