World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 52m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 3:30am, had some eggs, blueberries and coffee. On the bus ride out to Sand Hollow I had my first omen that this day was going to be rough...I realized I forgot my nutrition (roasted and salted sweet potatoes) back at the condo in the fridge. Dumb mistake. I found some bagels and peanut butter at the swim start and stuffed them in my bento box.
Event warmup:

No real warm up, the usual milling around waiting for the swim start.
Swim
  • 52m 39s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Took me a bit to get into a rhythm. My goggles fogged up a bit, that frustrated me but I just had to deal with it. I was in a later swim wave and many of the young gun swimmers were behind us--they caught up and of course plowed right through us, which is to be expected. I"m always in awe by how powerful really good swimmers are! I was still able to site OK through my fogged lenses.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I'm a slow but consistent swimmer, did my usual 'just keep swimming' mantra.
Transition 1
  • 06m 12s
Comments:

Another slower transition but slow was the theme of the day!

Hurried up
Bike
  • 4h 09m 43s
  • 56 miles
  • 13.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Well sheesh. This was hard. Up to mile 44 I felt like I was doing ok...the wind sucked but I was still doing fine. When I could I was eating bits of the bagel and peanut butter, not easy to chew bread while on the bike. I finally turned into Snow Canyon and up I went. At times I was at 3-4 mph but I did not get off my bike! Saw plenty of people walking the bikes up that last brutal mile but I was determined to make it and I did. I couldn't wait to turn into town--those last ten miles would be downhill and fast and the reward for all that work...until I turned and realized I was in a 30-40 mph headwind the whole way back in. Those last ten miles just sapped my mojo--what was supposed to be the best part of the ride was almost the worst part! It just sucked.

Nothing, I did what I could. The wind was just too much.
Transition 2
  • 05m 10s
Comments:

Finally was able to hit the bathroom...I had to pee the entire time on the bike. Yes, I tried to go while riding but just couldn't :-)

Hurried up
Run
  • 3h 38m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 16m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, this was in no way a run. I was done at this point. By the end of mile one I was thinking about turning around and walking back to the start, finding my daughter and calling it a day. By mile two I was looking for any IM official so I could tap out. By mile 3 I was looking for medical because I was trying to convince myself I was going into heat stroke so I could be pulled from the course and be done. By mile four I was looking for ways to cut the course and head back into town. By mile 5 I had quit 10,000 times in my head. By mile six I found 10,001 reasons to keep going. It was so hard. My feet were on fire, I kept burping peanut butter up into my mouth, I wanted to badly to find shade and sit down--but there was no shade. So I just kept trudging on. I jogged when I could, but mostly just kept moving forward. Finally, finally made it to that mile 12 and jogged it in. I was so glad to be done.

I'm not sure if poor nutrition was to blame, the heat, the wind, a combination of everything but I could not get my legs to run. I've never had to walk so much, even in the Ironman I did in 2015.
Post race
Warm down:

I sat in the fountains in the town square. Two adorable brothers, about ages 4 and 2, had water bottles and started dumping water all over my legs and my back...it was the best. They kept saying 'we'll help you cool off!' It was great...they were so cute and made it all better!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ummm, as usual, my ability to perform faster!

Event comments:

The race itself is amazing. I don't think the course is too hard for me...the conditions were just really tough, plus my nutrition was a disaster.

Last updated: 2017-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:39 | 2112 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Point to point turning left
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:12
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
04:09:43 | 56 miles | 13.46 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Lots of hills and wind
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:38:30 | 13.1 miles | 16m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Hills, hills, and more hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2017-05-09 7:39 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Ironman 70.3 St. George

2017-05-09 7:49 AM
in reply to: #5219980

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 St. George

Great report, Kim, and way to keep pushing through. I especially loved reading about your mental battle during the run. Way to push through. Although it was a tough day, I suspect it'll pay big dividends for you in your future races.

2017-05-09 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Congrats on sticking out a very off day all the way to an unofficial finish.  The good news is that making a mistake of forgetting bike nutrition is almost certainly one that you'll never repeat.  I forgot to put my food on the bike exactly once during a HIM.  That's all it took.  Goes along with lessons like always set a backup alarm clock.  Don't forget the time zone change...  Anyway, you now have good cause to book your next bout with St. George, right?

2017-05-09 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Great report Kim!

I agree with above I think this race took you to dark places that will have you so much better repaired than most everyone else in the future. I liked the change on the run from the first half finding reasons to quit to what I took from the second half and all the reasons to finish. Great job again!
2017-05-09 8:35 PM

User image

Ventura, California

Great write up. Such a brutal day and the run was unrelenting. It would have been easy to quit on the run course, so glad to hear you pushed through and finished the course. The heat combined with the wind was like having a huge hair dryer turned on full blast right in your face!

Even though the run was the toughest, the volunteers and community made it the best! If you do volunteer next year I look forward to seeing you there.

C/Ya

2017-05-09 9:52 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
So sorry to hear the race went down the way it did, but thrilled that you were able to persevere and cross the finish line, whether or not it was "official". You still completed the course. It's been my experience too that nutrition really, really matters for the longer stuff. I remember in my second Oly I managed to have all my nutrition fall of my bike (last time I ever went the duct tape route). Thank goodness my friend's husband managed to "drop" some fruit leather next to the run course, or I might have died (PM race, too, and I couldn't get anything down at lunch)! Can't imagine trying to do a HIM on no/lousy nutrition, especially bread! The whole mental thing--sounds like low blood sugar. It plays havoc with morale, willpower, and everything else, in addition to the body. Amazed that you were able to push through it and finish anyway.

2017-05-10 6:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Kim

Great report and way to hang in there to finish the race. I can't eat peanut butter prior or during a race. I had issues in two races and gave up peanut butter before or during a race. Don't know why but it doesn't agree with me during a race.

So proud of your determination to finish. Hold your head up high/ You will look back after a few weeks and see how strong you were to finish.

The hardest race I had (Louisville Ironman) to finish is now one of my favorite memories. Not because of the slow time but because of my determination to finish.

Great job Kim!
2017-05-10 7:28 AM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

User image

Elite

Volunteers really were the best...one young lady really cheered me on at a pivotal point--I made sure to let her know she made a difference for me that day!

2017-05-10 1:15 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm not sure if I have told you this lately, You are a Beast!!!!!

Congrats on sticking through a rough one.

2017-05-10 3:32 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Elite

Originally posted by cdban66

I'm not sure if I have told you this lately, You are a Beast!!!!!

Congrats on sticking through a rough one.

Ha!  I felt like a beast powering through that one!  Ugh!  But I will take the compliment!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 St. George Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 St. George

Started by rjcalhoun
Views: 1315 Posts: 4

2017-05-09 1:25 PM ingleshteechur

Ironman 70.3 St. George

Started by SevenZulu
Views: 1396 Posts: 3

2017-05-15 11:45 PM rjcalhoun