General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Too much? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-18 11:08 PM

Subject: Too much?
HELP!!! I am training for my 4th Ironman and really need some advice on what's too much. Our coach used to have us do our long ride on Saturdays and long runs on Sundays. This season, we changed to a VERY long Brick on Saturdays (every Saturday). This will mean 100-130km rides followed directly by a 20+ km run. I am NOT elite (15-16hour IM). Is this too much? I am also in my 50's. What can folks suggest? Thank you!!

2017-05-19 4:18 AM
in reply to: SBRChick

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Too much?
Almost certainly too much.

How do you feel on Sunday and Monday?

Shane
2017-05-19 7:44 AM
in reply to: #5220754

Pretty tired... and sore. Sunday is a rest day, but back at it Monday. Our rides have been on a trainer for the winter, but we are beginning to head outside now. My longest on the trainer was 60km ( equates to much more outside) and a 24k run. I'm going to be suggesting some changes today.
2017-05-19 8:42 AM
in reply to: #5220761

New user
Hmmm. Definitely discuss this with your coach. Make YOUR goals clear. Get his/her rationale. Besides, this is your fourth IM. You have a pretty good idea of what you need.
2017-05-19 10:07 AM
in reply to: goforit

You definitely need to communicate to your coach that the current plan is too much! He/she knows that you are no longer a novice so he/she is stepping up the work load assuming you can handle it. If you say nothing, things will stay the same.

I'm currently training for my 3rd IM with the same coach. Every year he has given me more to do, but it's been a gradual process. This is actually the first year that I am doing a long brick on a weekend. The past 2 years I've done my long bike on a Saturday and long run on a Sunday with a rest day on Monday. My coach knows me very well and he knows I can handle the workload. I never have a problem expressing my concerns to him. In fact, he appreciates it. Some coaches see the potential in their athletes and they push them and that's their job. However, some coaches need gentle reminders that we are not elites and we are not getting any younger.

Don't forget that your coach works for you! They are there to guide you, help you reach your goalsl, keep things fun, and most importantly keep you injury free. Your coach will appreciate hearing your concerns and will adjust your plan accordingly. If not, then it's time to find a new coach.
2017-05-19 1:03 PM
in reply to: SBRChick

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I agree with Shane that it's likely too much given the way you feel later and that you're in your 50's.  

The way you describe it ("Our coach used to have us do..."), it sounds like your coach is providing training for a group and you're not getting individualized coaching.  My suggestion is to talk to your coach for their suggestions for modifying the program for you.  If they're not receptive to that, then you'd probably be better served by getting your programming from a different place - either another coach or a stock plan like the ones available here on BT.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Too much? Rss Feed