Other Resources The Political Joe » Student walk-out at Notre Dame graduation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-22 10:18 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Student walk-out at Notre Dame graduation
I think the "Me" generation has lost respect for everything.

First off, he was an invited guest speaker who came at the request of the University. If you want to protest somebody, protest your university president of the student body or whomever selected VP Pence as the commencement speaker. By showing your a))s)s like this you do your cause a great disservice. The fundamental reason we protest should be to win over hearts and minds of people with differing opinions. All they did was make themselves look like idiots and reinforce the opinions of those on the other side.

I hope they were all video taped and their names and photos are plastered all over social media so when prospective employers research candidates for jobs they will see they how disrespectful they were to the Vice President of the United States while he was a guest speaker at their graduation!

2017-05-22 11:03 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Student walk-out at Notre Dame graduation

Originally posted by Rogillio I think the "Me" generation has lost respect for everything. First off, he was an invited guest speaker who came at the request of the University. If you want to protest somebody, protest your university president of the student body or whomever selected VP Pence as the commencement speaker. By showing your a))s)s like this you do your cause a great disservice. The fundamental reason we protest should be to win over hearts and minds of people with differing opinions. All they did was make themselves look like idiots and reinforce the opinions of those on the other side. I hope they were all video taped and their names and photos are plastered all over social media so when prospective employers research candidates for jobs they will see they how disrespectful they were to the Vice President of the United States while he was a guest speaker at their graduation!

Meh.....not most of them, or even a majority of them, or even a lot of them for that matter.  This small minority of idiots don't even deserve a thread on this board much less any real publicity.  Who cares?

2017-05-22 2:13 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Disrespectful, sure. But well within their rights to peacefully protest. No cars torched, no windows broken. I call that progress.
2017-05-22 3:46 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Disrespectful, sure. But well within their rights to peacefully protest. No cars torched, no windows broken. I call that progress.

True. It's always within one's right to act like a d. My ire is for the 2,000 students whose graduation day was tarnished by 100 morons. Your 'right' to be a d infringed on my right to have a respectful, apolitical graduation ceremony. The were protesting what Pence did as governor......that ship has sailed. He is no longer governor. If you want to change something then go to the people who can actually change the laws in Indiana!

This goes back to my fundamental disgust with protestors who's actions have the exact opposite effect they are seeking because they impact innocent people. Pence did not give a rats tail about the protest. He will use it to his political advantage as having stood his ground and gave the speech and talked about freedom of speech, etc.
2017-05-22 4:30 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by Oysterboy Disrespectful, sure. But well within their rights to peacefully protest. No cars torched, no windows broken. I call that progress.
True. It's always within one's right to act like a d. My ire is for the 2,000 students whose graduation day was tarnished by 100 morons. Your 'right' to be a d infringed on my right to have a respectful, apolitical graduation ceremony. The were protesting what Pence did as governor......that ship has sailed. He is no longer governor. If you want to change something then go to the people who can actually change the laws in Indiana! This goes back to my fundamental disgust with protestors who's actions have the exact opposite effect they are seeking because they impact innocent people. Pence did not give a rats tail about the protest. He will use it to his political advantage as having stood his ground and gave the speech and talked about freedom of speech, etc.

It became political the minute they invited a politician to speak.

2017-05-23 8:08 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by Oysterboy Disrespectful, sure. But well within their rights to peacefully protest. No cars torched, no windows broken. I call that progress.
True. It's always within one's right to act like a d. My ire is for the 2,000 students whose graduation day was tarnished by 100 morons. Your 'right' to be a d infringed on my right to have a respectful, apolitical graduation ceremony. The were protesting what Pence did as governor......that ship has sailed. He is no longer governor. If you want to change something then go to the people who can actually change the laws in Indiana! This goes back to my fundamental disgust with protestors who's actions have the exact opposite effect they are seeking because they impact innocent people. Pence did not give a rats tail about the protest. He will use it to his political advantage as having stood his ground and gave the speech and talked about freedom of speech, etc.

