General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell me again why I shouldn't wear core shorts all the time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-11 6:15 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: Tell me again why I shouldn't wear core shorts all the time
I had shoulder surgery on 12/14/16 - stemming from a bike wreck last summer. I didn't swim from early Nov. until 3/22/17. I swam 50 yds on 3/22 and a mile a couple weeks later. I started building yardage and additional sessions, immediately. I went from 1650 X 2 days/wk.....to 3 days a week.....then 1800 X 3 days/wk....to 2000......to 2200. I swim with fins on some to keep the pressure off my shoulder (though the irritation comes in the recovery and not the pull). I also use my core shorts at least one day/wk for the entire swim, just to be able to get in all the yardage without undue stress.

I got to thinking......I'm going to do 2 races for sure this year that I will wear a wetsuit in. Specificity.....right? If it allowed me to swim 3000 yds/session....or even 3500....why shouldn't I wear them all the time?

I am not a swimmer. My HIM swims have been 40 min., 36 min's and 29 minutes (with the last one being downstream in a river). I do this for fun. I am at a point where I need to start doing some longer sessions to build for an IM swim in the fall. After Louisville, I plan to do a couple HIM's/yr.....and that's it (looking forward). I'm 52.

The question is......if you race in a wetsuit 100% of the time, why shouldn't you practice that way?

2017-05-11 7:09 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Subject: RE: Tell me again why I shouldn't wear core shorts all the time
Do you mean in a pool? I have always heard that that level of chlorine is bad for the wet suit / core shorts material. I have never heard anyone give an account of what happens or how badly the material degrades as a result though. The only other thing I would consider is the water temperature of the pool and whether or not overheating could be a possibility. Not likely with core shorts but possible in a full wetsuit I would imagine. Good luck with your shoulder and enjoy your races!
2017-05-11 7:17 AM
in reply to: kalish

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I've probably worn mine in a pool 15X. They show no signs of degrading (that I can see)....and overheating isn't an issue for an hour and a half.
2017-05-11 7:20 AM
in reply to: #5220191

User image

Franklin, TN
I love my Roka Sim shorts. With that being said, I haven't worn them in a few months. I didn't feel like could maximize my potential using them because they made everything so easy. I'm getting closer to the speed I had when I wore them so I'm happy I made the effort. We all do this for fun so wear them if you want...especially if it gets you to the pool more often.
2017-05-11 7:29 AM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by JoelO

I love my Roka Sim shorts. With that being said, I haven't worn them in a few months. I didn't feel like could maximize my potential using them because they made everything so easy. I'm getting closer to the speed I had when I wore them so I'm happy I made the effort. We all do this for fun so wear them if you want...especially if it gets you to the pool more often.

I've really just hit the point of diminishing returns. At 2,200 yds - 3x/wk......I'm experiencing a little discomfort in my shoulder. I know I need to get more yardage in (IM prep).....so, I thought this approach might help me do that.

I guess the question becomes......will I see more swim fitness gains at a higher yardage......wearing the core shorts? I'm a firm believer that my pull helps correct some body position issues I (must) have. That comes at a price, though.
2017-05-11 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by nc452010
Originally posted by JoelO I love my Roka Sim shorts. With that being said, I haven't worn them in a few months. I didn't feel like could maximize my potential using them because they made everything so easy. I'm getting closer to the speed I had when I wore them so I'm happy I made the effort. We all do this for fun so wear them if you want...especially if it gets you to the pool more often.
I've really just hit the point of diminishing returns. At 2,200 yds - 3x/wk......I'm experiencing a little discomfort in my shoulder. I know I need to get more yardage in (IM prep).....so, I thought this approach might help me do that. I guess the question becomes......will I see more swim fitness gains at a higher yardage......wearing the core shorts? I'm a firm believer that my pull helps correct some body position issues I (must) have. That comes at a price, though.

The amount you are swimming is definitely not the point of diminishing returns.  If you spend more time in the pool, and more importantly time on your technique, doing proper workouts, and I would also suggest getting some coaching, you will get much faster.

I wouldn't wear the shorts, if you want the flotation use a pull bouy.

2017-05-11 8:10 AM
in reply to: 0

I think the only reason there would possibly be a problem with wearing the core shorts all the time is if you had a technical flaw that the core shorts were hiding, and thus you were potentially limiting your improvement.

For example, if you know you're a leg-sinker that overutilizes a kick for buoyancy rather than propulsion, you may be leaving time on the table by using the core shorts to mask this rather than fixing it once and for all and gaining the extra propulsion and wasting less energy on maintaining body position.

But there are some top coaches like Brett Sutton who (controversially) agree with you - he lets his swimmers use the PB through the whole set, as long as they're in the water working hard. He would argue that unless you have some big technical flaw to fix that the PB/shorts is hiding, go crazy and crank up that swim volume since triathletes don't swim enough, even at the highest levels.

