General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Interesting Observation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-23 11:01 AM

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: Interesting Observation
When I first dabbled with the idea of a triathlon I would test the waters so to speak by running to my neighborhood pool swim some laps then run back. The run back felt like I was dragging my own corpse. It just sucked. I didn't want to try again. I finally got the motivation to sign up for one several years later and did some transition runs. Once again, I felt drained immediately. My chest felt tight and my breathing was a mess. I eventually forced myself to start with a much slower pace just to complete the bricks but it still hurt. I stuck with it and even started to enjoy it some. I did a sprint then an international the following year and found myself looking forward to long rides and bricks. It was like stretching my wings, enjoying miles through nature, at least when the sun wasn't trying to kill me. I pretty much quit exercising on any kind of schedule and just did occasional runs and rides on impulse since my last race. 6 months of this and I just got a random itch to try another transition run and it felt good. No tightness in my chest and I still felt light on my feet while maintaining my usual pace without the bike. What gives? Is it really like learning to run all over again? Do the effects really last that long? and why do I feel I created a long term adaption to running after swimming and biking? I just remember how painful my first bricks were and how slow I'd go just to survive a mile and now it's like a different person. I often wonder if that adaption in addition to fear of swimming keep many people from getting into the sport or maybe I was just untalented but extra motivated from the beginning.

2017-04-25 9:47 AM
in reply to: runtim23

Subject: RE: Interesting Observation
I just completed my first triathlon over the weekend in Lake Perris, CA. Sprint distance of 1/2 mile swim, 16 mile bike ride and 5k run. I had a great time completing the event. I would say I have to work on extending my workouts to more closely simulate the actual time competing. My workouts were rarely more than 1 hour, so when I hit the 2 hour mark, I was nearly dead. Still, i am looking forward to my next competition.
2017-04-25 1:05 PM
in reply to: runtim23

Subject: RE: Interesting Observation
Well....for me...I wasn't a runner.
I really wasn't anything.
I was losing a lot of weight.
I could swim a long ways...if I didn't get bored.
I could ride forever.
But I couldn't run at all.

The first time I tried (after many weeks of doing like 45 minutes on an elliptical and 15-20 on a treadmill)....I planned a course that was 2 miles. It actually would have been 3. Didn't matter anyway. I got maybe 600 meters before I was walking. I walked another 1000 meters maybe and went back home.

A combination of boredom and feeling physically beaten.

Worst part is, I had already signed up for a spint-ish length tri.

Went back to the gym....just kept doing what I was doing. The weather got nicer. A couple weeks later, I gave it a go. Went those 3 miles no problem.

From that point forward, I figured 90% of it was mindset. I enjoyed it. If I enjoy it, I can do it....within reason. The only thing that's a "challenge" is coming off the bike and running. And that's mainly just to get into the groove/pace I want to be. Hard to do when your legs feel simultaneously like they are made of lead, yet filled with helium.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Interesting Observation Rss Feed