North Carolina Triathlon Series
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 22m 25s
Overall Rank = 212/284
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 48/64
Pre-race routine:

Spent the evening at my sister's house the night before. Got up, had two waffles with coffee and a banana. Drank more water on the way to the race site and ate a cliff bar while setting up
Event warmup:

ran a mile, stretched, then swam approx. 75 yds and stretched.

Found Mike (Hooked on Tri) and Debbie (DB8) and a friend from Kinston. Did not find Tommy and did not see Jenn. Met someother people that I had seen at other races, so it was nice to start recognizing people from race to race.
Swim
  • 44m 49s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

the best swim I have had in a non pool or non current swim. Beat last year's time by 3 minutes and White Lake by 4. I can't really say anything bad about this swim for the type of swimmer I am. The amusing thing is I keep saying how bad a swimmer I am (and I am) but my swim is consistently ranking higher than my bike and run. Oh well
What would you do differently?:

nothing that could be changed during the race. it was a great swim for me
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

good transition. not great. I stopped to sit down and wipe off my feet before putting socks on. There is not much else to done quickly in this case

learn to ride without socks
Bike
  • 2h 59m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.72 mile/hr
Comments:

a good ride for me. cut 15 minutes off last year and felt great. was around a minute slower than White Lake (which is flat) kept my heart rate where I wanted it to be. Pushed some, but not so much that I felt uncomfortable or was worried about the run. Could have pushed even harder on a couple of areas, but then the run would have suffered more (at least I think it would have)

Had to stop around mile 15 to put chain back on. Had continuing issues with the front derailleur which I need to check on. Overall, very happy with the ride given the hills

Nothing during the race. In the offseason, continue to ride a lot and lift more
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

good transition, except I forgot to leave my ecaps and had to turn around and toss them. (me ecaps are kept in a seven day pill holder so they are easier to deal with on the bike, but it is a pain -literally- to run with in the jersey pocket) that really didn't cost me more than 5-10 seconds

remember to get the ecaps out
Run
  • 2h 34m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Once again, this run course reaches up and bites me. After last year's absolutely awful experience, I thought I had figured out how to run this course. If last year was an F, this was a D at best. Both years the muscle on the inside of the knee ( I refer to it as the kicking muscle) has cramped up terribly. Felt like knives being stabbed in it. No other muscles seem to be affected. Anyway, I got through about a quarter of the run course before it set in. (that's an improvement from last year) After that I would have to stop, stretch, walk, shuffle and then run. I got to the point that I would run as hard as I could for as long as I could, then stretch, walk and shuffle. I am about 14 minutes quicker than last year, but I really had high hopes for the run. Especially as good as I felt coming off the bike. Well, that gives me something to work on. My goal now is to beat this run course. If I can do that, I will be doing well in my little world

Saw Jeff (jkbostic) on the side of the big hill. He was out cheering everyone on and that was a big help. Debbie (DB8) was smoking by me. I doubt she ever walked a hill. She did great. I never saw Tommy, but his time was great as well.

Figure out how not to cramp. It wasn't salt, because I took almost 30 between the bike and run. Kept eating my gels, but maybe I could have put more in. Took one of my bottles with me and then drank Cytomax the last 1/2 loop. I couldn't put anything else in my stomach, so we just have to keep running more and faster training runs to get stronger.
Post race
Warm down:

went to the medical tent to get something to cool down with and stop the cramps. avoided the IV. Drank a soda to get the stomach burping (felt much better after that) Saw Mike (Hooked on Tri) and spoke with him. I think Debbie and Tommy had already gone on their ride.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

leg cramps

Event comments:

Set up puts on a good race. They could have used ice up on the run course to cool the water and Cytomax. Other than that, good day.

I rated the race as a good one because I cut 35 minutes off last year, even though I had the leg issues. Any time I can get faster from one year to the next, that's a good race. If I can figure out the leg issues, next year will be a great race.

Last updated: 2006-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:49 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/64
Overall: 174/284
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: essentially a long thin rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:59:27 | 56 miles | 18.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 42/64
Overall: 192/284
Performance:
average HR 140 during bike
Wind: None
Course: rolling hills with one steep hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:34:36 | 13.1 miles | 11m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/64
Overall: 220/284
Performance: Below average
probably in the 160 range during the run
Course: I call it a bowtie or a pinwheel shaped course. you run two loops. out of transition you run up to the top of the hill. this hill up is really two hills and it can break you if you are not ready for it. Once you are at the top, it is a set of rollers that you start to the right, turn around, go past the top of the hill to another turn around, then back down the big hill to a turn around for lap 2. Except for the 1/2 mile near transition, this all on gravel trails. With the loops, you get to see people often as they pass you.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-11 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: Duke Liver Center Half

2006-09-12 8:50 AM
in reply to: #537097

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Duke Liver Center Half
Great race! Awesome that you cut so much off of last year's time! Good job pushing through the pain and discomfort on the run to finish strong. Hopefully you can get the run issues figured out in the off-season!
2006-09-12 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC

Sorry I didn't get to catch up with you.  Maybe one of these days I'll figure out who all of you are so I can say high.  Seeing familiar faces is a huge help during a race,  especially one with a run like Duke. 

Personally, I can't believe you actually went faster on this course than at White Lake.  That is just amazing!  You should really be proud of that fact.  Me, I was like 23 minutes slower and that's even with my new fancy schmancy wheels.  

2006-09-12 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Great race! Congrats!

Another BTer...1 Foot The Other...and I volunteered and kept a lookout for "BT" body marks at the finish line as we handed out medals for a while. Unfortunately we didn't spy any so weren't able to catch up with anyone either. It was a pretty decent day for a race...by NC standards
2006-09-12 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Wow Dick!  You crushed last year's performance!!!  Hearty congratulations to you.  You looked great out there on the course.  I can't wait to see you at the next one.  Congrats on the PB - you beat the swim and 15 mins off of last years bike!  Wow!  That's awesome.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duke Liver Center Half Rss Feed