I tend to agree (even though I swim faster without the PB in a pool and I benefit less from wetsuits than others) - swimming more, harder is usually better as a triathlete so if you're enjoying it a lot more with the PB, go for it. But at the same time, keep an eye on trying to address any technical issue that is probably causing this dependency and try and fix it asap.

Edited by yazmaster 2017-05-11 8:12 AM
2017-05-11 8:11 AM
in reply to: #5220198

New user
I say wear the core shorts. Rinse them well after each use to, hopefully, extend the life of them. I use them often, and i think it has allowed me to increase yardage more rapidly than without. The bbiggest issue, I believe, IF you ever decide to go without the suit or shorts, its going to be much harder to find good form because you've ingrained so much yardage with 'help.' But, yeah, I'm in the boat of doing whatever it takes to keep you going and enjoying the sport.
2017-05-11 8:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by nc452010
Originally posted by JoelO I love my Roka Sim shorts. With that being said, I haven't worn them in a few months. I didn't feel like could maximize my potential using them because they made everything so easy. I'm getting closer to the speed I had when I wore them so I'm happy I made the effort. We all do this for fun so wear them if you want...especially if it gets you to the pool more often.
I've really just hit the point of diminishing returns. At 2,200 yds - 3x/wk......I'm experiencing a little discomfort in my shoulder. I know I need to get more yardage in (IM prep).....so, I thought this approach might help me do that. I guess the question becomes......will I see more swim fitness gains at a higher yardage......wearing the core shorts? I'm a firm believer that my pull helps correct some body position issues I (must) have. That comes at a price, though.

The amount you are swimming is definitely not the point of diminishing returns.  If you spend more time in the pool, and more importantly time on your technique, doing proper workouts, and I would also suggest getting some coaching, you will get much faster.

I wouldn't wear the shorts, if you want the flotation use a pull bouy.

I'm not sure you read everything. It's not that I'm choosing to limit myself to my current yardage. It's the fact I've found how much my shoulder will accept.

I never said I didn't have a coach. I have a coach and I swim with Masters class.

For &%#^$ and giggles, let's say a person lived in a cooler climate with no access to indoor pools.....and their only choice was to OWS with a wetsuit, 100% of the time. If they were going to race this way 100% of the time, where would be the rub?

Edited by nc452010 2017-05-11 8:40 AM
2017-05-11 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
I personally think like you have indicated that you expect your long course swims to be wetsuit legal that it is not a terrible idea. I guess maybe I would supplement my workouts and maybe do a couple a week with the shorts and a couple a week without. If it allowed me, and my shoulder, to get another workout in per week of the same target yardage I would do it. I personally have started using my pull buoy more in some of my workouts as my volume as gone from 7500 yards a week to over 10000 yards. I know not a lot of volume as compared to some but helps me maintain consistent form in some sets especially as I have started banding legs.
2017-05-11 8:50 AM
in reply to: dandr614

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Also (forgot to mention this), the advantage to core shorts (v. the PB) is I still kick with core shorts on. To me, swimming with a PB is easier than swimming with core shorts.

But, that's just me.

2017-05-11 8:52 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Actually if you always race in a wetsuit I don't really think it is all that bad of an idea.
2017-05-11 10:00 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by nc452010 The question is......if you race in a wetsuit 100% of the time, why shouldn't you practice that way?

Because the wetsuit masks deficiencies in the stroke/body position.  And you will be faster in (or out of) the wetsuit if you figure out how to address those deficiencies. 

That's not to say you can't practice in a wetsuit all the time. Just why you shouldn't.

2017-05-11 10:46 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by nc452010 The question is......if you race in a wetsuit 100% of the time, why shouldn't you practice that way?

Because the wetsuit masks deficiencies in the stroke/body position.  And you will be faster in (or out of) the wetsuit if you figure out how to address those deficiencies. 

That's not to say you can't practice in a wetsuit all the time. Just why you shouldn't.

I understand your point.

So, do you think it's better to swim 2200 yds without ......or 3500 yds with (3x/wk)? Remember the goal is to build to a swim of 4,224 with. Longest swims I've done have been my HIM swims (4X).
2017-05-11 11:28 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I don't know.  If putting your body in a better position takes the pressure off your shoulder because your recovery is better, then probably wear it and swim more --so you get more pull work done.  But if body position is really causing that shoulder pressure, then maybe fixing your position should be your primary focus so you are not limited with or without the added buoyancy.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell me again why I shouldn't wear core shorts all the time Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Why faster on short swim sets? Pages: 1 2

Started by aribloch
Views: 2450 Posts: 33

2016-12-26 9:40 PM goforit

That time of year....Time Trial from Hell

Started by g_shotts
Views: 1019 Posts: 1

2016-08-01 11:12 AM g_shotts

Guess My HIM Time (This time with prizes!) Pages: 1 2

Started by 3mar
Views: 2475 Posts: 44