Other Resources The Political Joe » Special Counsel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-17 6:24 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Special Counsel
As a Trump supporter I think the appointment of a special counsel is awesome. I am sick of all the speculation and innuendos and draconian ramblings from the press and congress. Get this over with. If Trump is guilty, impeach him. If not, he will be exhonerayed and we can put this behind us. Let's do it! I am sick of the "I know a guy who knows a guy who has a friend...." reporting.

2017-05-17 7:05 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Special Counsel
Couldn't agree more, let's get this out of the media and away from the administration and find out the truth. It will take time and will be part of the midterms. We will get to see Trump's taxes. All good.
2017-05-17 8:00 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Couldn't agree more, let's get this out of the media and away from the administration and find out the truth. It will take time and will be part of the midterms. We will get to see Trump's taxes. All good.

You will only see his taxes if there is a federal indictment. That's the good thing about the special counsel, he controls what is released. It will be fun to watch hoe he handles the leaks of those out to hurt Trump.
2017-05-18 9:27 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Just read this:

"The Justice Department appointed Robert Mueller as special counsel on Wednesday to oversee the federal investigation into alleged collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign during the 2016 presidential election. But former FBI Assistant Director James Kallstrom said Mueller should focus on the other investigations. “This is a foreign intelligence investigation and collusion isn’t actually a crime,” Kallstrom said during an interview on the FOX Business Network."

Hmmm, all this time I was thinking the collusion was criminal but if there is federal statue then I guess it is not criminal. Impeachable? Maybe. Hard to say because if no crime was committed then there is no "high crime or misdemeanor".

Not impeachable to get a BJ in the oval office either but they impeached Clinton for perjury which is a crime but he was never prosecuted....but he did lose his license to ever practice law again.....like that hurt him.

So the worst case for Trump is they might find evidence that some of his staff colluded but it will be nearly impossible to tie anything directly to Trump.

My guess is this will end up just like the Clinton Whitewater/Rose Law Firm corruption.....unable to prove a crime was committed. Flynn will likely be the Ollie North......
2017-05-18 11:10 AM

Master
, California

I'm not a lawyer, don't know the details on collusion.  If there was direct collusion with the purpose of affecting the election, that's trouble.  If it's just business dealings, maybe not.

I would say it is likely that he's in violation of the emoluments clause of the Constitution - especially with his failure to divest - and probably committing obstruction of justice to avoid revealing it.  But that's sort of the whole point of getting Mueller in there -- to find out what's what.

2017-05-18 11:56 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by spudone

I'm not a lawyer, don't know the details on collusion.  If there was direct collusion with the purpose of affecting the election, that's trouble.  If it's just business dealings, maybe not.

I would say it is likely that he's in violation of the emoluments clause of the Constitution - especially with his failure to divest - and probably committing obstruction of justice to avoid revealing it.  But that's sort of the whole point of getting Mueller in there -- to find out what's what.

I'm not a lawyer either....but I will quit bragging.

I agree it would not be good if he directly solicited Russian help to get elected....but you still have to tied that to a federal statute. It's one of those rare things where you are not going to find a law that says, "Candidate for POTUS shall not solicit help from foreign entities".

I also don't know what the burden of proof is for impeachment. In criminal court the burden of proof is "beyond a reasonable doubt". In civil court the burden is "a preponderance of the evidence". In the NFL inflategate it was "more probable than not".

Just did some reading. So it take the majority of the House to call for impeachment. Then there is a trail in the Senate and witnesses are called, etc. It takes 2/3rd of the Senate to impeach.

This is just never gonna happen unless they find proof of treason or bribery. Obviously he doesn't need the money so doubtful be bribed anyone. Which leave treason, high crimes and misdemeanors.

Again, you can't just say, "it aint right that he talked to Puntin and asked him to release dirt on Hillary" There has to be a crime....IMO anyway.

Even if he said to Putin, "Not to worry about the expelled diplomats, after I'm elected I will reverse this". I just don't see that as a crime.

Oh well, I think it's a good thing that someone was appointed. If it was just left to DOJ regardless of what was eventually found or not found it would not be accepted by both sides. Maybe this way it can be put to bed....one way or another.

2017-05-19 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

First Impeachment is not a criminal proceeding. It's a legal proceeding whose parameters are set by the Constitution and (since it's only happened twice) only the Constitution. The charges are whatever Congress decides are "high crimes and misdemeanors" and the burden of proof is whatever they want it to be

Second, there are a number of statutes that make talking to foreign governments without proper authorization (especially foreign intelligence services) illegal. The Espionage Act for one, the Logan Act as another

Asking a foreign intelligence service to commit an illegal act is also illegal. Unauthorized access of computer systems is illegal (CFAA)But it likely violates the Espionage Act because it involves working with a foreign intelligence service

2017-05-19 12:52 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by dmiller5

First Impeachment is not a criminal proceeding. It's a legal proceeding whose parameters are set by the Constitution and (since it's only happened twice) only the Constitution. The charges are whatever Congress decides are "high crimes and misdemeanors" and the burden of proof is whatever they want it to be

Second, there are a number of statutes that make talking to foreign governments without proper authorization (especially foreign intelligence services) illegal. The Espionage Act for one, the Logan Act as another

Asking a foreign intelligence service to commit an illegal act is also illegal. Unauthorized access of computer systems is illegal (CFAA)But it likely violates the Espionage Act because it involves working with a foreign intelligence service

You may be right. I am just relying on several articles I have read by legal scholars among them a Harvard Law school professor.

As of right now we (the public) have seen zero evidence that an sort of crime has been committed. Everything is innuendo and speculation and what-if and he said/he said. Unless you have Trump on tape talking to Putin saying he will give him $1 million cash if he could hack HRC's email they will never pin anything on Trump. IF they did have such a tape they would have already indicted him. There is a reason it's very hard take down powerful people.....they don't do anything themselves and make sure they are well insulated from any wrong-doing. It's where the phrase 'plausible deniability' came from. Which is why they had to try Capone for tax evasion not murder and racketeering.

2017-05-19 1:35 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Special Counsel Rss Feed