General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brownlee at St.George 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-06 6:29 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: Brownlee at St.George 70.3
Probably not a surprise but the guy had his way with a deep field and won convincingly. I have no idea whether he would make more money by winning another gold medal or winning Kona. If it's Kona, I predict he sets his sights on 140.6. Or maybe money isn't the issue for him...

It's probably a much more natural progression from ITU to 70.3 but if he does make the jump to 140.6, it would be an awesome storyline for triathlon.

2017-05-06 10:37 PM
in reply to: #5219841

New user
Subject: RE: Brownlee at St.George 70.3
Dominating performance. And i think the guy has a lot more in him.
2017-05-07 7:28 AM
in reply to: #5219844

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
I could hear him being interviewed at the finish shortly after exiting T2. Looks like Lionel wasn't too far back - that must have been fun to follow.
2017-05-07 9:24 AM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by SevenZulu

I could hear him being interviewed at the finish shortly after exiting T2. Looks like Lionel wasn't too far back - that must have been fun to follow.

Brownlee won by 33 seconds.
He outswam Lionel by 3min
He hammered the bike and only gave up 30 seconds to Sanders on the bike. I think he was proving a point here.
Lionel was catching him on the run putting 2 minutes into him.

Brownlee admitted to having trouble with his stomach and backed off enough to finish with the win. But it was not a cruise in the park.
If Lionel would have had his best ever swim it would have been an interesting finish. If Lionel can get on some feet for the swim, future races will be interesting.
2017-05-07 11:01 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by marcag

He hammered the bike and only gave up 30 seconds to Sanders on the bike. I think he was proving a point here.

Brownlee admitted to having trouble with his stomach and backed off enough to finish with the win. But it was not a cruise in the park.
If Lionel would have had his best ever swim it would have been an interesting finish. If Lionel can get on some feet for the swim, future races will be interesting.

Brownlee backed it off on the run. He's a smart racer. No need to bury himself to make a point. WInning the race was all the point he had to make. Had he been challenged on the run, he'd of matched Sanders' run to within a few seconds.

Agree with you Chris. I think we'll see him at Kona, but after he beats up on 70.3 guys for a season or two.
2017-05-07 11:20 AM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by d00d

Brownlee backed it off on the run. He's a smart racer. No need to bury himself to make a point. WInning the race was all the point he had to make. Had he been challenged on the run, he'd of matched Sanders' run to within a few seconds.

Agree with you Chris. I think we'll see him at Kona, but after he beats up on 70.3 guys for a season or two.

We were spectating, same him at the monster clim at around mile 2-3. He was pushing and he was in pain. Lionel was about 2min down at that point.

I suspect Brownlee absolutely hammered the bike to make a point and try to break Lionel. But that's not the kind of thing that breaks Lionel, it fules him.

We also saw him at the pub post race and while he was fine enough to be drinking beer, he had a hard time coming down the stairs. It was funny to see him get carded.

IMO, his biggest Kona challenger will be Gomez

2017-05-07 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

We were spectating, same him at the monster climb at around mile 2-3. He was pushing and he was in pain. Lionel was about 2min down at that point.

I suspect Brownlee absolutely hammered the bike to make a point and try to break Lionel. But that's not the kind of thing that breaks Lionel, it fuels him.

We also saw him at the pub post race and while he was fine enough to be drinking beer, he had a hard time coming down the stairs. It was funny to see him get carded.

Sorry for all the typos :-)
2017-05-08 12:26 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

We were spectating, same him at the monster clim at around mile 2-3. He was pushing and he was in pain. Lionel was about 2min down at that point.

I suspect Brownlee absolutely hammered the bike to make a point and try to break Lionel. But that's not the kind of thing that breaks Lionel, it fules him.

That's what makes him a great racer...he prob has different gears/levels of pain. I'm guessing that he had a few more levels of pain he could have tapped into, had it been necessary.

Fun race...
2017-05-08 1:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by alltom1 Probably not a surprise but the guy had his way with a deep field and won convincingly. I have no idea whether he would make more money by winning another gold medal or winning Kona. If it's Kona, I predict he sets his sights on 140.6. Or maybe money isn't the issue for him... It's probably a much more natural progression from ITU to 70.3 but if he does make the jump to 140.6, it would be an awesome storyline for triathlon.

I was really surprised.  I expected to see a lot of Canadians and Americans in the headlines since it was the North American Championship.  I read the story about Alistair's win with fascination because I didn't think these non-drafting races were his thing and thought that European Club racing was all he was doing.  I loved seeing his big grin on all the finish line photos.  He is an amazing athlete and really fun to watch. I really don't know how I feel about him doing Kona though.  I love seeing him running with a group of 6 guys at the end of the Olympic Distance race and seeing one drop out then two then three and having it be a foot race to the end.  The Kona race is a different animal and why the legendary triathletes over time have shown that they could complete well at different formats and distances part of me wants to say that he has nothing to prove and that he should stick with the ITU racing.  His double Olympic win is bigger than 6 Kona Wins in my book.  I am possible bias though.  :-)

Edited by BlueBoy26 2017-05-08 1:09 PM
2017-05-12 10:56 AM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Considering he is really green in long distance racing, this is a show of pure talent. Give him a few more races to figure out pacing, nutrition, etc. and he'll be unstoppable. Who knows how far he can go... might be a future Kona champion.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brownlee at St.George 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Calling St George Veterans & Participants

Started by rjcalhoun
Views: 847 Posts: 7

2017-05-07 2:53 PM BlueBoy26

Just signed up for St George 70.3!!

Started by rjcalhoun
Views: 694 Posts: 3

2016-12-13 8:14 AM GMAN 19030

Training Volume for sub 4:20 70.3?