General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM to a stint? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-22 1:41 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: IM to a stint?

Back story: 45 yrs old, 200LBS 6ft tall. Been doing triathlons for 7-8 years. Started with an indoor triathlon and competed all the way through Ironman. Last race was Redman 1406., followed by the Ragnar Relay, followed by a marathon in the end of 2013. 2014 was spent doing a few races including Ragnar, a half marathon and a few sprint races. 2015 and 2016 did not compete but kept active. I say all that to say I have been active and exercising, but not training.

Jump to two weeks ago playing basketball, I felt off and sat on the bench, felt dizzy and passed out. Woke up to see teammates above me! One of my teammates is an EMT and he convinced me to go to ER. At the ER, my HR was at 170 and wouldn't slow down. Dr. said I was in AFib (?) Multiple tests were run and no cause was found and HR went back to normal after medication. Soon came the cardio doctor visits. I had echo tests, EKG's and stress test and it showed there might be some blockage in my heart, but they could not be sure.

So this Thursday, I am going to the hospital for a heart cath and possible stint.

This is the last thing I ever thought I would be writing about. I thought I was in good shape, had resting HR of 62, normal BP, not over weight and been hitting the gym for months lifting, but here is the thing...

you can't out exercise genetics.

Hopefully after Thursday's procedures, we will have some answers as to what is going on with me and then they can fix me up!

Question: Anyone have a stint story to share?

2017-05-22 2:37 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: IM to a stint?
Not me, but my Dad had a couple of stents put in and felt 100% better after. Without the exercise your heart would not have been in as good of condition and you might not have survived a cardiac episode (if that is what you had). So I would say triathlon might have saved your life. You'll be back in no time.
2017-05-22 4:01 PM

Veteran
Ohio
Don't fear the stent!

JK, but was in a similar situation as you. Started tri at 45 or so although I never went long. Mostly shorter stuff. Was just turning 50 when I had a had a heart attack (was swimming laps at the Y and started to feel tightness in my chest) Long story short got a helicopter ride and two stents out of the deal.

Because if the hear attack I had to wait a few months to get back to exercising. But after that I worked my way back to being in better shape and faster than before the HA. I always though shortness of breath was normal when exercising...after the HA i found out what was really normal.

The only issue you may have is they will probably put you on the standard package of meds post stent. They really havent caused me any problems, but the beta blocker does tend to put a cap on your heart rate and can affect your peak output.

Best of luck. Much better to have the stents pre heart attack than after the fact.
2017-05-30 12:10 PM
in reply to: buck1400

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

So an update:

The heart cath showed two blockages, one at 70% and the other at 90%!!!  They did a stent on the 90% and got it opened and I will go back in a couple of weeks for the second. I was totally shocked at having an artery that was 90% blocked. Thank God I passed out at that bball game or I would have never known.

5 days later, I feel really good and I have noticed some changes, like I am not as sleepy all the time as I was, and I feel better overall through my body.

I am actually looking forward to the second stent so I can move on!!!

2017-05-30 12:35 PM

User image

Utah
Can't say I have any experience here, but thank God you caught it now! I have followed your blog for years, and though you can't out exercise bad genetics, no denying that your physical activity helped if from being worse.

Bad genetics in my family are in cholesterol. It's one of the main reasons I got into exercise, then running, then tri, because it's bad on both sides of my family.

Prayers for continued luck and health!
2017-06-15 6:51 AM

Veteran
Ohio
Sounds like things went well with the first stent and you prolly had the second one by now.

Have you started straining again? Is your Dr recommending cardiac rehab? I went through it, even though I figured the level of exercise I would be getting in rehab was much less than what I had been doing. I was glad I did. It gave me confidence to exercise without worry about the ticker. Although in my case I had the heart attack/cardiac arrest in the back of my mind early on. Took a while to get past that.

I assume you are on aspirin/plavix? I do bleed easier than i used to but it hasnt been too bad. Sometime I will see a bruise I not remember how I got it.

Best of luck with your recovery. You will be back better than before in no time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM to a stint? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Vineman and IM first timer

Started by afin03
Views: 1153 Posts: 7

2016-05-28 9:55 PM haitwun

IM Canada in 8 weeks, training WAY off

Started by mtrunner6
Views: 693 Posts: 2

2016-05-23 2:51 PM metafizx

IM training - Extra hours go to Strength/flexibility training OR more swim/bike/run

Started by Tootshibbard
Views: 1041 Posts: 4

2016-05-22 2:15 PM miamiamy

Going from marathoner to IM?

Started by Baboon
Views: 2279 Posts: 23

2016-08-30 10:12 PM metafizx

10 weeks till IM - got Plantar Fasciitis

Started by TMan72478
Views: 2181 Posts: 14

2016-11-23 10:41 PM Donskiman