Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Zero turn mowers? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-24 10:21 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: Zero turn mowers?
Again BTers, what brand thumbs up or down? Ariens, Cub Cadet, Deere? I need to keep this under or as close to 3K as possible. That should be enough budget to to get most residential grade machines. I spoke to a friend today who says he spent 7400 on a Kubota zero turn mower! Crazy I said but he says the cover with built in fan justify that kind of expense . Think I'll just wear a hat and drive fast. Save 4400 bucks...

2017-05-26 12:15 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: RE: Zero turn mowers?
I think price point should make your decision. Stay away from the no name brands...but Kubota, John Deere, Case....all of them are well reknowned.

Its like asking what power drill or saw you want...DeWalt, Milwakee, etc....to me doesnt matter if they are a quality name. Its whomever is least expensive that day. Just stay away from the no name stuff that wont last.
2017-05-30 10:00 AM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm a big Deere fan personally.  We have a Deere lawn tractor I bought in 2003 and it's still working as good as it did the day we bought it.

One thing of note.  There are name brands and then there's mass produced versions of the same name brands.  You can buy Deere tractors from a Deere dealer or you can get them at big box stores like Lowes.

Stay away from the Lowes versions because they're basically the same tractors as the crap no name ones.

So, go to the legit Deere dealer and look at them there. 

2017-05-31 8:12 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Tejas
Did not know that about the Deere stuff. That explains why side by side, the construction seemed pretty similar across the different brands at Home Depot. All the trim and user interfaces seemed flimsy. One stand out was Ariens IKON x which seems solid. Even the mower deck is welded frame construction and not a piece of sheetmetal formed in a press. Even though this particular model is their lower end 'residential' line, it seems better than the others at the same price point. I've got an Ariens push mower I bought back in 2000 and it's a friggin tank!
2017-09-05 7:52 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by tuwood

Stay away from the Lowes versions because they're basically the same tractors as the crap no name ones.

Also a Deere fan.   The info about the Lowe's Deere equip is incorrect, however.   You can buy the exact same machine a Deere dealer.  They are consumer-grade.    The machines at Lowes are setup by a Deere dealer before being delivered to Lowes.  There will sometimes be a sticker on them from the dealer that set them up. 

For $3000, you're pretty much stuck in the consumer  price range.  You might be able to find a used commercial machine for that much.  Many lawn services will lease their machines for 1 or 2 seasons, and then upgrade.  They can't afford the down time of a used machine. 

Hustler makes a great ZTR for a good price.  My cousin had one, he had it at my house while I was gone for a few years. I used it during the summer.  Indistinguishable in function from a more expensive Deere.

Also for $3000, you could find a used Deere 445 with all-wheel-steer.  You could put 1000 more hours on it and have less trouble and better resale than a used ZTR with 1000 hours.   I have the diesel 455 version, it gets around trees better, and can push a snow plow or blower, if that's a consideration. 

How about that for a first post back after 3 years?  

2017-09-05 7:55 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by moondawg14

Originally posted by tuwood

Also a Deere fan.   The info about the Lowe's Deere equip is incorrect, however.   You can buy the exact same machine a Deere dealer.  They are consumer-grade.    The machines at Lowes are setup by a Deere dealer before being delivered to Lowes.  There will sometimes be a sticker on them from the dealer that set them up. 

For $3000, you're pretty much stuck in the consumer  price range.  You might be able to find a used commercial machine for that much.  Many lawn services will lease their machines for 1 or 2 seasons, and then upgrade.  They can't afford the down time of a used machine. 

Hustler makes a great ZTR for a good price.  My cousin had one, he had it at my house while I was gone for a few years. I used it during the summer.  Indistinguishable in function from a more expensive Deere.

Also for $3000, you could find a used Deere 445 with all-wheel-steer.  You could put 1000 more hours on it and have less trouble and better resale than a used ZTR with 1000 hours.   I have the diesel 455 version, it gets around trees better, and can push a snow plow or blower, if that's a consideration. 

How about that for a first post back after 3 years?  

Outstanding! Welcome back.

2017-09-05 8:02 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I still haven't bought a mower yet. It has been so hot and dry, the yard doesn't need mowing. We did get a little rain with the 'cane and the front is looking a bit scruffy.

After lengthy discussion with the missus, I'm not getting a ZT mower, but a plain old ride on lawn tractor. She is dead set on it and has always wanted one. Considering this woman loves to cut grass and will therefore spend a lot of time on it, I'll honor her wishes and get that lawn tractor she always wanted. Probably going Deere on this and most likely just grab one from Lowes. We should be able to ride it until I'm too old to cut my own grass and hire out the job!
2017-09-05 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by mdg2003 Did not know that about the Deere stuff. That explains why side by side, the construction seemed pretty similar across the different brands at Home Depot. All the trim and user interfaces seemed flimsy. One stand out was Ariens IKON x which seems solid. Even the mower deck is welded frame construction and not a piece of sheetmetal formed in a press. Even though this particular model is their lower end 'residential' line, it seems better than the others at the same price point. I've got an Ariens push mower I bought back in 2000 and it's a friggin tank!

Fabricated decks are a sign of a low-volume machine, where the manufacturer can't afford to make a die.  That can be good (deck can be made from heavier material, with shapes that can't be easily die-formed) or bad (much more subject to human variation, because the deck is welded in a jig, etc)

Don't get me wrong, Ariens makes a nice machine. Double-check which hydraulic pumps and motors they're using... if they built a heavier machine and then skimped out on the drives, you're in for an expensive surprise.  The drive motors are almost always first to fail on ZTRs.  Craigslist is littered with machines that have one motor out and people don't have the cash to fix them. 

Yes, most consumer-grade machines share construction similarities... they are all designed to roughly the same requirements and trying to hit the same price point... so that drives the design. 

Almost the single biggest indicator of how well a deck will cut is the blade tip speed... the faster the better.  if the manufacturer doesn't supply that info, you can figure it out if you're willing to measure some pulleys and do some math.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Zero turn mowers? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

lawn mower troubleshooting Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 6874 Posts: 27

2017-05-17 2:23 PM McFuzz