Good point. OTOH, many non-politicians gave political speeches at commencement ceremonies around the country. Pence was a very popular governor in Indiana who went on to become VPOTUS so I think it was appropriate to ask him to speak at a commencement at Indiana university. And as has been pointed out, there were only about 100 people out of the 2,000 that graduated that walked out. From what I've read, the were widely boo'd by their classmates.

2017-05-23 8:09 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Good point. OTOH, many non-politicians gave political speeches at commencement ceremonies around the country. Pence was a very popular governor in Indiana who went on to become VPOTUS so I think it was appropriate to ask him to speak at a commencement at Indiana university. And as has been pointed out, there were only about 100 people out of the 2,000 that graduated that walked out. From what I've read, the were widely boo'd by their classmates.
2017-05-23 8:16 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
If my kid had done this to obama or biden, I would have sent her a bill for entire college education.
2017-05-23 8:31 AM

User image

Originally posted by OysterboyDisrespectful, sure. But well within their rights to peacefully protest. No cars torched, no windows broken. I call that progress.
With all the whining, I mean protesting that's going on today this one is low on my outrage meter. Sure it was disrespectful to the VP and all those in attendance. At least it was only a short distraction as they walked out. I view this as they mostly only hurt themselves. They missed out on something they worked hard for over a number of years. Maybe receiving their diploma at the ceremony isn't important to them but they may look back years from now and have some regrets. Either way at least they made their point and then took it outside.
2017-05-23 9:06 AM

User image

Pro

Look man, if the protests are to continue then I'm going to need some violence....at least enough to keep everyone honest.  Baby needs a new pair of shoes!!

2017-05-23 2:29 PM

Master
, California

I personally have no problem with the VP speaking at Notre Dame or the pres speaking at the Coast Guard Academy or whatever.  All I'm saying is that he *is* a politician and if he's speaking, then students have an equal right to conduct a peaceful political protest against him -- that's pretty cut & dry 1st amendment stuff right there.

Even if I disagreed with the protestors 100%, it still makes me proud to be in a country that allows that.  Say in contrast to China or ... lately, Turkey, or whatever.

2017-05-25 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

I personally have no problem with the VP speaking at Notre Dame or the pres speaking at the Coast Guard Academy or whatever.  All I'm saying is that he *is* a politician and if he's speaking, then students have an equal right to conduct a peaceful political protest against him -- that's pretty cut & dry 1st amendment stuff right there.

Even if I disagreed with the protestors 100%, it still makes me proud to be in a country that allows that.  Say in contrast to China or ... lately, Turkey, or whatever.

... or Russia?
2017-05-26 9:07 PM
in reply to: #5220929

New user
Or Iran.
2017-05-26 9:55 PM
in reply to: goforit

User image

Pro

.....or Montana

2017-05-27 9:08 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

I agree with a lot of these posts, and disagree with a lot. What this comes down to is values and basic respect. There is a dangerous attitude being supported in America that if you are passionate about what you believe in, anything goes. So what if they had the legal right? You don't like Pence? Great. Take him out to the woodshed in 2020 when you go to the polls. These people disrespected the other graduates. I agree with that post. Also, to the point of another poster, darn right I would not hire anyone one of these people in my company. There is a time and place for everything, and just because they weren't burning cars does not make this right. It's like getting invited to a wedding and you don't like the bride and groom...so you go there, get drunk, and make an out of yourself. Fine. Legal. But are you an a-hole? For sure, and everyone knows it.

To me, the people who walked out lost their goggles in the swim, cycled with their wetsuit on, and ran in fins....Ha!

PS Great speech by Hillary at Wellesley----no fibbing or distortions there!!

PPS Left Brain-your humor kills me....always love to read your stuff!
2017-05-28 7:23 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Pro
Tejas
Good post Barry.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Student walk-out at Notre Dame graduation Rss Feed