General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Atlanta - need all kinds of advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-22 4:39 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Moving to Atlanta - need all kinds of advice

Since the state forums are no more, I'll ask the big forum... I'll be moving to Atlanta next month and could use any tips or advice local folks might have!

I've heard about the Big Creek Greenway, the in-progress Beltline and Silver Comet Trail, all of which sound super sweet. Are there any other trails or routes that are bike friendly, specifically (I feel like I could run anywhere)? What/where's my best bet for getting in long rides?

Also wondering what are the best local races around? I can certainly look up race calendars but am looking for personal experiences and what races you love and why. 

Best gym for a lap pool? I'll likely land in Alpharetta, Roswell, Sandy Springs or Marietta. (Thoughts on a general place to live are appreciated as well. My work office will be in Dunwoody. Yes I know about the traffic ).

Local tri club experiences? 

Thanks, friends!

2017-05-22 6:34 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Moving to Atlanta - need all kinds of advice
I live on the southside of Atlanta (Peachtree City) but can give a little information. As for tri clubs I have been involved in the PTC club but have friends in the Atlanta tri club. They all speak highly of it and seems to be a lot of support at local races, even a big showing at IM Chatt 70.3 this past weekend.

As for riding I know alot of them ride up in the Sandy Springs area on Columns drive. I recently purchased a VASA ergo bench from a guy that lives up there and it was packed with cyclists the day I was there. Sorry I can not be of more help.
2017-05-22 9:30 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Welcome to ATL!

The city has a lot offer people training for triathlon - regardless of where you choose to live, you'll find resources that facilitate the lifestyle.

I know you mentioned you were aware of the traffic situation but I'll say it again anyway - you're QOL will be greatly enhanced if you live as close as you possibly can to your work. Choose wisely. Oh, if you don't already have it on your phone, download the Waze app.

Re: triathlon:

I've used City of Atlanta pools almost exclusively but I'm not aware of any in the areas you mentioned as possible home locales.

The Silver Comet Trail has been a huge training resource for me over the years.

You'll find the biking in north Ga. to be pretty awesome...

Here's a link to a list of weekly group rides throughout the area: http://sadlebred.com/rides/

Check out the TritheParks series: http://www.tribluesky.com/

Good luck with your transition...

2017-05-23 6:49 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

I'm in Alpharetta, been here for ~15 years. Great place to live, tons of places to bike & run. A bit humid & hot, I'm still not use to that, but otherwise we love it here.

Big Creek Greenway is a great (flat) place to run but I don't ride on it. Some people do, but I prefer to just head out from my house and ride around on various routes I have mapped out over the years. Silver Comet is great for flat long rides, but a bit of a drive, so I rarely go there. I prefer riding on hills anyway, and there are plenty in the area. I belong to Lifetime Fitness and the Alpharetta location has an evening ride (Wednesday I think) & also a Saturday ride. Actually a lot of the bike shops around here have various group rides. Tons of riding options to choose from in North Atlanta. I can't speak for any other areas.

Georgia Multisports puts on great local races, you can see their calendar on the website. Chattanooga is about 2 hours away and is my favorite place to race (HIM, Oly & Full).

Several tri clubs in the Atlanta Area too. Just depends on what you're looking for.

And I second using Waze to get around, I live by that App.

Any questions I'd be happy to try and answer. Good luck with the move!

2017-05-23 8:49 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Dick Lane Velodrome is up in east point, good times to be had there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Atlanta - need all kinds of advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Buying Road Bike (Specialized) - Need Advice

Started by Decoydonna
Views: 1126 Posts: 2

2017-03-04 11:15 AM audiojan

Need advice on purchasing second hand wheels!!!

Started by tmespo
Views: 1126 Posts: 10

2017-01-28 12:18 PM NeilsWheel

Winter Tri advice needed

Started by TTom
Views: 1237 Posts: 7

2016-11-20 5:33 PM Hot Runner

HIM recovery race advice needed

Started by loops
Views: 885 Posts: 6

2016-07-26 3:28 PM loops

Conundrum - Bike Advice needed