General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for 2nd Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-26 8:14 PM

Subject: Training for 2nd Sprint Tri
I am looking for advice on which program to utilize to train for my 2nd Sprint Tri. My first Sprint Tri was at the Chicago Tri at the end of August 2016 and I trained with the Sprint - 2X Balanced 16 week program and finished in 1:55:08. I have been training ever since following the winter maintenance programs and feel I have made good gains over the winter. I am looking to improve on my time from last year and was looking at the Beginner Sprint 12 week, the Sprint Basic 12 week HR, or the Intermediate Sprint 12 week HR. Any input as to which would be the best fit for someone with my experience looking to improve on their time for this year would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

2017-04-26 9:52 PM
in reply to: Ofpd0160

User image

Subject: RE: Training for 2nd Sprint Tri
Did you have one obvious weak discipline, or were your ranks in age group roughly the same for all 3?
2017-04-27 2:29 AM

User image

I focus on the sprint and this is my third season.

I found two things that really helped my times. The first was trying to reduce the transition times as much as possible. This meant learning the flying mount and dismount, not wearing any socks throughout, checking out the site before the race and being sure about where to go, etc.

Another thing that really helped was capitalizing on my strengths. I seem to do okay on the swims for my age group, and now also for cycling. So I just go 100% during these two disciplines and don't hold back too much. And then I just try my best for a smooth run- "slow is smooth and smooth is fast" is the mantra that I repeat over and over again during the run.
2017-04-27 12:58 PM
in reply to: gary p

I wish my run time would have been better but I really struggled at the end due to the heat and humidity that day. If it wouldn't have been so hot and humid I think all three would have been right in the middle of the pack.
2017-04-27 1:01 PM
in reply to: Trilogy

Thanks for the advice Trilogy! My swim to bike transition could have definitely been better and I have already made notes to practice the transitions more this year than I did last year.
2017-04-30 9:22 PM

User image

Originally posted by Ofpd0160

Thanks for the advice Trilogy! My swim to bike transition could have definitely been better and I have already made notes to practice the transitions more this year than I did last year.

I would like to make a slight revision to the advice I gave in my last post (go hard on the swim and bike since these are my strengths, and then go for a good, smooth run since this is my weakness). In the race I did just yesterday, I ended up drafting quite a bit on the cycling portion of the race. A friend passed me on his bike early on and I decided to just stick with him. If we kept somewhat to the right to let the motorcycles by and the real athletes pass, it resulted in doing quite a bit of drafting. So in other words, I felt really good when I got off the bike and had the strongest run ever (about three minutes faster for the 5k than normal).

I placed well and am now considering whether that might be the best strategy for me from now on. It also felt good to feel strong throughout the run, rather than experiencing pain mostly and wishing things to be over.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is to experiment with different strategies to find out what works best for you. It seems running is your weak link so maybe you should at least try the two different strategies I discussed.

Good luck!

2017-04-30 9:23 PM
in reply to: Trilogy

User image

Originally posted by Trilogy

Originally posted by Ofpd0160

I would like to make a slight revision to the advice I gave in my last post (go hard on the swim and bike since these are my strengths, and then go for a good, smooth run since this is my weakness). In the race I did just yesterday, I ended up drafting quite a bit on the cycling portion of the race. A friend passed me on his bike early on and I decided to just stick with him. If we kept somewhat to the right to let the motorcycles by and the real athletes pass (the guys going 40kph!), it resulted in doing quite a bit of drafting. So in other words, I felt really good when I got off the bike and had the strongest run ever (about three minutes faster for the 5k than normal).

I placed well and am now considering whether that might be the best strategy for me from now on. It also felt good to feel strong throughout the run, rather than experiencing pain mostly and wishing things to be over.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is to experiment with different strategies to find out what works best for you. It seems running is your weak link so maybe you should at least try the two different strategies I discussed.

Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for 2nd Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training for a modified sprint with a 40km bike

Started by Skip10
Views: 654 Posts: 3

2017-03-06 7:46 AM briderdt

My first sprint tri - Hybrid bike

Started by booniebonnie
Views: 1994 Posts: 12

2016-08-06 12:53 PM booniebonnie

Tri-training plan Run heavy for marathon training?

Started by kctkd
Views: 1674 Posts: 7

2016-06-29 7:18 PM tedjohn

Sprint vs super sprint?

Started by Kat52383
Views: 2086 Posts: 11

2016-05-10 2:29 PM 3mar

13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by Tri Take Me Away
Views: 50903 Posts: 271

2022-01-12 2:33 AM Deneen-Bruss