PEAC
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 25m 35s
Overall Rank = 48/97
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 6/17
Pre-race routine:

Ate a veggie burger around 5 for 7 pm race start. Got there around 6:20, checked in, and then ran a bit with Jeff before heading over to the start line.
Event warmup:

Ran a little over a mile with Jeff in the area around PEAC and the neighboring apartment complex.
Run
  • 25m 35s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Jeff said he wanted to go about an 8:45 pace. We ended up starting faster than that and it was tough from the get-go. I got comfortable keeping up with him, but it was just below my discomfort threshhold the whole time. We did really well on the first hill on Lower Ferry Rd. Then around halfway I started feeling the pace, having trouble focusing on things like I do when I get really beat. I grabbed a water cup at the halfway point, but drank very little since I was breathing so hard. I was able to keep my three-beat breaths going through half the lap, until we turned onto Lower Ferry again and went up the hill. My HR was just too high at that point - I didn't feel like I took the hill too fast, but I was at 176 (Z5.2) by the time I got to the top. I told Jeff to leave me behind, since he was looking good, and continued to struggle to maintain close to my pace while not letting my HR go higher. It went down a touch, but remained in the 170s and high 160s through the rest of the race. I skipped the last water station (only 1/4 mile from the finish?) and just focused on the finish line once I could see it. I knew I was still in for a fast time, even though I'd dropped back a bit. I saw Jeff finish just after 25:00 and then was able to get up a decent sprint for the finish, ending in 25:35. Since the course ended up being only 3 miles, not 5K, it wasn't as big a PR as I'd thought, but it still was one.
What would you do differently?:

Well, I'd prefer it if the race organizers could keep us on the proper course! Other than that, I'd try not to go out quite so fast so I could maintain my control at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with Jeff. Stayed for the awards until I got too cold to stand there any more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I haven't been doing speed work since the Love Run. Training for more of a 5K distance would obviously help me with pacing. I'm not used to running in the 8 min/mile range, so it was hard to feel it out.

Event comments:

This was an ok small, neighborhood race. There were a few organizational quirks - the race actually started 5 min EARLY and the lead vehicle took us off-course, losing .1 miles. There were volunteers at the turns, but they weren't very helpful (basically human cones) - I heard several people ask them questions and none of the volunteers had answers. They were all just high school kids. I got the impression some of the organizers were very organized and on top of things, but they didn't do a good job getting their volunteers on the same page. I'd do the race again - it was close by and for a good cause - but I wouldn't invest much in it.

Last updated: 2017-05-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:35 | 03 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 48/97
Performance: Good
Course: Two laps on the roads around PEAC
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5