General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time destination 1/2 IM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-04 8:20 AM

Subject: First time destination 1/2 IM?
Hi all. I am seeking opinions on which 1/2 IM would be good ones to do. 'Fun' course, cool area/community. Totally might be willing to travel within US or internationally (which would be fun)

Thanks
Cindy

2017-05-04 8:59 AM
in reply to: Jabezgal

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: First time destination 1/2 IM?
Cindy,

What time of year are you looking at? do you prefer a destination that has other attractions for your family/support crew? do you prefer hills or flats?

I've done a few destination races, x2 IM, 1/2 IM, numerous marathons and 1/2 marathons and even some cycling vacations as well. Each race was its own different challenge, and worth the extra effort.
2017-05-04 9:16 AM
in reply to: #5219662

I'm honestly up for any time of the year/destination. I love to travel, so anywhere is fun

Honestly my training has been a lacking the last few months. So probably late fall to early spring.

I am also looking for a late summer/early fall Olympic to do.

Cindy
2017-05-04 9:36 AM

User image

Regular
Well, the Mrs and I raced IM Cabo a few years back, nice vacation destination, easy to travel to, plenty of hotels and resorts varying from party central all inclusive to boutique and relaxed atmosphere. The race itself was tough, I wasn't properly prepared for the heat, or the climbing of the full course. We traveled with my wife's girlfriend and her family (as we have often before) and while we three (Mrs/Mrs' GF/Myself) raced the full course, Wife's girlfriends father raced the half course and loved it, almost won his age group too.

There are plenty of other off-brand races you can look into. In your case I'd pick a location and then look for a race. Just my $0.02, enjoy!
2017-05-04 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

If you're really up for traveling, check out Pucon 70.3.  It's an amazingly beautiful area in Chile with a live volcano nearby that makes it look like you're living in a scene from a postcard.  It's currently my favorite HIM race and I've done a decent number of them.  It's in January, so it falls in your late fall to early spring timeframe.  Registration just opened recently and it will sell out, so you'll have to jump on it reasonably quickly. 

My favorite North American race is St. George, but it's this weekend, so you'd have to wait a year.  It's a challenging, but beautiful race!

2017-05-04 3:42 PM
in reply to: #5219683

User image

I just registered for Challenge Aruba in October 2017.

Never been. Just the wife and I going. Absolutely beautiful there.

2017-05-04 4:27 PM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jeff B

I just registered for Challenge Aruba in October 2017.

Never been. Just the wife and I going. Absolutely beautiful there.

That looks amazing! Have been to Orajnstead.

Curious how they will do the bike, such a small island
2017-05-04 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If you like heat and are okay with an ocean swim, IM Vietnam 70.3? Basically pancake-flat, "easy" course (of course, not so easy due to the heat) with the exception of what can sometimes be a rough swim.

In the US, if you don't have your heart set on an IM brand event. I really enjoyed my first HIM, Chelanman. In central Washington on one of the country's biggest lakes. The course itself is beautiful (the best swim course I have ever done--you follow an orange underwater cable the whole way so no stress with sighting), you can take boats to very remote areas at the upper end of the lake for hiking and camping, there are wineries in the area for tasting and picnicking, and several national forests within an hour's drive. Some of the best scenery around! Nice weather, too--usually cool to warm and dry in late July when the race is.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time destination 1/2 IM? Rss Feed