General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trisuit / Wetsuit options for swimmers. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-24 10:07 AM

User image

Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Trisuit / Wetsuit options for swimmers.
Hi Everyone, and thanks taking the time to answer...

So, I've now completely read enough reviews on the internet that I've muddied the waters, and am more confused now than when I started my research...

I guess I'll start off with the questions:

1) I'm a decent swimmer (was a swimmer in college - ended in 2000), are there any recommendations on wetsuits for swimmers? Ideally I'd like to have flexibility in the shoulders, and something that doesn't make me feel unusually high in the water (wetsuit doesn't have to be a full length one, I'm actually ok with the cold water when swimming).

2) For the races that will not allow wetsuits (I live in Phoenix, Arizona), I've read reviews where the pockets turn into a parachute causing drag while swimming... is it really that big of an issue? Short of trying on every trisuit at the triathlon shops... are there some that are known to be a good fit for a longer torso and wider shoulders?

About me and my races:

I most certainly don't expect to win anything, I'm happy being the middle of the pack guy that has fun racing to improve his times. I'm fairly new to triathlons (done a handful of sprints and an Olympic). I will be doing the Ironman 70.3 Arizona in October. On land, I am not fast. I cycle at maybe 18mph (don't have a tri-bike, that may be an upgrade down the road), and run a 9-10 min mile.

I don't know if that's enough information, or too much. I'm just really looking for thoughts and advice on a comfortable suit that performs well. They say experience is the best teacher, and since I have very little experience, I figured it best to ask you all.

Thanks again.

Aaron

2017-04-27 7:16 AM
in reply to: alehr2

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Trisuit / Wetsuit options for swimmers.
HUUB has 3:5 suits and 4:4 suits... most want the 5mm in the legs to aid body position... you would like the 4.4
Roka has good suits too, a couple of ex Stanford swimmers run that company.

Take the time to try on lots of wetsuits, fit is king. A mid range suit that fits well is better than a top line one that's not the optimal size. Fina is now allowing wetsuits in open water.

Lots of tri suits are crap for swimming. Triathletes don't have great feel in the water and don't realize how much drag is being created. Try getting a ZeroD or Kiwami suit.
2017-04-27 11:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have a mid-range full suit from ProMotion; also a sleeveless shortie from the same company that I use for borderline water temps when I want warmth and ease of on/off without a ton of extra buoyancy. (But I think the shortie model has been discontinued.) Agree with Bo--what you are looking for is probably a suit with different thicknesses in the core (thicker for warmth) and shoulders (so you have a freer range of motion, and not a lot of unneeded extra buoyancy), or possibly just a thinner suit if you are not cold-blooded. You could also consider a sleeveless model. Prior to the ProMotion suit, I had a low-end TYR suit, and it was actually TOO buoyant. I'm not super-fast like Bo, but am a confident swimmer, usually FOP in my age group, and my legs don't sink when I swim. That suit was too restrictive at the shoulders (I have a really small frame, so I'm thinking it was a matter of material that was too thick/not flexible enough, rather than a fit issue), and had my legs riding so high it was making my back cramp!

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-04-27 11:57 PM
2017-04-30 7:14 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
You might be surprised by just how many races are wetsuit legal despite being in AZ. The reality is they can send that temperature gauge pretty far down to get the right spot and temp.

As a prior swimmer, I would highly recommend a sleeveless suit. That way you won't have to worry shoulder restriction which I know swimmers tend to get irritated by. As an added benefit a lot of sleeveless suits use less rubber so you will have less lift. Some of the lower tiers opt for 4mm or even less. The most important thing with a wetsuit is that it fits, but given that I am suggesting a sleeveless for you that isn't as much of a concern as sleeveless suits are much more forgiving in terms of sizing.

BlueSeventy makes a lot of great suits and has been in the business for a long time.

You can always save 25% on BlueSeventy here: http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/08/blue-seventy-wetsuits-coupon-c...
2017-05-02 11:22 AM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Oviedo, Florida
I'm from a warm climate as well and got a Neosport sleeveless 5/3. Fits well and has worked out great for the Central Florida climate. It's not a shorty, but the legs don't go all the way down to the ankles. They hit mid calf which makes it really easy to strip.

I picked it up online last year and I think I got it for around 100 bucks.
2017-05-02 6:18 PM

User image

Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri

BlueSeventy makes a lot of great suits and has been in the business for a long time.

You can always save 25% on BlueSeventy here: http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/08/blue-seventy-wetsuits-coupon-c...

Used your coupon code earlier in the year to get a new tri top, thank you. I'm in the market now for a wetsuit. | went to the BlueSeventy website, and there's pretty much nothing in stock. Most models are completely sold out, and the few that aren't are only available in a size XS.

2017-05-02 8:17 PM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Boo I apologize they must be having a decent selling season.
2017-05-03 6:26 AM

User image

Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri

Boo I apologize they must be having a decent selling season.

I'm hoping they were just bum rushed for IMT and will be reloaded soon. Some retailers have inventory in stock, but they don't take the "Tom G double-top-secret, hook-a-brother-up discount code."
2017-05-03 2:34 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

As far as shoulder flexibility, Roka is promoting their new 'Arms up' construction that reduces restriction.  I have last year's model prior to the design change and I've been happy with it so far.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trisuit / Wetsuit options for swimmers. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Noob Wetsuit Question

Started by Tterrag8907
Views: 947 Posts: 1

2017-01-31 9:23 AM Tterrag8907

2XU Propel Wetsuit

Started by VegQC
Views: 1543 Posts: 1

2016-08-09 5:00 PM VegQC

wetsuit for the big & tall

Started by danzbarr
Views: 1224 Posts: 1